How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-29-2003, 08:47 PM
Hater

electrical weirdness

HELP! i'm going nuts trying to figure out what's loose/shorting in my car. the symptoms:

radio, clock, interior lights and the rear wiper are sometimes all out, but will SOMETIMES come back on if i push one of the overhead light switches (SPOT/DOOR/ROOM/SPOT). it seems like the door locks also make a noise when stuff does kick back on.

i thought it was a problem with the accessory power coming off my ignition switch, but then i realized my gauges are tapped off the fuses in the kick panel, and the gauges have never gone out.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-29-2003, 09:27 PM

Registered SVX
Alan, yes you are involved with something very strange as is often the case with things electrical or electronic. As a result you can not expect advice on a positive fix and can only expect educated guesswork.

There have been posts regarding a short circuit involving the lead to the sun vizor mirror light which is due to flexing every time the vizor is moved. You could be moving the wiring in the roof space when you push on the roof switch panel.

This light may be on the same circuit as your problem accessories. I am unable to check as I do not have US diagrams. It is possible, but I must say not all that likely, that there is a partial short which is enough to drop voltage but not sufficient to open a fuse link.

I can not accept that the circuit would loop through the roof switches so that an intermittent open circuit at that point could be the cause, but who knows ? As this is your only point of pain as it were, you could do worse than remove the switch panel, push about the internals with everything causing trouble switched on and suck and see. At the worst you will eliminate this area from your thinking.

If your investigations turn up another clue advise further. Meantime good luck.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!