Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-27-2003, 05:41 PM
alacrity024

2nd to 3rd flare

hey folks-

lately i've been getting a little flare when i'm applying power, going uphill, and shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear in my 1992 svx equipped with a subaru reman. 4EAT with around 120k miles on it (the tranny.. 150k on the rest of the car)

i'll be accelerating up a hill, in second gear, and it'll go to shift to 3rd, but the rpms will shoot up by about 1500 to 2000 before 3rd gear catches..

is this a brake band issue? a TPS issue? a solenoid issue? a worn gear issue? will changing the tranny fluid be of any help? i realize that the answer is probably going to be "take it to someone who knows what the @($* they're talking about and ask THEM" but it'd be nice to have an idea what's going on..

-adam
Old 08-28-2003, 05:09 AM
ww111

I've been posting about the same prob for a while now. My shop cannot find it at all and this includes 2 rebuilds.

First of all, the flare is destroying the internals of the tranny. in both rebuilds the bands and clutches were fried.

I changed the TPS and there was no change. the shop changed the solenoids and there was no change. I removed the resistor so I got full line pressure but I think this is a band-aid fix. I haven't had a flare since I did this.

I'm still looking. I'm getting a new TCU. I'll report back once it's installed.

Collins
Old 08-28-2003, 05:49 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Adam I would go for the brake band adjustment. It could need doing after that mileage.

Cheap and easy Well cheaper and easier than burning up the box.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:53 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Mine used to do that. I bought a new TPS. It hasn't happened again. Ever. Get a new TPS.

- Rob
Old 08-28-2003, 07:27 PM
alacrity024

i'm thinking that it IS the brake band.. if it were the TPS i don't think it would feel like it was in Neutral in between gears..

anyway, i'd love to do the adjustment myself, inasmuch as i've been quoted around $120 by the local dealership and nobody else in town seems to know what the hell a "brake band" is.

any suggestions?

-adam
Old 08-28-2003, 08:06 PM

it's not hard, but does require a bit of contortionism

see this thread.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=6661
Old 08-29-2003, 12:07 AM
alacrity024

well thanks for that link. nick did a really good job writing up the procedure, and i think that i should have no problem adjusting the band myself.

my only obstacle at this time is that i cannot locate the adjusting screw mechanism. i just can't seem to find the bugger. maybe i'm not looking in the right place.. even my factory service manual doesn't seem to provide a clear description of its location. can anyone point me in the proper direction?

thx

-adam
Old 08-29-2003, 08:09 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Don't know if any of you are interested in a TCU... But I am selling mine out of my Auto... look in the For Sale forum.... make me an offer if you're interested...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-29-2003, 11:02 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Don't worry,

according to the factory-trained expert at my local Subaru dealership, the 4EAT does not have a brake band

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 08-29-2003, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
well thanks for that link. nick did a really good job writing up the procedure, and i think that i should have no problem adjusting the band myself.

my only obstacle at this time is that i cannot locate the adjusting screw mechanism. i just can't seem to find the bugger. maybe i'm not looking in the right place.. even my factory service manual doesn't seem to provide a clear description of its location. can anyone point me in the proper direction?

thx

-adam
You will to lean far over the driver's side fender and feel down along the driver's side top of the transmission housing (definitely want to do this when it's cold). The mm nut is flush to the case and the 6mm square stud sticking out is only out maybe 1/4-1/2 inch above the nut. One edge of the nut can just barely been seen in the region about midway between the vent hose and the starter motor and just as the housing disappears under the tunnel. The job itself will definitely be a "by touch" effort.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:19 PM
ww111

Picts

I'm doing the adjustment as we speak...

I posted some pics in this thread
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=12865

it's not as bad as it sounded

Collins