Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-26-2017, 08:19 PM

Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

wow those wheels do look nice socal1200r good job
Old 06-28-2017, 09:10 PM

After she was all cleaned up, I went to a local Ford dealer to check out a 2017 Fusion Sport sedan (twin-turbo V6, AWD, 6-speed auto with paddle shifters, quad exhaust tips, 325 hp / 380 torque, etc). I had to laugh when the salesman said the other sales people were "geeking out" over my SVX, lol!

I tell you what, that Fusion Sport gets up and goes, no torque steer because of the AWD, very comfortable, and lots of tech (if you're into that kind of stuff). One look in the engine compartment though, and I'm like, yeah, I can top off the fluids and change the air filter, and that's about it. One thing I was VERY disappointed in was the build quality. I opened the trunk using the remote switch, and was looking around in there, and noticed there was a lot of sheet metal that wasn't even painted! I know the Fusion is assembled down in Mexico, but come on, modern paint processes should have the complete exterior and interior painted before they start putting it together, right? I'm tempted to visit another Ford dealer and look at another Sport's trunk, just to see if it was just that one car (doubtful), or if it's a problem of Ford Fusions in general.

Anyway, the "geeking out" comment about my SVX made my Saturday...
Honda Accord wheels 17x7.5, 235/45s, 5mm rear wheel spacers; "3.3" and "AWD" badges on front fenders; AMR radiator/fans; lowering springs, s/s brake lines, drilled rotors; Stebro exhaust with quad tips, mid-muffler removed; tinted windows.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt007b View Post
wow those wheels do look nice socal1200r good job
Thanks! I'm a Craig's List junkie, and when I was looking for a set of wheels to replace the stock 16" ones, those Accord wheels were the only ones that had the same offset as stock at +55mm in 17". I removed the "H" that was on the center caps, and ordered 65mm Subie decals to cover the caps. Along with new black splined lug nuts, they turned out pretty good. It does give the car more of a touring look, which is what the car is for anyway, so it was a good match.
Honda Accord wheels 17x7.5, 235/45s, 5mm rear wheel spacers; "3.3" and "AWD" badges on front fenders; AMR radiator/fans; lowering springs, s/s brake lines, drilled rotors; Stebro exhaust with quad tips, mid-muffler removed; tinted windows.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX

Two things. A) per the picture, my car hit 70K on Tuesday evening and is still doing quite well; and b) had something pretty neat happen in the SVX this evening. Had to work late, drove through Rock Creek Park in D.C. to Shoreham Drive and Calvert Streets, off Connecticut Avenue. As I'm waiting at the light to make a right turn, a yellow Land Rover Defender makes a turn and drives past me heading the other way and the driver yelled "NICE CAR" at me. It was Doug Demuro, of YouTube fame! He test drives and owns manner of cars (including the recent purchase of the Defender), so it was really nice to have him acknowledge an SVX. I drive the car on a fairly regular basis and have gotten used to owning one again, but it's still an interesting reminder that these cars do draw their fare share of attention.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70K SVX.jpg (438.8 KB, 483 views)

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Old 07-13-2017, 05:00 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvXit View Post
Two things. A) per the picture, my car hit 70K on Tuesday evening and is still doing quite well; and b) had something pretty neat happen in the SVX this evening. Had to work late, drove through Rock Creek Park in D.C. to Shoreham Drive and Calvert Streets, off Connecticut Avenue. As I'm waiting at the light to make a right turn, a yellow Land Rover Defender makes a turn and drives past me heading the other way and the driver yelled "NICE CAR" at me. It was Doug Demuro, of YouTube fame! He test drives and owns manner of cars (including the recent purchase of the Defender), so it was really nice to have him acknowledge an SVX. I drive the car on a fairly regular basis and have gotten used to owning one again, but it's still an interesting reminder that these cars do draw their fare share of attention.
Thats awesome.

I didn't realize Doug makes it down to DC. I figured he always stayed in PA based on the vids of his I have seen. I wonder if that is his new daily or if he was making another video.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:07 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflystyle View Post
Thats awesome.

I didn't realize Doug makes it down to DC. I figured he always stayed in PA based on the vids of his I have seen. I wonder if that is his new daily or if he was making another video.
He's made at least two videos that I recall in the Tyson's Corner area so it wasn't a far stretch to me, but it was still quite unexpected. I'm a car fanatic of the highest order and I always notice rare/oddball vehicles. I noticed the yellow Defender immediately. After hearing the comment and a quick glance, it dawned on me it was him. I also have to admit that since getting back behind the wheel of an SVX, at least once per month someone approaches me to ask about the car.

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Old 07-13-2017, 11:12 PM

Registered SVX

Well not sure were to start on this
this is white pearl #2 a driver summers only.
125,000 miles
bought it in Idaho from dealer he had it in back not started for 7 years.
moved it out front with bad radiator for 1800,00
or best cash talks
my brother sees it and knows I'm working on one calls me.
I go over start it smells of old gas can't drive it but vary clean inside out needs good detailing. so offered 1500 cash take it home
go get car trailer and its home.
took out seats cleaned it inside out pressure washed engine
put vary new radiator out of my other one in. it gets new aluminum one.
this thing had spots on all over even inside gas cap compartment
not any more she shines
tap tap tap as she runs
dumped oil new filter lukas went in about 50 miles on her now she still does about 90 in the 1/4
so next yellow injectors z32 lans chip's in ecu and tcu she runs great check engine light knock sensor replaced both runs even better but now can't take her out might have to pull her heart out the click click sounds like the cracked flex plate.
went to local wrecking yard 30 bucks got me 2 of the newer thicker flex plates.
have another 92 white building engine for so might as well put one in it.
so when I pull it to fix flex plate change spark plugs and put spacers in intake.
no leaks at all but will do the rear main also anything els i should do?
next she will get trans cooler.
I'm happy and can't wait to driver her into town.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:26 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxnavyvet View Post
this is white pearl #2 a driver summers only.
anything els i should do?

I'm happy and can't wait to driver her into town.
?? Sounds interesting.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:43 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Mounted four Vredestine Ultrac Satin tires. Just because they are designed by Giugiaro. Hopefully they will work out well.

Didn't have to replace the wheel bearing. Just a chunk of rust lodged between the rotor and dust shield.

Also gave it a bath.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:50 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Drove my 92 to Albuquerque Thursday--130mile one way. Still a pleasure to drive. Between Santa Fe and home I met a Highway Patrol--looked down and realized I was doing 95mph--nearly filled my pants. Surprise, surprise--he did not even blink or touch his brakes with a thought---must have been going someplace important. BUT that is what this car will do to you--runs so smooth you don't realize how fast you are going. Still have 2 of them AND 2 parts cars. The one still with only 2792 miles with all mechanical parts intact except rear hub units. Can you imagine an engine with only that many miles on it?
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-29-2017, 06:16 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Newest Pearlie Stuff, 2017;
Finally got to do some maintenance to my newest
Pearlie, that used to be mine before Brett and then Todd owned it.
Green Eyed Lady and I are going to swap cars so that I can do some work on her Forrester.
Today, fresh front Akebono pads, a re-welded stock SVX exhaust system to replace the true dual exhaust (with six resonators ant both front pre-cats, still in good shape) that was just too loud for me. Yesterday fresh rear pads, over the last week, finally wind shield squirters finally installed in the Class Glass hood, new battery, new battery hold down, replaced the cracked leather front seats with some perforated non-power SVX ones. Replaced the rear seat with a fresher one, added the suede and vinyl rear headrest to bring the front (cloth) and rear (leather) seats together astethetically. New rad cap, new rad drain gasket, fixed the AC!
Painted all three wiper arms, vacuumed the carpets, installed SVX carpeted mats, replaced a bad HID ballast, installed easy to read tire valve warning caps replaced the rear hard brake lines!!!!! Finally found the leak.
Buffed the roof and trunk lid, installed a perfect spoiler...
She looks good!
Probably did more stuff than what is listed.
Now for a road test...

The road test was great! Its now wisper quiet and the stock exhaust on an SVX with a stock transmission and virtually no engine mods runs better at low RPMs and midrange. If the 3.3 has been modified, cams, turbo, blower, whatever and runs over 3000 rpm, then a less restrictive exhaust can be a benifit.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 07-29-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:51 AM
Formerly known as henryrace@hotma

Great job Tom what's next..
89 Yamaha FJ1200
07 Yamaha FJR1300

"GO RAVENS"
Old 08-22-2017, 04:42 PM

Was driving back to VA from NC last Sunday, and heard that one of the rear speakers was blown. Got a new set of speakers installed today, Memphis 6.5 in coaxials on the doors, and Memphis 6x9s for the rear deck. Surprised that the speakers that came out were all Polk! Very small, and the rear ones were small as well, but housed in a large piece of plastic, so those grills on the rear speakers are deceiving as to the speakers' true size.

The Memphis speakers were on sale, and the total was $218 for parts and labor to install them. Also seems like the new speakers are louder at the same setting on the volume knob than the old speakers, so that's a plus. Now I won't have that annoying scratchy sound on the next drive down to NC!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:20 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
Was driving back to VA from NC last Sunday, and heard that one of the rear speakers was blown. Got a new set of speakers installed today, Memphis 6.5 in coaxials on the doors, and Memphis 6x9s for the rear deck. Surprised that the speakers that came out were all Polk! Very small, and the rear ones were small as well, but housed in a large piece of plastic, so those grills on the rear speakers are deceiving as to the speakers' true size.

The Memphis speakers were on sale, and the total was $218 for parts and labor to install them. Also seems like the new speakers are louder at the same setting on the volume knob than the old speakers, so that's a plus. Now I won't have that annoying scratchy sound on the next drive down to NC!
The Polk's definitely were not stock, as the stock speakers are 6x9 in the rear deck, but glad you got your sound back to crisp
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 08-26-2017, 04:47 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Finally got the AMR radiator installed and put the locking hoodpins in my fb hood.

Car still isn't running right, though. I think it might need a complete teardown to address the accruing electrical bugs.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.