How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-23-2003, 11:15 PM
dan96max

need help, svx shuts off for no reason

whats up everyone, i came on here to get info for a friend. The cars a 94 svx and we're running out of idea's, the problem is that when he drives the car for a few miles to let it heat up the car just sputters and shuts off and wont start again, it'll turn over, run ruff for a second and as soon as you try to give it gas it dies, after about an hour or so we can go back and it'll fire up again but die again once its warm...so far we've done the following to try and fix the problem, fixed some loose ignition wires, changed spark plugs, fixed power steering leaks, new MAF sensor, tryed disconecting the egr, checked fuel pump and filter, new o2 sensors...what should be the next step here...i was thinking that since it ran low on power steering fluid that the pump may be worn out and locks up puting to much of a strain on the belts but we havent really heard any belt noises coming from the car, it just shuts off and fluid flows out from where the cap of the steering fluid is...just thought i'd ask the ones that know since not many people around here know much about them...any help or ideas would be greatly apreciated
thanx
Dan
Old 08-24-2003, 09:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
I'd check fuel flow next.. May be a bad fuel pump that shuts down once it gets warm..

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 08-24-2003, 09:46 AM

this might be a dumb idea, but some years back I remember a Camaro with a internally rusted, and mostly closed off, muffler that did just this. See if the exhause gas is flowing out the pipe(s).
Old 08-24-2003, 10:15 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I seemed to have heard about a similear SVX from Chicago area before. I never got a chance to check it out. Keep us posted.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-24-2003, 11:34 AM
dan96max

we did check the fuel flow after doing the o2 sensors and breaking down again on the side of the road we had an hour to kill before it would start so he took off one hose from the fuel filter and we turned it to the on position and there was plenty of fuel flowing out...he does have a really bad exhaust leak but im not sure if its blocked, good idea though, next time it shuts off maybe we'll try hitin the exhaust a little bit, my nissan's cat broke inside and every time i'd try to go open throttle it'd push everything back and block the pipe and it wouldnt go anywhere but never died...i'll let him know to check it out...thanks so far for the advice...keep it comin
Old 08-24-2003, 02:47 PM

I think you may have hit on the problem without knowing so. When you took off the fuel line gasoline should have come shooting out, even without the engine running as a good bit of pressure stays in the line.

You need a pressure tester of some sort or even a check of the lines for blockage. should be 26-30 PSI
Old 08-24-2003, 08:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to wynndi Send a message via Yahoo to wynndi
A friend had a similar problem with his '93 that he had just purchased. I opened his air cleaner and the filter was CAKED with dirt. A $5 replacement and things got better!

Old 08-27-2003, 09:01 AM
dan96max

the air filters pretty clean...i guess he drove it yesterday and it was fine but he drove it normal and slow, not beating on it plus he went like a mile or 2 made a stop somwhere and then drove again and it didnt shut off because it didnt get hot enough, but as soon as he puts it to the floor and lets off its gonna die within 3 minutes of leting off, i guess hes gonna try taking it to a subaru dealer that acually knows somthing about the car and see what they say...thanx for the help and any other ideas would be helpfull...you guys remind me of the people on maxima.org and some of the ls1 fbody forums i go on, more like the maxima crowd though, very helpfull and just very well rounded car nuts...anyway...thanx again
--Dan
Old 08-27-2003, 09:55 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by dan96max
i guess hes gonna try taking it to a subaru dealer that acually knows somthing about the car and see what they say
--Dan
Isn't that an oxymoron?
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-30-2003, 03:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
When the car shuts off do any of your dash lights come on? My 92 LS-L had a similar problem, it would shut off only the first time I turn it on and all the dash lights came on. It turns out it was a bad alternator. Keep us posted
Old 08-30-2003, 03:59 PM
dan96max

well we got the car to a subaru dealer, it made it pretty far before it shut off and then they flat beded it there, they told him it was either cam sensors or crank sensors, i cant remember which one he said, they wanted $700 to do it, he checked at autozone and their 150 bucks each for the sensors and then this other smaller subaru shop we know said he'd do it for like 80 bucks so we're gonna head up to the dealership next week with a freinds bobcat trailer and pick the car up and take it to the other shop and get it done, hopfully this is acually the problem with it this time, thanx for the help, i'll keep you guys posted and let ya know if its cam sensors or crank and if it fixes the car...

--Dan