Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 PM

Registered SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Trevor,

I have my fans hardwired on to full speed. Mine still overheated.

Matt
Old 01-26-2010, 02:31 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I accept your explanation that you are not good at reading and are unable to comprehend(understand and take in) any complicated issue. In the future I will take this into account. (Next time I post anything for you to read, I will remember what you have now posted.) I make a statement of fact. Sarcasm is not intended.
Your entire last post is a prime example of the holier-than-thou nature which leads most of us to ignore what you say or at the very least discount it. Simply because we find it irritating to read your roundabout posting style does not translate to having an inability to read or understand what we have read.

Have you not noticed that it was quite possible for everyone else to convey these "complex issues" in plain English? Imagine that; a technical discussion devoid of unnecessary filler!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:31 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Cause and Effect

I can understand why Trevor asked the question regards the fans but in a vehicle so well acoustically silenced as the SVX is, I can't imaging it would be possible from the driver seat to say with certainty if one or two fans are working all the time.

In my car I can hear the fan/fans working or not working, but there is no appreciable sound difference for two fans over one fan, not to my ears anyway. Maybe you guys in warmer countries drive with your windows open a lot?

On a related but tangential topic it has to be acknowledged that the operation of the fans in a high heat situation is designed to speed up the dumping of excess heat, or assist with cooling if you like. As such their operation is an inherent and important part of the installed system.

Just the same if the electric fans are having to work full time [overtime, if you like ] in a non modified EG33 to control a heat problem, then you are in a situation where you are merely using the fans to control or ameliorate the Effect which is overheating, rather than discover and adjust the Cause of this overheating.

In climates where high ambient temperatures mitigate against the effect of the two fans in cooling a hard worked EG33 such as Matt's case above, then we are back to the situation that another part of the installed cooling system must be falling down on the job. That could be a flow or cooling imbalance between the blocks or a restriction to flow that only happens under high pump speeds or a radiator that does not flow enough coolant, a number of things.

The fans are not the problem here, although a full-time on switch would be a sensible addition for hard worked cars or cars operating in extreme heat areas. We are still trying to identify and define possible flow restrictions and agree on a solution that will fix the problem. Nobody currently doing modifications to the SVX cooling system has the benefit of a research laboratory to measure Cause and Effect modification by modification.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-26-2010, 03:15 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Cause and Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
I can understand why Trevor asked the question regards the fans but in a vehicle so well acoustically silenced as the SVX is, I can't imaging it would be possible from the driver seat to say with certainty if one or two fans are working all the time.------------

The fans are not the problem here, although a full-time on switch would be a sensible addition for hard worked cars or cars operating in extreme heat areas.-----------
Joe, you complicate the issue and bury my post.

The thread is full of such surplus comment and yet I am the one currently accused of same.

I have asked a simple and exact question. It is obvious why I have asked the question. That is because it is very possible that the fans were not running. Now we have endless text pointing out the obvious, i.e. why this might not have been detected.

You then go on to try and relate my post to Tony's problem and still further confuse the issue. What is the point?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:17 AM

Joe SVX fans both runat the same time at at the same speed. They are 3 speed. The top speed will not come on if the AC is off even if the engine is boiling.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:44 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Joe SVX fans both runat the same time at at the same speed. They are 3 speed. The top speed will not come on if the AC is off even if the engine is boiling.
Tony
Thanks Tony.

That's why I suggested an "over-ride" switch that could force the top speed function for high heat situations.

Trevor, with respect there was no intention to confuse the issue or bury your post. Nor am I one who usually criticises your posting style. [although you will never be accused of the same ]

My point is valid and important. People are experiencing overheating even with fans working on full. It's vital and important to ensure they are working as intended but the cure for the overheating problems lies elsewhere in the system.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-26-2010, 04:01 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Your entire last post is a prime example of the holier-than-thou nature which leads most of us to ignore what you say or at the very least discount it. Simply because we find it irritating to read your roundabout posting style does not translate to having an inability to read or understand what we have read.

Have you not noticed that it was quite possible for everyone else to convey these "complex issues" in plain English? Imagine that; a technical discussion devoid of unnecessary filler!
It is a fact that it is more than irritating that here, many posts do not clearly define the authors intended message. My statements are direct and exact and are not round about. You are stating that any person writing in an adult fashion, necessarily illustrates a holier-than-thou attitude, ---- balls.

Your middle attempted sentence represents childish English and bad grammar. Try --- " The fact that", in lieu of "Simply because". If you are unaware of the difference, that is your problem. I do not intend dumb down to your level.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:21 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
You are stating that any person writing in an adult fashion, necessarily illustrates a holier-than-thou attitude, ---- balls.

Your middle attempted sentence represents childish English and bad grammar. Try --- " The fact that", in lieu of "Simply because". If you are unaware of the difference, that is your problem. I do not intend dumb down to your level.
Choosing one sentence out of someone's post and using it to disregard everything else they've said without addressing the points present in that post is exactly why you come off the way you do, Trevor.

Could you not see how insulting your post to shotgunslade was? The way you wrote it was not the way an adult should speak to other intelligent adults. It is obvious by reviewing this thread that he does have the ability to read and comprehend English. Comprehension is not the issue; rather, it is rather the way you refuse to directly address the topic. You fill your posts with needless commentary rather than sticking to the technical problems at hand like everyone else has done.

Since I do not own an SVX and will not again own an SVX, I suppose I have no right to impose in this thread any further. With that parting message I will return to passively watching everyone's progress and hope that those here with more valid positions in the community may echo or more better express my observations.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:26 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Trevor:

There is no need to address any more posts to me. I do not wish any more of your "help." So far, you have contribued nothing tangible to this discussion, whetner experience with the issue, or expeiments with it. We would all be better off if you developed an allergy to your keyboard. Rest assured that any further posts from you will be unread at this end.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 01-26-2010, 06:18 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt View Post
Trevor,

I have my fans hardwired on to full speed. Mine still overheated.

Matt
Thank you Matt,

A similar courteous, prompt, explicit, response from shotgunslade, in reply to my original post offering him a assistance, would have been equally well received.

Sincerely, Trevor.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:35 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Choosing one sentence out of someone's post and using it to disregard everything else they've said without addressing the points present in that post is exactly why you come off the way you do, Trevor.

Could you not see how insulting your post to shotgunslade was? The way you wrote it was not the way an adult should speak to other intelligent adults. It is obvious by reviewing this thread that he does have the ability to read and comprehend English. Comprehension is not the issue; rather, it is rather the way you refuse to directly address the topic. You fill your posts with needless commentary rather than sticking to the technical problems at hand like everyone else has done.

Since I do not own an SVX and will not again own an SVX, I suppose I have no right to impose in this thread any further. With that parting message I will return to passively watching everyone's progress and hope that those here with more valid positions in the community may echo or more better express my observations.
As previously I again exactly address the points involved. I have never refused to directly address a topic. No one else has stuck to the technical problems at hand. It is a recorded fact that I have been trying to correct this exact problem.

Shotgunslade made the introductory statement --- “I have to say that half the time, I don't understand what you are saying.”
Then continued with --- “In any event, I have no idea what point of view you are bringing to this discussion. Rather than try to decipher your posts, I mostly ignore them.” These were virulent words.

As a result of these statements, I responded accordingly by clarifying my wording. The fact that I had not received a reply to a simple statement made this necessary and logical, as it had been made very clear in very terse language, that I was not being understood.

My reply was factual. I am not responsible for clear text being interpreted as sarcasm.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:06 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
Trevor:

There is no need to address any more posts to me. I do not wish any more of your "help." So far, you have contribued nothing tangible to this discussion, whetner experience with the issue, or expeiments with it. We would all be better off if you developed an allergy to your keyboard. Rest assured that any further posts from you will be unread at this end.
You are able to address me by my Christian name, but constitute no more than a very poor signal within cyberspace.

When this thread runs its course, I will list each fact which I have contributed. I have a very clear understanding developing, in regard to a somewhat unsavoury aspect perhaps not apparent at the moment.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Diverse, diffuse, chaotic and difficult to decipher as this thread may be, it is still too valuable to the community to allow it to slide into petty interpersonal bickering.

Please observe the rules and keep on the technical topic, and away from personal rancour.

Thanks.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 AM

Registered SVX

I have a stock cooling setup (radiator, lines, crossover, etc.). The only change I have is that I HAVE PUT A SWITCH BETWEEN THE IGNITION AND FANS. When the switch is on, both fans run on the highest speed. I spliced the wires into all of the fan leads.

I can say with certainty that with my setup, which at the time included a blown head-gasket, the fans did not make a difference in any way. Stopped or driving, fans on, fans off, and any combination of the above.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I have a stock cooling setup (radiator, lines, crossover, etc.). The only change I have is that I HAVE PUT A SWITCH BETWEEN THE IGNITION AND FANS. When the switch is on, both fans run on the highest speed. I spliced the wires into all of the fan leads.

I can say with certainty that with my setup, which at the time included a blown head-gasket, the fans did not make a difference in any way. Stopped or driving, fans on, fans off, and any combination of the above.
Cam, I'd like to make a comment on what you say here, and I hope I understand what you mean.

If you had a head gasket gone and an overheating problem then perhaps it is no surprise that the stock fans were not able to keep temperatures down even at full belt.

Fans working on an otherwise standard engine without a cooling problem will have a positive effect if they are set up properly. By set up properly I mean that attention should be given to ensure that all the air drawn through the rad is coming from the front grille area, i.e. from outside the car, not from the engine bay, which is warm air.

I'm saying this because practically every SVX you look at no longer has the piece of foam in place across between the rad and the aircon matrix.

At the Japanese Car Show I was discussing cooling [and intercooling!] with some racing teams last year and they pay meticulous attention that all the air drawn through the rad is cold air from outside, sealing up any side gaps or top gaps such as exist with the SVX twin rad set-up. In the case of the SVX at speed cool air forced onto the rad can actually get through the aircon rad, then bypass into the engine compartment if that is the path of least resistance. This has to have a negative effect on cooling capability and should be attended to by racers.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl