SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2001, 08:37 PM
SVXtremist

Brake Noises, can anyone help?

Hey All,

Well as I mentioned before, my brakes STILL make some weird (and uncool) noises. I first noticed the noise awhile ago, and when I changed my brakepads, it stopped. Now it's back. The noise is a rattling sort of noise, and it's really bad when I go over any kind of bump. It only rattles when the brake is not pressed, so when I do press on the brakes it does not rattle. Has anyone else had this happen to them? And if so, what was the problem and how do I fix it? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Allen
Old 12-05-2001, 09:18 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It sounds like someone disposed of the pad mounting hardware. It's not an uncommon for untrained idjits to toss the pieces when replacing the pads. You can check at the parts stores for 'disc brake hardware' and there should be some rubber bellows and various metal stampings included. The metal stampings are bent to spring-load the pads in place and prevent the rattle you're hearing. I'm not going to tell you that you're o.k. without them, not having seen your car, but if that's the cause you probably are. Sometimes the parts aren't available aftermarket and the only to way to get the pieces is by buying a new set of pads or caliper kits from the dealer. You'll have to check that out or maybe someone else here can tell you from their experience.

Beav
Old 12-05-2001, 10:55 PM
SVXtremist

Beav,

What exactly is this "hardware" you are talking about?? if you mean the little clippy thingys, they are all there I think, I replaced the pads myself and made sure everything that came off went back on, what would you recommend I order from the parts store?
Old 12-06-2001, 02:16 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It's been a long time since I did any SVX brakes but normally there will be metal leaves at either end of the pad that take up the slack and keep the pads from rattling. There may also be any combination of wire springs and sometimes a clip at one end of the pad that serves to preload it to the front and double as a wear indicator. In other words the clip always goes so that it pushes the pad to the front of the bracket, e.g. rr outer pad would have its clip to the left as you face it.

Also check that there are no loose bolts (I know that sounds pretty simple, but...*S*.) You can also try hitting the caliper, rotor, etc. with a rubber mallet and duplicate the force that creates the noise.

Good Luck,

Beav