Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-06-2002, 03:08 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Hey Everclear

'Sup everclear? I haven't seen you around here before. there are a few other MI owners here (myself, mr. pockets, wawazat???) I'm in Flint town, but I don't have my SVX with me this semester. Man, after 3 months of not driving it, I'll sure be glad to see it again in April. Anyway, I never did fix the CHMSL. Y'all have some good ideas for how to make the brake lights grab some attention. I'm going for the ugly approach. When I hit my breaks and only 3 of the 15 LED packs light up, then the driver behind me is immediatly drawn to the ugly appearance of my partially lit brake lights. It must work, cuz I've never been rear ended :-) I'll probably have to just give in and get a new one some day. Oh well. If anybody has one that works and they don't need it, let me know.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 01-06-2002, 08:33 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: Hey Everclear

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
'Sup everclear? I haven't seen you around here before. there are a few other MI owners here (myself, mr. pockets, wawazat???) I'm in Flint town, but I don't have my SVX with me this semester. Man, after 3 months of not driving it, I'll sure be glad to see it again in April. Anyway, I never did fix the CHMSL. Y'all have some good ideas for how to make the brake lights grab some attention. I'm going for the ugly approach. When I hit my breaks and only 3 of the 15 LED packs light up, then the driver behind me is immediatly drawn to the ugly appearance of my partially lit brake lights. It must work, cuz I've never been rear ended :-) I'll probably have to just give in and get a new one some day. Oh well. If anybody has one that works and they don't need it, let me know.
Yeah, I just found the page a few days ago. I just purchased my SVX via e-bay and am very very anxious to get it!!! One of the profs over here had one and i was like what on earth is that, and he took me for a spin. I just had to have one, so I finally got one off e-bay at a good price in great condition. The mods I mentioned earlier are on my soon to be old car, an 88 acura legend, which was rearended!!!! I'm still Pi**ed about that

But here is why your theroy is CORRECT in the ugly approach. lol Drivers tend to stay away from ugly things, when it's nice and pretty they are drawn to it and have to have a better look at it. Thus they are right on your ass and dont pay attenion. so your ugly break lights are a sort of blessing lol.

I'm supposed to get my car tomorow (monday) I HOPE, I'll take a look at it while i'm looking it over for my own install and let you know what to do, in a easy to do way.

-alex
Old 01-09-2002, 05:15 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Re: Hey Everclear

Quote:
Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

I'm supposed to get my car tomorow (monday) I HOPE,
-alex
Alex,
welcome to the Network form another MI SVX owner. Are you from MI or out of state? Either way, welcome, keep in touch, and tell us what you think of your new toy once you receive it.
Todd
Old 01-09-2002, 12:55 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: Re: Re: Hey Everclear

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

Alex,
welcome to the Network form another MI SVX owner. Are you from MI or out of state? Either way, welcome, keep in touch, and tell us what you think of your new toy once you receive it.
Todd
I'm from MI, originally from East Lansing, and now at MSU. Just couldn't pry my self away *sarcasm* Key word being ONCE, I was supposed to get it on mon, then there was some delay and they told me i couldn't pick it up till wed, and i've tryed calling the dealership all day and keep getting a run around. All I can say is I had better get it by fri, or they can give me one of those nice 02' 911s to drive around till i get it
Old 01-09-2002, 08:10 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Strobes

Quote:
Originally posted by svxeno
[B]I saw a posting somewhere in here or there about having strobe(s) installed for tailgaters. I guess could be hooked up to the brake light circuit for auto activation. I wonder what the laws are for something like that. Now...(walking over and using a step ladder to get on the soap box)
I am the one with the strobes in the tail light. I have them installed in the back outside red tail lights and inside reverse lights. I have seperate switches installed in the dash (under the stereo). They do come in handy when some moron tailgates you. Just flick the switch on and the guys pull back. I did a demo during the Wisconsin cookout.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-10-2002, 04:42 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<I did a demo during the Wisconsin cookout.>>

They do have an eye catching effect. I'm wondering if they could be configured to flash a few times when you apply the brake, then stay off until you apply it again.

Lwin, You ever tweak the mounting for those strobes?

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 01-10-2002, 04:59 AM

<<I just get a big laugh out of a guy in a suit driving to work in a behemouth "Excursion" especially since it is probably someone who wouldn't give the time of day to someone in "ordinary clothes" (know what I mean?).>>

So, If I show up to the 10th anny meet in an Excursion with SVX in tow, I'll be considered an outcast? or only if I wear a suit?

Seriously though, I've been looking at Excursions because our Denali lease is up soon and we had to buy a car top carrier for our last trek to the inlaws (imagine seeing a full size SUV with a car top carrier going down the freeway!)

I stopped in at a dealer to look at the Excursion and was asking about reverse gear ratio (its not in the brochure). I told him that the Denali was geared a little high in reverse and had a hard time pulling out stumps. He looked at me like I was from the Gamma Quadrant.

I think I must be one of 17 people throughout the US that actually uses an SUV as a truck.

I know what you mean about seeing these trucks in a daily commute. All shiny and waxed, it is pretty sickening. I've never waxed our truck, hell, I've never even washed it. The leather is torn up from hauling lumber and debris and the outside is dented and scratched. You can easily tell that my truck is a truck!

Happy SUV'ing

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 01-10-2002, 09:20 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Doug, it's only if you wear a suit, have it washed and waxed to where it looks like it hasn't seen duty. You truly deserve your "truck." I'm just trying to figure out how SUV's became a status symbol. I remember driving my buddy's full sized Bronco into work on day in the mid 80's. The looks of sheer "disgust" by those with "cars" was overwhelming. If I may be so bold to say it, trendy sh!t makes me puke!

With that little bit of relief off my chest, Doug, have you looked at the Sequoia? But, seems to me, what you really need is a Suburban, but, that's just my take after all the Dog, Lumber, Stump pulling stories.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-10-2002, 11:41 AM

<<have you looked at the Sequoia?>>

Looked, didn't like.

I was thinking about a used Suburban (the new ones are too rounded in back to slide the dog crates through the opening), but I much prefer AWD to 4 wheel drive. Finding an older body style Suburban with the "Auto 4 Wheel Drive" as GM calls its AWD, is expensive and rare.

Did we ever find out if the HMCSL removal worked out OK?

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 01-10-2002, 11:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

Doug
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-10-2002, 01:35 PM

<<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doug
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>

Sorry, its a CHMSL
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 01-10-2002, 04:09 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
<<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doug
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>

Sorry, its a CHMSL
I couldn't figure out what in the hell you were talking about, then, I looked up and saw what this thread was SUPPOSED to be about. We do *sometimes* stray, don't we.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-10-2002, 06:23 PM

<<We do *sometimes* stray, don't we. >>

Maybe you do, but I'm as faithful as a dog...

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 01-11-2002, 08:44 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
<<We do *sometimes* stray, don't we. >>

Maybe you do, but I'm as faithful as a dog...

Doug
Does that mean, the first other person who offers you red raw meat, or the first ***** in heat you see and you're outta here?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-17-2002, 01:42 AM
I could use a nap...

brakelight developments

There are two developments that people keep sending to Congress.

First, pedal-position sensative brakelights. This one has lots of people supporting it. With it, your brake lights get brighter as you apply more pressure to the brake pedal. I'm sure they'll work some sort of flashing into a "panic stop" mode.

Second, with less support, is FRONT brakelights. The idea being that you should know when the car headed your way is really slowing down or not. Since the turn signals often use the two-filament bulbs anyway, it's just a matter of wiring them like the taillights. My friend's Firebird has them, and it is a freaky sight to behold.