SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2002, 09:30 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by I_Alcyone_I
If I had $100,000 I'd have 2 svx, a five speed and an auto. Not many mods other than the 5 speed in one and indiglo gauges in both probobly. Maybe the leather seats from motorsports. But that would be enough for me. I don't need a porche to make me happy, the SVX is good enough for me.
that's what i was saying - if i had $100,000 i wouldn't go blowing it on an expensive car, either. if i made $100,000 every 6 months.......i'd have the 911 Twin, with indiglo gauges, of course

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-22-2002, 11:07 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Landshark,

If you made $100,000 per six mos. , you would be grossing $200,000 per year.

Your yearly take home would only be about $95,000.
Disposable fun income would be about $60,000 per year.

You can't buy really good Porsches for that money and forget about Lambos.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 11-22-2002, 12:58 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
Just had to show that I read this thread, Ca$h, and i am very happy to see that I didn't even have to argue with you this time. The rest of the board did a very good job at "fighting ignorance" this time. Thanks guys.

Someday you'll learn.

Riiiight, I suppose you'd get a porsche with an automatic too eh?

Anyway, none of you addressed my point: The guy racing in the golf is having fun. The guy racing in the porsche is also having fun. HOWEVER, who is having more fun? It depends. Porsches are finicky cars with expensive parts, and there might be even faster porsches at the circuit your racing at, and you'd wind up last. However, the guy in the golf might have it well modded and be coming in first. I ask again, is the guy in the porsch having 95 grand WORTH more fun? I don't think so.

- Ca$h
Old 11-24-2002, 06:20 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Noted.

I'll take the Porsche. Thanks. Unless I can get my hands on one 'o them HOT NEONS...I hear they can outrun anything!
Old 11-24-2002, 07:09 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Landshark,

If you made $100,000 per six mos. , you would be grossing $200,000 per year.

Your yearly take home would only be about $95,000.
Disposable fun income would be about $60,000 per year.

You can't buy really good Porsches for that money and forget about Lambos.
there's a thing called financing........

Old 11-24-2002, 07:12 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

Riiiight, I suppose you'd get a porsche with an automatic too eh?

- Ca$h
mine had an automatic, and the same MY 928 i had set several landspeed records at the Bonneville salt flats in un-modified factory trim - with an AUTO. yeah, i'll take a Tiptronic

Old 11-24-2002, 08:44 PM
cjoffe

Mine was a 5spd, but I saw some VERY aggresive driving up on the BlueRidge by a guy in an auto. Of course, with the gearing in those, you could just pop it in 2nd and play.

CJ
Old 11-25-2002, 08:09 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
I actually agree with CA$H on some of this. I mean why spend $100k for a car that is REALLY nice when you could spend $25k on A NEON or practically any light decent handling car and have it be just as fast. I mean the point of racing is driving skill not who has the most money to spend in an expensive car and let it do all the work. Me personally I think i'd have more fun racing a car that i BUILT for say that $25k, then almost any expensive car... and plus you probably would be too scared to scratch the paint on the Porsche to actually race it.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 11-25-2002, 08:49 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
C'mon!!! We're talking about a Porsche here!!

For those of you who are saying they'd rather mod a cheap car then buy a Porsche i have this for you:

DRIVE ONE, THEN TALK.

I bet your tune would change completely.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:01 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
I actually agree with CA$H on some of this. I mean why spend $100k for a car that is REALLY nice when you could spend $25k on A NEON or practically any light decent handling car and have it be just as fast. I mean the point of racing is driving skill not who has the most money to spend in an expensive car and let it do all the work. Me personally I think i'd have more fun racing a car that i BUILT for say that $25k, then almost any expensive car... and plus you probably would be too scared to scratch the paint on the Porsche to actually race it.
suppose you make upwards of $200,000 a year. tell me truthfully that your car of choice is going to be...........a Dodge Neon? if you have to ask "how much?!?!?, the Porsche is not for you. i think most people that would take an expensive newer Porsche to the track could probably afford to wreck it to bits and replace it the next day.

Old 11-26-2002, 02:53 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
And I also believe the cheaper you can go racing, the better. You can have fun racing a beat up golf, a 2.4 neon (woo woo), an AWD eclipse, or a race prep 911 turbo... but I really don't think the guy in the 911 is having 100,000 dollars worth MORE fun than the guy in the golf.

- Ca$h
I see your point, but I am going to argue opinions here. You see, we (as a family and team) race cars at the 1/4 mile race track. As most of you know, I run my SVX and just picked up my 3rd place season win trophy and awards. My father races a 1974 AMC Gremlin. Now speaking factually, it would be MUCH cheaper to race any GM muscle or drag style car than the AMC. Performance parts for a GM/Chevy 350ci motor is nearly half the price as they are for an AMC 360ci AND 10 times the distribution from multiple vendors and manufactures. There is only one other AMC that races at our track on a regular basis, and he did the motor swap to a GM/Chev 350 to save costs. But, I can assure you, my dad gets more looks and kudos than most other racers out there because he is running a Genuine AMC Gremlin, and he makes it fast on an AMC powerplant.

I too have a stubborn streak in me and have set into motion plans to turn my SVX into a pure bred race car. I am not going to trash a perfectly working car, but I am going to buy another SVX. This is going to be a costly adventure, but I am going to have 110% fun. I will take the car with the greatest amount of wear and tear and dub it the project. Even if I do invest $25K and only have a 11 second car, It will be unique! Even now, I have a wonderful time at the track with it at a mere 16 seconds. I get plenty of attention, and when the calls to the lanes happen, there are people that stay WAY back when they see me entering the lanes.

As for autos and sticks.... I think the general opinion is correct that sticks can be faster normally and autos are better for consistency. Ask my competitors! I am normally between 3-7 thousandths of a second within my dial on every run. I win or loose at the tree with the reaction time being the determining factor. I have learned one thing that will destroy consistency with an auto and that’s fluid temperature. If anyone is serious about knowing, msg me and I will share this finding. A majority of the professional drag cars here (dragsters and door cars) use an auto 2 speed auto transmission known as a powerglide. This delivers very constant times.

Lastly, if you want to feel that SAME "suck you back into your seat" feel that you get with a 5 speed manual and a clutch... It can be done with an auto as well. Get a higher speed stall converter and install a transbrake. If you do this without breaking drive train parts.... these two items right there will improve on the 60' launch time and probably take a half second off the overall 1/4 mile time without gear changes. Good luck though. This is getting into race application parts only and not recommended for street use.

With all this said... I have been recruiting sponsors for this pipe dream and have two "BIG NAME" ones ready for me to go. I have shown in my first few years the determination and skill to be able to get attention and sponsors love that. I am in a holding pattern until I can find and be able to purchase a reasonable priced SVX. If anyone sees one that is "buildable" for a good deal, let me know. My local junk yard has two, but they are too cracked up. It was nice to see that the passengers compartment stayed in good condition even though the car was trashed. "IF" it ever comes down to me and a race related crash, I am going to be depending upon this!

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 11-26-2002, 09:45 AM
$VX

Chris, good post. But about hte transmissions, I agree 100%. Autos for consistency, MANUALS FOR PERFORMANCE. This is where Shadow and I disagree.

I really sorta hate hte auto in the SVX. Yeah, its luxurious and all, but man... I hate it when some stupid car pulls up next to me at a light and I don't want to race him because the auto will shift weird or something. I really hate it when you're leaving a light, and the car next to you is taking off faster than you expected, so you put the gas down a little more... but it isn't enough.. so you put it down a little more... not enough.. its like, I don't want to floor the damn thing, I just want it to downshift! ARGH.

- Ca$h
Old 11-26-2002, 09:46 AM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

suppose you make upwards of $200,000 a year. tell me truthfully that your car of choice is going to be...........a Dodge Neon? if you have to ask "how much?!?!?, the Porsche is not for you. i think most people that would take an expensive newer Porsche to the track could probably afford to wreck it to bits and replace it the next day.
I doubt any of us make that much. So my point is valid to at least the vast majority of us.

- Ca$h
Old 11-26-2002, 10:41 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

I doubt any of us make that much. So my point is valid to at least the vast majority of us.

- Ca$h
just supporting the opinion that if you can afford it, its the way to go. you don't have to spend $100,000, though. for less than $30,000 you could have a 928 that you can drive to the event on pump gas, whip the ****e out of trailered-in $$$$$ "racecars", and drive home. its been done many times.

Old 11-26-2002, 11:03 AM
$VX

That still a pretty steep price for a 'toy'.

- Ca$h