IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-21-2003, 05:27 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Question electrical question

I have something strange happening with Penny.
I noticed a few days ago that the lights behind the gear markers in the dash were flickering. Didn't really think anything of it. This morning I drove in the dark (that rarely happens) and discovered that all my lights are flickering. Dash lights, dome light, and headlights. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to drive to work. By the time I got there, the flickering had ceased.
I took Penny to my shop this afternoon and had them check the battery and alternator, both checked out ok, although the alternator is running a bit low.
But, I had driven the 15-20 minutes back to my mechanic from work and the flickering had ceased when the guy was checking it. Almost as if the battery had fully charged while driving for that amount of time.
The terminals are kinda corroded and they suggested that I clean them off, which I will do.
Anyone have any other insight?

~~Michelle

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 08-21-2003, 05:33 PM
Kerven Subaru

My recommendation would be the same with regards to the battery terminals.

Mike
Kerven Subaru
Old 08-21-2003, 06:21 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Clean the terminals. If it comes back, your alternator is going to die soon.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-21-2003, 06:51 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I heard if you superglue "pennies" to your battery one next to the positive and one next to the negative terminals they attract the corrosive chemicals keeping them away from your terminals. Check the harness leading to your alternator and make sure it's plug is securely clipped into the socket in the alternator. Make sure the connection is clean too. The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago and that was it.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 08-21-2003, 08:53 PM

might want to take the other ends of the cables loose and give them a wire brushing clean-up to make sure the conenctions are good on both ends. the cable connection (from the negative post) to the body was a bit corroded on mine.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:05 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Flickering

Michelle

I agree 100% with what people have said above, particularly if you have that corrosion on your terminals. You need to clean that off, and retighten the battery terminal connections, having first smeared petroleum jelly or some such over the posts to keep corrosion at bay.

As the flickering was noticable on your dash lights and your headlights, you should also do a little further checking. You may have a bad earth connection, or a poorly seated relay on your lights. You should open, clean and tighten/reseat the earth connection to the fuse board in the wheel well, and also the earth connection for the fuse/relay board under the hood. They will be easy to find, as they will be the ones screwed to the metal of the body, and are usually black in colour.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-22-2003, 09:09 AM

flickering

Ran my 92 for quite a while with this problem, annoying, but car never died on me. Did the battery cable upgrade and it was still there. Changed the alternator and it was finally fixed.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:03 PM
MINEZ BETTER

electrical

truthfully replace the alternater, with either bosch 110amp, with the upgrade to the battery is a must. or you can go with the o.e. style from subaru, with no worries
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon