IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-04-2015, 06:38 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Re: Site traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
I don't do facebook and never will. If I need to become a facebook user to follow the SVX community then my loss is...my loss I guess.
Agreed. I'm not one who follows trends. It's not worth giving up my privacy. I check this forum on a daily basis.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX

I am starting to check the site more like I used to. I will post more too. If we can get Randy to post again site traffic will explode.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII View Post
I am starting to check the site more like I used to. I will post more too. If we can get Randy to post again site traffic will explode.
Offer him a YELLOW SVX

(That was too hard on the eyes, I said to "Offer him a YELLOW SVX")

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 01-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Offer him a YELLOW SVX

(That was too hard on the eyes, I said to "Offer him a YELLOW SVX")

Actually ANY color SVX would do. I know he feels somewhat depressed about looking at his 2 broken pearlies every day that may be unable to be resurrected. Being a solid family man, providing for his family comes first and getting even one of his cars back on the road is not a priority.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 01-04-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

It's a combination of things. Facebook is more accessible for the younger/smartphone generation. I get a notice on my phone every someone on my friends list posts something there, and then further notices whenever a thread I've replied to gets additional posts. It's more conversant to the right sort of people, and also easier. I can step outside, snap a picture with my phone, and immediately post it to the facebook page.

We also have less projects happening. Young Tom was one of the main contributors to SVX mods and projects. With him and a few others departing this community there is a lot less to follow. That's one of the reasons I try to post very comprehensive threads of the work I do on my car. People love pictures and love seeing things come together. I've lived vicariously through many build threads, dreaming of when I'll have a chance to do something like that.

Finally, I'd say we just don't chat as much as we used to. The hijack thread, the supercar *wink wink* thread... Been a long time since I've seen those bumped. Part of this I think is we've lost a few of the "characters" who may not always contribute to SVX discussions but bring some colour and attitude to the community.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-05-2015, 08:12 AM

Registered SVX

I agree. BITD this and other forums were were people came to chat and get info.
Another forum I am on sends you an email if you get a respond to something you posted or a PM. The face book is annoying. I posted a picture ( there was a request to post a picture of your Subi) it was a Subaru forum. Without my knowledge It was tied to Facebook . I got 96 emails in 2 days.
My I pad sounded like a railroad crossing. Now it is get info pick the ones with knowledge brains and move on. I note most questions are asked by new bees. Their 1st. Or maybe 5 post.and they move on. ie...I just bought a 1991 SVX for $100 and it don't run wats wrong? Or looking for a low mileage 1997 in good condition willing to pay $2,000.

Last edited by Conn SVX; 01-05-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Another forum I frequent, not cars, has a live chat feature at the bottom of every page, regardless of subject or category. Didn't this forum have that at one time?
Also, a good number of the old non-SVX subject rabble rousers are still here. Just make them feel welcome again. I think it draws members to check in when they don't have any SVX issues to deal with and, maybe participate and interact, within reason. It appears a loss of sense of humor has occurred.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)

Last edited by bwb3; 01-05-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Another forum I am on sends you an email if you get a respond to something you posted or a PM.
User CP ->Settings and Options ->Edit Options ->Scroll down to Messaging and Notification

Here you can change the default mode to automatically subscribe when you post a new thread and get email notifications when people post to it. You can also turn on the preference for email notification for PMs.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 01-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

I would also add to this discussion that the forum has banned a few lively members who were interesting contributors. I can think of a few that I would like to have back.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 01-05-2015, 08:50 PM

There's several reasons that traffic is down, to me it seems that they fall into two categories, things we can control and things we can't.

I couldn't control having just gone through a month from hell. I have an unfinished project I was posting on. I would have loved to have finished it, but bad weather, and the joys of owning my own company conspired against that. Then an 80 ft tree came down through my fence and trashed my pool. Seriously. I had taken two trees down in the morning, and, as I had kept the wood, was cleaning up. I watched a tree on the adjacent property swaying in wind, looking up at it and thinking to myself " Boy, look at that sucker bend!! " then it was snap, crackle pop, and I literally had to run for my life! My fat ass hasn't moved that quick in ten years. And it trashed the corner of the yard I use for sandblasting, power washing,painting etc. I left the company trailer on the street, because I needed it to haul the chipping to the dump. Yup... some low life stole it. More time spent to buy another one and install retaining rails, lights, etc. ( and oh yeah... a nuclear lock and tracking system).. So... ummm I've been a bit tied up..

But that's the kind of thing that keeps someone away for a period of time, not permanently. Permanently absent could just mean that the member's SVX hasn't broken down enough to need the help of this forum to fix it.. Kinda like " give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll feed himself for life." Well... let's say possible, but not plausible. Or, there's sold it and didn't tell us, and the new owner hasn't joined the site. Or, there's an element of fatigue, burnout, whatever you want to call it, on the part of longer term members. The SVX hasn't been produced in about 18 years. There are no new problems with the new ones, there aren't any. There are no new mods / parts / techniques / tips / secrets. O.K... maybe there are, but not on a level compared to a mass produced current vehicle.

As a group, we've probably broken just about every single piece that can be broken. As such, how to fix it, either properly, or by necessity, McGuyvered. is chronicled in this site. That info is available to anyone with the ability to use a search function. "Bubbles in my cooling system, why is it overheating".. Yeah, it's 90 % sure that it's a head gasket. get a exhaust gas test strip, dip it in your coolant overflow, read it and weep. Posting that question won't get you anything new that hasn't been posted a dozen times before, answered, and answered well. Does this site keep records of searches by non members? That may be an interesting statistic.

The SVX, compared to newer cars, grows progressively slower by the year.. Well, my buddy's cousin knows a guy that had a Japanese exchange student living with his family, who had an uncle at Fuji Heavy industries, and he knew a guy that had a picture of the prototype turbo manifold for the SVX Police Pursuit model that got scrubbed. .. Other than that urban myth, 240 HP, and 3,500 pounds... it takes a boat load of money and some serious wrenching skills to make an SVX go fast. It's other endearing attributes are largely lost on a lot of younger drivers. Google "14 second stock".. the list is huge, and lots, especially the turbo cars, can be made significantly quicker, with parts off the shelf, for less than two grand.

Unless you love it, it's just not worth it. I had a conversation with someone looking to buy their first car. Everyone was recommending "sensible" stuff, and I was asked about Subarus.. I told them to just pick a price point, then go for a test beat, the manufacturer was not important. Google will find the lemons for you. Pick something that slaps a smile on you face every time you drive it. There's nothing worse than dropping a monthly payment on something that doesn't make you happy. Turbo Mitsubishi Eclipse won the " Slaps a smile on my face " award , and I was thanked for the less than sensible advice. That being said, there are fewer and fewer "drivers" than there used to be. People buy souless snot boxes to get from a to b .. it is just transportation, a necessary evil. An SVX is worthless as a used car. It's too old, too expensive to repair, etc. As a result, some are sold as "just a car".. driven into the ground, and then scrapped.

And finally.. that, unfortunately, leads me to this.. There's less and less traffic here simply because there are less and less SVXs' ..

For a whopping $750.00.. it could be yours.. Actually, $500.00 cash and you'd probably own it. All because someone can't diagnose the electrical short that eats TCUs'

But unless someone who WANTS one, sees that ad and decides to rescue it, it's going to the scrap yard.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/b...ationFlag=true

Look at the ads for SVXs' for sale in your area, especially if you live where they use salt ( a lot of them have terminal cancer ). There are very few candidates that have the potential for longevity.

That we are fewer, and quieter, may simply be a case of the natural order of things as a vehicle that had a production run of 25,000 ages. How many Volkswagen Beetles were produced? how many do you see now?. Just the ones owned by the passionate. That may well be the future of the SVX, and of us. Just the survivors, owned by the passionate.

I'm not wise enough to pass judgement on whether that's a good thing or not.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:35 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I agree with a lot of your points Chucksta.

My daughters friend has 2 SVX he is trying to sell. Originally he ws going to give them to me so they would be saved. Even for free I was debating whether I even wanted them. I have 3 already. 2 on the road and one for parts. I don't have the time, space or resources to rescue 2 more.

To make a long story short, he decided to sell them instead. After 5 months they are still sitting on the side of the highway covered in salt, dirt and snow. Last time I checked the price was down to $800.00 obo for the pair and no takers.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Founder / Administrator

So the robots.txt block has been re-named and by effect removed. There is a chance that this could open us up for a flood of traffic and use, thereby slowing things down. I will try to keep an eye on this.

While addressing this, we found a constant stream of scripted overseas new user attempts. In the next few days we will be making some changes to squash this as well.

NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
Old 01-07-2015, 07:42 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

I did a search today using various search engines. All found subaru-svx.net. Interestingly not all found it unless the word order was reversed. Some only found it if "SVX Subaru" was entered rather than "Subaru SVX". I think this may hark back to my earlier comment about "Key Words" being in text on each main page.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Founder / Administrator

I expect Microsoft/Bing to start crawling the site any time now, they stuck their fingers in the SVXWN pie just moments ago. Hope the ship don't sink

Quote:
157.55.39.226 - - [07/Jan/2015:20:33:22 -0700] "GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.1" 404 291
157.55.39.226 - - [07/Jan/2015:20:33:30 -0700] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 304 -

Network
Net Range 157.54.0.0 - 157.60.255.255
CIDR 157.54.0.0/15
157.56.0.0/14
157.60.0.0/16
Name MSFT-GFS
Handle NET-157-54-0-0-1
Parent NET157 (NET-157-0-0-0-0)
Net Type Direct Assignment
Origin AS AS8075
Organization Microsoft Corporation (MSFT)
Registration Date 1994-04-28
Last Updated 2013-08-20
Comments
RESTful Link http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-157-54-0-0-1
See Also Related organization's POC records.
See Also Related delegations.

Last edited by Chris; 01-07-2015 at 08:41 PM. Reason: bahhhh
Old 01-14-2015, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Added to Google and submitted sitemap.xml.
Submitted sitemap.xml to Bing.
Added Sitemap and Host directives to robots.txt.
Removed "Powered by..." on main forum page title.
Un-sticky some old stuff.
Calendars should go through 2016 now.

Google is already reporting about 4 times click through rate
than previously. Ranking on most search terms are up.
I'm not expecting anything major to change in results
positioning for maybe a month or more though.

--
waldon