Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-15-2003, 12:34 AM

Registered SVX
The noise is likely due to a relief valve bouncing on its seat givng a sort of high frequency splutter like the lips of a bugler and as the result of air passing through rather than solid fluid. There should be no lasting damage.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-15-2003, 11:47 AM

That's good to know. I'm not too mechanically inclined so I tend to get a bit uneasy when strange things happen.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:28 PM

Damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's still smoking after two pressure washes and it's still making that damn whining noise. That's it, I'm sending it to a mechanic as I'm tired of dealing with it.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:42 PM

If you're still having the whining noise, you might consider replacing all your ps fluid. The resevoir cap is vented and if you spray it with high pressure water, or even just a garden hose, you can get water inside. I learnt this the hard way a few weeks ago. Fortunately, I was able to suck the water out as it didn't mix with the fluid and I hadn't started the car. But, if you got water inside the pump, the pump internals may not be receiving lubrication. The pump will make a loud, rpm-dependent whine when low on fluid, and water or aeration should cause similar symptoms. The addition of water to an already full system may have raised the fluid level high enough to cause leaks. The fluid will overflow out the vented cap if the fluid level is too high, especially if you turn the wheel to either extereme. Your car may stilll be smoking because the fluid is still leaking out due to the high level.

By the way, I am a new member who would like to thank everyone for their contribution to this most informative SVX site. It has helped me more than once in repairing my '93 SVX.

Keith
Old 08-17-2003, 12:01 AM

Hi Keith welcome to the forum. I'm still having problems, so I think a complete drain and refill would be in order.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 08-17-2003 at 12:35 AM.