How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-06-2003, 09:30 PM
MINEZ BETTER

surge before the ecu goes in closed loop

anyone exspeirence in the morning, right when you start the car and go the cars surges like the ignition timming goes advance and then retard till the car goes into closed loop.

just wondering to lazy to find out myself.. thats why i have you guyz
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 06-06-2003, 09:36 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Do you mean the way that when you're accelerating it seems to do so in waves/pulses/surges?
Old 06-06-2003, 09:38 PM
MINEZ BETTER

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Do you mean the way that when you're accelerating it seems to do so in waves/pulses/surges?
surges while the engine is cold and is gone when engine is in closed loop
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 06-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
yep, mine does, but it's gone as soon as the car comes up to running temp (temp gauge settles in to its normal position).
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Would that be resolved my the ECU bead crush? What about TPS adjustment?
Old 06-07-2003, 01:32 AM
MINEZ BETTER

well truthfully that problem cannot be resolved becuase the baramic pressure senser in the ecu is what cause that surge till it corrects itself threw closed loop.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:48 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
so it "holds" the barometric pressure it last read when the car was turned off the night before and then has to adjust to the next day's reading?

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 06-07-2003, 12:22 PM
MINEZ BETTER

THE ALTITUDE SENSER IS CALLES BAROMETER IT ADJUSTED BY THE ECU, TO COMPANSATE FOR AIR FUEL RATIO.

I KNOW WHEN IM ABOUT 6K FEET ABOVE SEA LEVEL, AND I START THE CAR IN THE MORNING MY RIDE WONT MOVE. AND WHEN IM AT HOME IT MUCH BETTER. I CHECK FOR VACCUM LEAKS WITH THE SHOP SMOKE MACHINE AND HAVE NONE UNDER 13 POUNDS OF PRESSURE CAPPING OFF THE EXHAUST TIPS, AND PLUGGED THE AIR FLOW METER SO ALL THE SMOKE STAYS IN THE MOTOR. THERE WAS NO LEAKS. UNMETERED AIR WILL DO THE SAME SYMTOMS LIKE THIS BUT OUR CASE ITS NOT.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
shows you how much thought the Subaru engineers gave to the ECU when they designed the car (altitude sensing in a '92!)... my guess it that they didn't factor in folks making a lot drives between sealevel and 6k feet above sealevel. Probably a little bit of injector sizing design thrown in the mix here too.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 06-07-2003, 01:45 PM
MINEZ BETTER

IM GONNA TRY TO SEE IF I CAN ELIMINATE THE BAROMETRIC SENSOR AND WIRE IT TO A ROTARY KNOB THAT CHANGES RISISTANCE. WILL SEE
AT THE SHOP SINCE 6AM STILL HAVE PLEANTY OF TIME TO WORK ON SOMETHING.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
You might just consider a thorough throttle body cleaning. Mine surged within a 500 rpm range at about 1.5 cycles per second until the engine got warm. It was worse when the weather was cold. I finally decided to try cleaning the throttle body this past summer and the surging has completely gone away. It's worth a shot before rewiring anything.

KuoH