Registered SVX
Re: Trunk Fuel Resistor

The relay has been ordered
Old 04-25-2019, 06:57 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

The relay did not fix the issue.

I tested and compared the readings between the old/new relays and they were essentially the same.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:46 PM

Registered SVX

Update on more things tried...

Removed the fuel tank cap and tested the 6 pins on both sides for continuity - Pass
Used power probe to double-check the new fuel pump works while in the tank - Pass
Checked multiple grounding points on the car - Pass

I also hooked up my multi-meter to pins 1 and 4 on the male fuel pump connector and checked for voltages. When the key was first in the ignition voltage was over 12. Then on the 5th beep of the chime the fuel pump relay clicked and then voltage dropped to 0. I am not sure if this is normal or not but as the fuel pump plug was not connected to the tank it could be expected behavior. At least I know power to the tank is there.

Sigh...
Old 04-26-2019, 05:10 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflystyle View Post
Update on more things tried...

Removed the fuel tank cap and tested the 6 pins on both sides for continuity - Pass
Used power probe to double-check the new fuel pump works while in the tank - Pass
Checked multiple grounding points on the car - Pass

I also hooked up my multi-meter to pins 1 and 4 on the male fuel pump connector and checked for voltages. When the key was first in the ignition voltage was over 12. Then on the 5th beep of the chime the fuel pump relay clicked and then voltage dropped to 0. I am not sure if this is normal or not but as the fuel pump plug was not connected to the tank it could be expected behavior. At least I know power to the tank is there.

Sigh...
When you turn the key on the pump will run for about 2 seconds than stop till the the engine is turning over.

Maybe the fuel is not the problem. Start at the engine and see if there is spark at a plug and fuel at the injectors.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:08 PM

Registered SVX

There is spark but its the fuel that is not being delivered to the engine. I still agree with trevor that it is a grounding issue, I just have yet to actually find it.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:17 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
There is spark but its the fuel that is not being delivered to the engine. I still agree with trevor that it is a grounding issue, I just have yet to actually find it.
OK If it is a grounding issue, then some electrical unit won't be working.
You have found that the pump and modulator is working, that leaves the filter, the roll over valve, the fuel regulator and the lines to check.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:51 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I have not specifically referred to an overall grounding issue. You have not properly followed up on my suggestions. Bouncing from pillar to post will not solve your problem.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-04-2019, 06:33 PM

Registered SVX

There has been progress!!!!

I believe to have isolated the issue to a faulty/intermittent connection between the fuel pump plug on the outside of the tank. When checking continuity between both ends of that plug, I found that the continuity would drop when the plug was moved or jiggled.

After getting the plug in just the right place I was able to consistently start the car.

My next step is to determine if there is just a loose connection or if the wire has been compromised anywhere else during its run.

More details to follow.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
There has been progress!!!!

I believe to have isolated the issue to a faulty/intermittent connection between the fuel pump plug on the outside of the tank. When checking continuity between both ends of that plug, I found that the continuity would drop when the plug was moved or jiggled.

After getting the plug in just the right place I was able to consistently start the car.

My next step is to determine if there is just a loose connection or if the wire has been compromised anywhere else during its run.

More details to follow.
Good news, must be somewhere between the backseat plug and the tank plug. Either the wire taking power to the tank or ground coming back, or their connections.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:57 PM

Registered SVX

No surprise but I have been unable to find this part 81802PA100.

Interestingly there was a tag on the cord itself with this information - how convenient! If I am unable to source it new then I may consider rebuilding it myself. Ideally with new plugs as the ones on the car are no longer ideal.

Attached are pictures for reference.

You can see you really would not be able to tell there is an issue with the connection based on the looks of the plug. There is an ever so-slight discoloration on the upper left male plug that could be some corrosion but that is a guess.

While on the subject. Does anyone know how to remove the body plug for this cable? I attempted to push it in but it did not want to budge free. I did not want to exert excessive force without taking a look from underneath.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front_2_smaller.jpg (212.0 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg plug_smaller.jpg (415.1 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg 81802PA100_smaller.jpg (295.0 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg rear_smaller.jpg (258.3 KB, 352 views)
Old 05-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
No surprise but I have been unable to find this part 81802PA100.

Interestingly there was a tag on the cord itself with this information - how convenient! If I am unable to source it new then I may consider rebuilding it myself. Ideally with new plugs as the ones on the car are no longer ideal.

Attached are pictures for reference.

You can see you really would not be able to tell there is an issue with the connection based on the looks of the plug. There is an ever so-slight discoloration on the upper left male plug that could be some corrosion but that is a guess.

While on the subject. Does anyone know how to remove the body plug for this cable? I attempted to push it in but it did not want to budge free. I did not want to exert excessive force without taking a look from underneath.
They don't look that bad, that discoloured pin is the power wire connection, what is the male pin on the tank plug that goes into it look like.
Don't know how to pull the plug out of the floor, look from under to see, and check the wire there also in case it has been damaged.
Getting closer.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:51 AM

Registered SVX

I spent more time cleaning the connector to see if I could find more to the story. As it turns out there was something I missed under the grime that I did not see before. On the side of the bad connector there was a brown mark where it seems to have melted slightly. On closer inspection the portion on the plug also appeared to have melted slightly. Yes I have not yet gone under the car as I need more free time but I believe this to be my smoking gun. I will upload pictures later of my attempt at capturing the failure.

Now I am still searching for a new/used part but I essentially just need to replace the connector. I have found a couple of online stores that sell just the plugs but they are at a ridiculous price - $75 to $88 just for the connector!!!

https://findpigtails.com/product/y42a6/
&
https://connectorexperts.com/i-26243...tegory:1261632

Nearly anything else would be a cheaper option but I am stuck until I find how I want to proceed. I should also mention the crimped wire connector was so brittle it broke while removing it from the plug during my inspection.

If anyone has this plug or knows the universal name instead of these propriety model numbers these sites are using that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Can you re-wire the “ good” ebnd of the connector, as well as the bad one?

6-pin male /female connectors are less than $8.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Molex-Circuit...ateway&sr=8-11

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 05-07-2019, 09:16 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Can you re-wire the “ good” ebnd of the connector, as well as the bad one?

6-pin male /female connectors are less than $8.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Molex-Circuit...ateway&sr=8-11
The bad end is the portion that connects to the top of the fuel tank. I can't rewire that end unfortunately.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:00 PM

Registered SVX

As promised here are the pictures of the damaged/burned area. From the side you can see the discoloration and from the front you can see the melted divider which is no longer straight as the one next to it.

More good news... I hope.

After hours of searching it looks like this connector is used on various other cars/motorcycles. Most notably on a Suzuki ignition switch on GSXR 05-13' and the Dealer mode connector. I found a 5-pack online for less than $20 shipped so it is definitely worth trying. Attached is a picture of the Suzuki replacement OEM part 6180-6771. To my untrained eye they seem the same. I was unable to find measurements to verify but in about a week I will find out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg burned_side.jpg (104.2 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg burned_front.jpg (83.3 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg 6180-6771.jpg (21.7 KB, 340 views)