Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxersix View Post
Sorry I've been out of this thread for awhile Been fighting a chest cold and my computer crashed a few weeks back. Had to wait for a damn recovery/reboot CD from the manufacture

Can someone take/post/send me a picture of the OEM lower SVX radiator hose attached to the rad and pump. A straight on pic from below would be ideal.

I haven't been able to do a single thing here due to the above crap, but I did get the pump and thermo housing form the member here and I'd like to do a little testing before I dig into the next customer project I have scheduled up here.

I can't really go by anything with my WRX as it's not setup like you guys have. Different rad, different frontal area, WRX purge tank, etc, etc. There's absolutely no way I can replicate your cars' running status.

FWIW I have not been able to get this car to overheat, but again my system is different and it's also ~15-30F out here in the winter months.
About time you checked back in

Wish you had posted yesterday! I was under my son's SVX replacing his radiator (you don't even want to ask me why I had to replace the radiator) and could have taken all the pics necessary. I'll see if I can't post up a pic of the lower hose, since you've got the pump and 'stat cover.

Here's a question for you - what's the ID of the outlet on the radiator in your Impreza that has the EG33 in it?

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-24-2010, 05:56 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
As you are so fond of saying in this thread, you have provided no evidence that you are anything but a person arguing with people whose credentials are not in debate. If you wish to resolve this grave error in my judgement, then it would appear the resolution is simple.
I could comply with your inaccurate sarcasm, but I have no desire to duplicate the several others who triumphantly blow trumpet.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
About time you checked back in

Wish you had posted yesterday! I was under my son's SVX replacing his radiator (you don't even want to ask me why I had to replace the radiator) and could have taken all the pics necessary. I'll see if I can't post up a pic of the lower hose, since you've got the pump and 'stat cover.

Here's a question for you - what's the ID of the outlet on the radiator in your Impreza that has the EG33 in it?

-Bill
40mm if i remember correctly. It's a ebay aluminum tank rad, 2" core. Supposed to be an OE fitment. I used an OEM WRX lower rad hose that I had to trim back a tiny bit to make it fit. It's still not 100% perfect as it's a little askew to clear the tubular subframe/crash bar I made for the front of the car. The hose was a tiny loose over the thermo cover on the pump.

I can easily mod OE thermo covers to suit this larger fitment if one so desires. I have yet to see that that particular mod works on a real world car at high loads though. I could test one on my car but again since my setup is quite a bit different the results may not be the same on an SVX. Loading my car up on a dyno at high continuous RPM would generate heat, but my overall cooling system setup and frontal air inlet is drastically different than the SVX. Even my rear radiator fan shroud and fan is different.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxersix View Post
40mm if i remember correctly. It's a ebay aluminum tank rad, 2" core. Supposed to be an OE fitment. I used an OEM WRX lower rad hose that I had to trim back a tiny bit to make it fit. It's still not 100% perfect as it's a little askew to clear the tubular subframe/crash bar I made for the front of the car. The hose was a tiny loose over the thermo cover on the pump.

I can easily mod OE thermo covers to suit this larger fitment if one so desires. I have yet to see that that particular mod works on a real world car at high loads though. I could test one on my car but again since my setup is quite a bit different the results may not be the same on an SVX. Loading my car up on a dyno at high continuous RPM would generate heat, but my overall cooling system setup and frontal air inlet is drastically different than the SVX. Even my rear radiator fan shroud and fan is different.
Adam,
Okay, so this is interesting...Stock SVX rad's outlet is 33mm ID, your rad's outlet is 40mm ID, and Tony's modified PWR rad's outlet is 45mm ID. Overheating with the stock outlet size and no overheating with a 40 mm or 45 mm outlet. Huuummmm, could there be something here? The only apparent fly in the ointment here is that your water pump still has a 33 mm ID inlet and the balance of your coolant system "around" the EG33 block is different...oh, never mind
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 01-24-2010, 07:13 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I think that the testing that Tony and Jones have done, has shown that the main problem that has affected Steve and Dan has been found, and rectified. The results are pretty conclusive.

The clue came with Tony’s pressure testing on his own car. The graph that he produced (post #299) showed that the pressure at the thermostat housing, fell as the rpm went up. That showed the possibility, that because of the temp of the water, and the negative pressure, at the thermostat housing, the coolant could boil.

As John (SVX Commuter) says, and I respect that John has been with pumps long enough to have found all the problems. The boiling starts to build steam or vapour at the centre of the impeller, to implead the flow. This then reduces the flow of coolant through the engine. The engine starts to heat up, and the coolant entering the pump, increases in temperature, so it will boil earlier at the same negative pressure. This is a compounding effect, the more vapour entering the pump, will further reduce the flow through the engine to the result, of the coolant in the block boiling.

The vapour is the result of temp and pressure, and does not leave the pump.. As the vapour rises up the impeller vanes, the pressure increases and the vapour condenses back to water. The pressure in the engine block will remain high, even though the flow is reducing.

The testing that Tony has done with the test rig has shown that when the inlet to the pump is increased, the negative pressure at the pump is reduced, and Steve has proven the theory with an excellent result in the buggy. This is the best testing we could have wished for. Racing in very high temps, and sustained high rpms, the only difference to Dan’s car (besides the car) was a different radiator.

With what we have learned, if Tom uses the modified thermostat housing, Dan will have the same results as Steve. The modified top pipes should be retained to ensure, that with the increased flow that the thermostat mod will allow, there will be even flow through the two sides. Harvey.
The problem involving an SVX cooling system has not yet been found or established and there have not been any conclusive results regardless of conjecture.

As is the illustration shows, pressure was tested at a point within the pump housing and after the pump cap/cover/elbow. Therefore the alleged boiling due to a drop in pressure, must be confined to the pump housing and a point after the radiator outlet and pipe. Therefore increasing the size of radiator and or outlet i.e. that comprising the inlet to the pump, can not alter the situation you describe.

