Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A > Chris's SVX Shop
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 08:31 AM

engine mount replacement

I am getting crazy rattling when the car is stopped at a light and it's pretty much the motor or/crossmember mounts.

So do I need to buy SVX mounts or will other impreza, legacy ones work?

thanks

BW
Old 06-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Welcome to the site

WRX mounts can be made to fit but chances are the rattling is going to be a heatshield on the exhaust or even the flexplate.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:55 AM

the rattling is from the door panels and the center console.

That's why I am thinking engine/tranny mounts.

I have a lot of knowledge on the old EA81/EA82s subaru.

How similar are the SVX's to these in terms of mounting. I realize the parts aren't interchangeable, but is it basically the mounts bolt onto the crossmembers. Is it possible to loosen the bolts and jack up the engine to replace the mounts?

BW
Old 06-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Door locks can rattle. you can apply some felt to them to stop the rattle.

A 1/4" plate needs to be used on the WRX mounts for proper clearance and the holes on the SVX mount plate have to be modified to accept the WRX mounts.

Installing/removing the mounts is a pain.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
The EG33 is heavier than the WRX's. The engine mounts are bigger (I think) so they can hold more weight. I say you must stick to the EG33 OEM mounts... I bought a couple like 5 months ago, but still not installed them.

Just my opinion...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Meow!

The mounts are almost the same size. The SVX's are round and the WRX's are square. People that do the swaps are using the gruppe-n mounts which are stiffer.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:08 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
The mounts are almost the same size. The SVX's are round and the WRX's are square. People that do the swaps are using the gruppe-n mounts which are stiffer.
I think that you could make some $$$ if you would prepare the mounts for us to buy Earthworm

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 06-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
The EG33 is heavier than the WRX's. The engine mounts are bigger (I think) so they can hold more weight. I say you must stick to the EG33 OEM mounts... I bought a couple like 5 months ago, but still not installed them.

Just my opinion...
The only reason the SVX mounts are physically bigger, is due to them being hollow, and filled with liquid to absorb more vibrations, the WRX mounts are actually capable of more force than the stock mounts, the down side is you get more vibration through them (but not that much).
I'm about to install a set of stock WRX mounts on mine, as both mine are split, and the liquid is gone....you can pick up a set of slightly used WRX mounts for about $25 on NASIOC where all the kids have to have the Group N or STi mounts, so they sell thier perfectly good WRX mounts for cheap....

I'm running a set of WRX mounts on the EG33 I dropped into FrankenWedge, they worked out fine.

Just my thoughts on it
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
I think that you could make some $$$ if you would prepare the mounts for us to buy Earthworm
I didn't modify mine...my dad did.

All you need is a 1/4" thick plate for each mount. Just drill the appropriate holes and bolt in. You don't have to weld the plate.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

Thanks for the info huck. When I pulled my engine it took me a minute to figure out wtf was up with the motor mounts. Both completely sheared in half. I'll be picking up a set of WRX mounts. As you said they're easy to find since all the ricers...ehem...racers switch to solid mounts.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
How much are the WRX and SVX mounts priced over there as new? Just curious...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:07 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
I wondered where that water was coming from when I did the 5mt conversion, and took the jack from under the engine...torn the mounts in 1/2...fluid leaks out....interesting. I have a set of WRX mounts I got from the donor WRX.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
How much are the WRX and SVX mounts priced over there as new? Just curious...
You can just look them both up on www.subaruparts.com
Old 07-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

Just got a present from the post man. A new set of STi Group N mounts. Scored them on Ebay for $65 shipped.

I did find a place on-line that sells them for $51.59 each +s/h HERE.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Team ROUND 1

Send a message via Yahoo to 1320boy
Is it really THAT hard to install OEM motor mounts?
I bought some about 2 months ago but have yet to put them in.
I just wanna know so i know if I can put them in, or just take it to a dealership thats about 50+ miles away.