Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 04:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to Guyver280z
Even with the newer engine... I wouldn't use the cheap gas... eewww!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:30 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
You could always get radical cams to move the stock SVX torque to 6000rpm. That should be good for 261hp @ 6000rpm. Might need a high stall torque converter though.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 10-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Quote:
Originally Posted by subarufamily View Post
I agree that it will get his money back in alot of tank fulls of gas at $3 per tank fillup and min cost to change motor $3000 i SEE 1000 TANK fillups that is ALOT of time for the savings to apply if at 1 tank a week 52 weeks a year or 1000/52 is approx 19 years for the savings to make a difference
I know you said $3000 minimum, but I am going to reemphasize the point. You are more than likely looking at double that to do a swap and I would venture to say that you would still have some loose ends to tie up.

OR...

Build your eg33, fully forged rods, pistons, full headwork (cams, valves, mild P&P) and you will have a much stronger motor making more HP N/A for less $$. You will also have a great platform for going F/I should you ever decide to do so.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 10-24-2007, 10:55 PM

Registered SVX
The new six cylinder engine is in many ways very much compromised. Commercial aspects dictated that it must fit existing floor pans in production and be no longer than the four cylinder units. It was remarkable that this was achieved, but sacrifices in respect of the ideal, were made along the way.

IMHO the SVX EG33 engine is a superior unit, and most certainly has a stiffer bottom end. There will have been improvements in engine management systems along the way and this will reflect in respect of the performance of the later unit.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:05 AM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
Fifteen years and .3 litres later and they can only give me another 20 horsepower?
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 10-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
I know you said $3000 minimum, but I am going to reemphasize the point. You are more than likely looking at double that to do a swap and I would venture to say that you would still have some loose ends to tie up.

OR...

Build your eg33, fully forged rods, pistons, full headwork (cams, valves, mild P&P) and you will have a much stronger motor making more HP N/A for less $$. You will also have a great platform for going F/I should you ever decide to do so.
This is why I came on here, threw out an idea to people who know more about this stuff than I do. I apologize that on an online forum some of your are expecting perfect grammar and punctuation. Wow, that's kind of sad. Oh well, anyway. I will respond to one actual helpful and less bashing reply. Sick subie...how much and where would I get these done? I was thinking about doing pistons, rods and headwork even if I did get the tribeca engine because I was planning on turboing. I have a motor with a lot of miles on it (250k+), so would I be better off starting off with a eg33 with less miles on it and then going through with all the engine work?? Thanks again, and I'm not trying to be ignorant like I said I'm throwing the idea out there I haven't priced much of anything out there and as far as 3g's minimum, I'm not sure how accurate that is because my parts guy here said he can get me a tribeca engine for a lot cheaper than that.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
You will have to remember that it is not just "buy the engine and drop it in". You will need the wiring harness as well and you will need to rewire the car. Wiring will be very time consuming and therefore costly. You can get all the internals from ecutune.com. CP pistons, Eagle H-beam rods, and the full valve train. If you did that with a nice exhaust, a (now that it has been proven) good intake, and a 5my swap I would venture to guess that you would see just over 200whp. Being in Utah is not working in your favor I have to be honest. The two Tom's are almost equally far away from you. The components for the motor will run about $2800-$3000 I think. Find a reputable shop near you or pay shipping and have young Tom (tomssvx) do it.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 10-25-2007, 11:06 PM

I just saw your signature too. "5mt in progress"... Perfect that in tandem with that motor and you will have a very fun car and a good base should you ever decide to join the "dark side" aka HP chasers
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 10-25-2007, 11:40 PM

Registered SVX
i wasnt trying to bash anybody I was simply stating that it is VERY expensive to change motors espically if you change rods, cams , pistons , valves etc. not to forget the miles of wiring that would have to be planted in the car to support the change now to just rebuild different story. I rebuilt a 2jz toyota which was built ALOT more of so ideally parts cheaper and I spent approx $4500 on parts only with myself doing the major work (other than planing heads block etc) it still took me a week working on it 10 hours a day if you compute the labor cost @ $85 an hour (you can get cheaper ) * roughly $5900 in labor so yes if you want to build it with unlimited $ to spend then have at it. I love reading about the mods being done to the EG33/EJ33 since I can appreicate how much love AND $ are being involved in making a 500+ whp car with or with out auto tranny
Old 10-26-2007, 12:28 PM

EZ36's should be cheap soon as its not going to be popular. Forget going forced induction on one for real power. Even the EZ30 has proven to be ultra easy to pop under boost even when built.

So if you can get an EZ36, and you can run a standalone on it then it should be an easy swap. Better MPG, lower emissions, better daily drivablity. No racing though as its largely "done" as stock since it was designed as an emissions motor.

however you might note that you just spent $3-4K for something that you will have to cheat through smog in many places.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:03 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
EZ36's should be cheap soon as its not going to be popular. Forget going forced induction on one for real power. Even the EZ30 has proven to be ultra easy to pop under boost even when built.

So if you can get an EZ36, and you can run a standalone on it then it should be an easy swap. Better MPG, lower emissions, better daily drivablity. No racing though as its largely "done" as stock since it was designed as an emissions motor.

however you might note that you just spent $3-4K for something that you will have to cheat through smog in many places.
Your absolute authority is noteworthy.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-26-2007, 07:34 PM

Yup, been watching Perrin and others nuke EZ30R's for a while now. Its a good idea that they were chasing, only the weakness of an emissions motor, not designed for boost and power keeps it from being worth it.

Very much the same deal starting with the 2.5RS engine Vs the STi engine. Even with rods and pistons you are behind the 8 ball in duriblity compared to the factory motor.

Look at the time, money, and experience LAN puts into his built motors for the SVX, and its FAR better basis for performance than the EZ30 in terms of "likely to puke"

The EZ36 is even weaker. Its built to do one thing, and one thing well. Power 4K lbs tribecas on piss-gas. Its going to be completely worthless for making 600HP.

So if you want to engineswap for cheap power, Forester STi engines are effectively the same as our STi engines, and not too much. Or Swap a built EG33. EZ36 swaps for "fun" would be on my list, but the ECUs with the imobilizer are going to be hell to "swap". Maybe we will get lucky and some idiot with time on thier hands will figure out how to swap imobilizer ECU equipped drivetrains.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
ya, actually my 5mt swap just finished today, with one exception. My rear diff is being an asshole and making noises, might be that when I switched the carrier baring into the new diff it didn't get put in completely right, so I'm having my buddies at this tranny shop look at it on monday. Other than that the car runs great! Just waitin' to finally drive the beast.... n I have the green cold air from motor sport installed with also a custom catback exhaust I had done a few years ago with I believe its 2 1/2 or 3 inch piping all the way back into a flowmaster camero style muffler and out into two 2 1/2 in. tips sounds pretty damn sexy....

Last edited by Johnybeas; 10-27-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Banned

Registered SVX
also on another note... I will be going back to fl for school... so, if I do decide to do the engine swap while I'm there.... that's closer than Utah. lol but still, if not I might take it to cali where my cousin who does a lot of work with cars n knows the SVX well might help me out... I don't feel like paying for labor... plus it's fun doing your own mods, as frustrating as it can get sometimes. Thanks again for the input guys I'm just doin some research now while I save money n stuff so that hopefully next summer I'll be able to do the engine work.