The suggested problem is confined to the pump cover, and as a result this statement is not correct:- ”The testing that Tony has done with the test rig has shown that when the inlet to the pump is increased, the negative pressure at the pump is reduced, and Steve has proven the theory with an excellent result in the buggy.”

Conjecture with reference to a centre outlet is also concluded and this modification given a second thumbs down.

The boiling theory remains to be proven. That in respect of a larger bottom pipe is disproved.

Tom has come to the correct conclusion, and does not intend to make a radiator modification, having due regard in respect of the cost and work involved.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:18 PM

Bill I think the difference in the heads is not worth worrying about at this point in time. As Tom suggested we need to find a way around the Termostate issue. I want to do it different to Tom by fiting the themostate in the top pipe and being able to turn the coolant return off and on based on temp in the engine.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.

Last edited by Dessertrunner; 01-24-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Bill I think the difference in the heads is not worth worrying about at this point in time. As Tom suggested we need to find a way around the Termostate issue. I want to do it different to Tom by fiting the themostate in the top pipe and being able to turn the coolant return off and on based on temp in the engine.
Tony
Tony,
I think we're in agreement here. My latest posts have been on two points:
1. That the difference you're seeing between the two heads is probably within the error bars of your instrumentation, thus "good enough" to not spend any additional effort looking at , and
2. The outlet on the Radiator in Adams EG33-equipped WRX (which is not showing any signs of overheating) is 40mm ID (sitting square between our 33mm ID stock radiator outlet and your 45mm ID modified PWR radiator outlet).
I do agree that the relocation of the 'stat should be the next course of action. It will be interesting to see how changing the restriction to the "return" line affects the overall system. How is your proposed approach different from what Tom has proposed to do with Dan's car (i.e. add an in-line 'stat to the line feeding the radiator) other than being able to "turn off the return flow (need some help here on how you intend to do this ) ?

Adam,
I flipped back into the thread and took another look at the pics your posted of your EG33 in its WRX "home". Could you post up a simple diagram detailing the set up of the coolant system you're running? There is definitely more going on than what one can see in the pictures!

Cheers,
Bill

My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 01-24-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:00 PM

Bill a number of cars use a thermostate that when closed lets coolant flow back to the pump with out going through the radiator. When the engine gets hot it open and force all coolant throught the radiator. Thats the sort of set up I want as engine can do with all the coolant going through the radiator when hot.

After what I found on the water pump only I did a set up on the engine just changing the thermo cap and have no radiator in stead had the 45mm clear pipe. At that point there was no air and all was perfect then I put the new PWR the one with the 42mm ID (need to keep it all correct) and found that there was some air only above 4,000 rpm. As a result of this I decided that I needed to move the inlet to the centre.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I could comply with your inaccurate sarcasm, but I have no desire to duplicate the several others who triumphantly blow trumpet.
Were my sarcasm inaccurate, there would have been degrees on your wall rather than trumpets in your hall.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Adam,
I flipped back into the thread and took another look at the pics your posted of your EG33 in its WRX "home". Could you post up a simple diagram detailing the set up of the coolant system you're running? There is definitely more going on than what one can see in the pictures!

Cheers,
Bill
Yessir, crude but to the point:

WRX purge tank is the highest point in the system. Small line off the upper right-side rad tank(left side of the picture) is the bleed back to the purge tank, found OEM on the WRX and Sti.

Throttle body cooling passage has been bypassed, thus not shown as being plumbed in.

I plugged the ports at the back of the head as the one line ran too close to the steering shaft and was more of a liability for rupture than was worth having.

Stock crossover, stock thermo housing. Single 1600CFM slim fan mounted on fully sealed rear radiator fan shroud(my own) with bypass flaps. Front also has fully ducted radiator shrouding. Far from OEM. No lost air going around the radiator core at either side.

The line from the heater core goes to the top port of the purge tank, return line comes from the bottom of the tank. Any air in the system stays in that purge tank until it's bled off through the cap down to the system reservoir.

Last edited by Boxersix; 01-24-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:38 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Were my sarcasm inaccurate, there would have been degrees on your wall rather than trumpets in your hall.
Others are treating this as a social thread, so that I might as well l join in.

There are certificates in my drawer, which I am content to leave in store.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:47 PM

Boxersix are you sure that the heater core goes from the pump not to the pump as the current SVX return ports on the pump are into the suction. I look forward to see you pump testing results.
Tony
Old 01-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Bill, you have the water direction from the pump... Both aux ports on the water pump are inlets that feed the back of the thermostat

Tom
Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM

Boxer here are the photos of the water pump etc on a standard SVX (my wifes).
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0199.JPG (451.8 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0202.JPG (466.7 KB, 373 views)
Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I guess all will be revealed when I take it to Watkins Glen May 1. If it boils over, we'll be back in the shop to enlarge he water pump inlet to 45 mm and install a transition immediately out of the radiator outlet from 35mm to 45mm. I think another issue will be to insure that the entire overflow tank connection is flooded, so that when the engine cools down, it only draws in water, rather than air. I know that my connection hose, early in my track career was leaky, so I needed to check coolant level in the radiator, rather than in the overflow tank, including running the car at idle with the cap off for a minute or so, in order to purge air bubbles from the system.

One variable that is hovering out there, but which will be eliminated in my car is the possiblity of head gasket leakage. When he rebuilt my motor, Tom found some slight evidence of leakage. It may only have been occurring under extreme use, and thus may not have shown up in the sniffer test I had that probably was done while idling.

We also know that head gasket leakage was not an issue in Jack Laverty's car, but may be a factor in any abused machine that has not had a recent top-end rebuild.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold