How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-22-2003, 05:27 PM
alacrity024

any shooters here?

anybody here shoot guns? i've got a question about bullet type and accuracy..

i bought a pretty heavy-duty target rifle last summer and now that the bugs are gone, i'm starting to get pretty serious with it. are hollow-tipped bullets any less accurate than solid-tipped ones? the round i'm shooting is .22 magnum, so i don't know if it's too small to even matter, but any help would be appreciated..

so far i'm tagging 2" diameter discs from 100 yards with some degree of consistency, but i'd like to be making that shot from twice the distance and i think at that point, bullet construction is gonna be much more important..

-adam
Old 10-22-2003, 05:34 PM
Superbeast

Alright, alright! I'll start looking for gears again! How much did I want for that tranny? Uh, just make it $500 ! Is that OK? I hope?

J/K
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 10-22-2003, 05:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
no a little

Yes hollow point does effect accuracy & range a little. Hollow points are not designed for target shooting. They are designed to deform after entry. The deformity causes more tissue damage. There are rounds designed specifically for target shooting. Talk to the people at your local gun store. (go to one small speciallized stores not one of the big chain sporting stores)
Old 10-22-2003, 05:50 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Sounds pretty interesting. Not to be nosey, but can you provide more info about target shooting? Its something I've always admired.

- Rob
Old 10-22-2003, 05:56 PM
alacrity024

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Sounds pretty interesting. Not to be nosey, but can you provide more info about target shooting? Its something I've always admired.
yeah.. push-ups help

it's pretty cheap to get into.. probably no more than a $200 initial investment for a used .22 with a set of closed sights.. ammo is super cheap too.. of course, you can EASILY drop $2,000 on a rifle with carbonfiber barrel, custom trigger, etc. etc. etc. but in the beginning it's all about stamina and consistency

-a
Old 10-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Shot king

I'm a gun fanatic myself its the one thing that keeps me from spending to much money on my cars cause i know i gotta have money for ammo once the weekends come. I especially like the round that you speak of the 22 magnum and not to say it can't be done but its gonna be hard to get much accuracy at 200 yards with it
Quote:
so far i'm tagging 2" diameter discs from 100 yards with some degree of consistency, but i'd like to be making that shot from twice the distance
. The 22 magnum just was'nt designed with those distances and target shooting in mind. It was designed to take the good characteristics of a standard 22 (low recoil, low noise) and extend the range to more useful hunting distances. I've read alot of reviews that bash it in the accuracy dept. but have not found this to be tru myself. Out to 75 yards its a tackdriver 100yards i can keep it close 1.25" 125yards 3" after that the bullet flight tends to get erratic and i even seen them keyhole (bullet turn sideways in flight) at that range. The relatively lightweight bullet lacks the momentum to stay stabilized in flight. This being said i hope that you do achieve your goal and definately keep me posted.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Shot king

BTW: I got a library fullof all sort of technical gun stuff. If ya need any more info let me know.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:33 PM

I ave 2 .22s, one w/ a scope and one older style, id type more but my keyboard is still screwed up but sootin is fun! i really can spell its te keyboard i swear

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 10-22-2003, 07:36 PM
Shot king

Just don't forget the .50 Pete. I'm holdin a fmj from one now and can just imagine what can be done with one of those things.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:36 PM
ww111

Good for you!!!

I'm not very familiar with how accurate the 22 mag. is I don't recall it being considered a target rifle. There are a LOT of great .22 rimfire rifles. "Eley Match" is one of the best manufacturers of ammo for the .22lr, they may make .22 mag ammo as well. I'm not sure. As for hollow points vs. solid... I've got a serious Colt CAR-A4 with Springfield Armory optics on it. Nearly all of the match ammo for this rifle (.223) are hollow points.

Look up "Army Marksmanship" and "Army Sniper Training" in and you'le find copies of the real manuals on-line in PDF format.

BTW, .50 cals are for the weak.

Collins,
Product test engineer, Defenshield Inc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nota50.jpg (27.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 10-22-2003, 09:03 PM
ww111

Try this Link

http://www.huntingnut.com/pointblank.html

Free software is never bad... It does look like the 22 mag drops about 39" at 200 yds. Not the hot ticket.

Happy shooting

PS, I couldn't find 22Mag. match ammo.

Collins
Old 10-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Shot king

Collins, can ya tell me a lil bout this defenshield job sounds like its pretty interesting. Do ya test millitairy products?
Old 10-22-2003, 10:12 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Sorry to but in, but I realy don't understand the purpose of target shooting. You can do the same thing with a b-b gun or paintball gun (or even a bow). And if you're just shooting at targets, why would you need a .50 or even a .22?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 10-23-2003, 03:14 AM

Registered SVX
I used to go hunting with a .303 British for which I made a custom stock and did a lot of tuning work on, It would hold 1.25 inches of angle day in day out.

One of the most important items in my book is the trigger. It does not and should not on a hunting rifle be extra light, but should release like breaking glass. Great tactile pleasure ! Bearing blue, an oil stone, patience, effort and time is required.

I agree a .22 magnum is not the calibre to choose for accuracy and at 200 yards forget it. At 100 yards I would put my money on the standard .22 rim fire as more development has gone into this classic old work horse than any other round and superb match ammo is available.

My two cents and nice to talk on something other than cars for a change.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-23-2003, 05:38 AM
ww111

Josh,
I came up with the idea about two years ago. Some of the attributes of the product date to the civil war. But with new technology in armor and glazing there are some unique (patent pending) qualities to this. Anyway, we had our first sale to the Navy a month ago and we're shipping 4 units to the Malvo trial in 10 days.

We've got units rated from 9mm to 30-06 AP (NIJ IV). I'm actually the owner and prez, but product test engineer sounds better. The website is www.defenshield.com . Picts and video of the Marines shooting and blowing it up at Quantico in May are pretty neat, (Talk about a good shot). These guys are the Marine corp rifle and pistol team.

Anyway, as far as the sport goes... Yep, I have as much fun with my pellet gun as I do with my AR. I think everyone who shoots enjoys shooting most any weapon. Pellet guns especially now that there's snow on the ground

Once I can take a break from the biz for a second I'm going top get into "Practical shooting" and "3 Gun" THAT looks like fun!

Collins
just some guy

Last edited by ww111; 10-23-2003 at 06:26 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: