Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Why I despise rap music (warning, has bad language)

I don't hate it for the wrong reasons. Here are a few reasons why I hate most 'hip hop' and rap music (though I am digging jurassic 5, and I don't have anything against rapping (ltj bukem, G love and the special sauce, a few bt songs), but against the rap music culture, and most of the 'music'.

1. The 'image'. I hate the hip hop image. I hate seeings gangsta's dressed like they're in the ghetto driving around in exotic cars. I hate seeing them in mansions with thousands of skantily clad women. I hate seeing them with all gold teeth. I hate seeing them always trying to be badass, and never having fun. I hate seeing them constantly pissed off. Why? Because its bull****. Most rap fans are never going to be driving around a ferrari. Most rap fans are never going to have a mansion. Most people who listen to rap have rather ****ty cars, and live in ****ty places. Yes, there are a lot of exceptions. I'm positive that there are multi millioniares who listen to rap music. But I'm not referring to that. I'm referring to the 'image' that rap videos portray, and reality. They do NOT coexist. The image is fake, mass produced, and mass consumed.

2. The constant reference to women as *****es. Women are not *****es, or ho's. They are people. I hate the fact that rappers belittle women. It's stupid. It's almost like a perpetual downward spiral of the lower class. Let's see... listen to rap music, get it ingrained in your head that women are *****es, and call your woman a *****. Have a kid with her, then when she's being *****y play the typical rapper move and ditch out on her. Now we have a single woman with a child (or more than one) with no husband. Great. F*cking awesome.

3. The lack of creativity. Ooooo yay a rap artist sampling someone else's song! Wow, it took a lot of talent! pffft. How about making up your own music, instead of resting on the shoulder of actual musicians.

4. The rappers who DO make their own music... it SUCKS. It's like a simple beat, with lotsa bass, and maybe some EXTREMELY simple piano notes that make it feel almost childish, even though the lyrics are full of '*****es, ho's nigga this, nigga that'

5. I hate white people who think they are black.

6. I hate black or white or pink or purple people who think they are thugz when they live in the suburbs.

7. I hate the role models that rappers portray. Gee... we have little children in the slums, and they wanna be just like Nelly or P-Diddy when they grow up. How inspiring. I bet you they'll all be on honor roll and go to school when they grow up too!

8. I hate rap fans who install huge subwoofers in their cars. There might be a small degree of them who have enough common sense to replace ALL the speakers in their cars, instead of just adding a sub, and they might have enough common sense not to blast their music and force everyone else to listen to it, but they must be few and far between. Again, it's the image thing. Sound quality? Who cares. We just want bass, and lots of it. I'm going to have a ****ty car, and install over $1500 of stereo equipment into it so it makes a HUGE 'booom ba boom boom booooooom ba boom boom' even though the rest of my speakers are distorting and sounding like ass and I have no high frequencies. AWESOME. F*cking morons.

9. I hate the lyrics. "*****, suck my dick! *****, get out the way! *****, back dat ass up! Nigger this! Nigger that!"
It's pathetic. Talk about LOW CLASS, and I'm not referring to financial status, I'm talking about the lack of any sort of class or respect. If you listen to lyrics like that, I do not respect you as a person.

10. Ever notice how an orchestra can make you feel? Ever notice how a lonely piano song can make you feel? Ever notice how dance music can make you feel? Ever notice how great music can make you feel? Exactly. Music affects our moods, and our lives. Listening to rap music? Pissed off, and I'm a thug, and 'don't f*ck wit' me ***** or I'll cap your ass'. Is this a healthy feeling? No.

I could keep going. I don't hate RAP music exactly, I hate GANGSTA rap. I hate GANGSTA rap fans. I hate GANGSTA rappers. I hate the GANGSTA rap lifestyle. I hate what it is doing, saying, and becoming. It's disgusting, and ... think of it this way: Let's say aliens came to our planet... do you think they'd be impressed if they heard rap albums? I don't. :| You know what? Most people aren't. So turn down your f*cking stereo if you're blasting rap music right now.

- Rob
Old 09-08-2003, 04:46 PM
alacrity024

hahahaha rob, i feel you 100%

i, too enjoy quite a bit of hip-hop/rap music, but an enormous amount of new hip-hop is complete garbage. i can't comprehend how people can enjoy listening to DMX go "n***a WHAT??? n***a WHAT?!?!?!" for 3m40s... just doesn't make any sense.

you should check out the forums at http://www.clubdjzone.com

a lot of us are pretty ticked off at what hip hop and the mass consumerism that goes along with it has done to electronic music culture..

-adam
Old 09-08-2003, 05:19 PM
Hater

i'll tell you what the worst part about rap is - the live performances. have you ever seen rap "artists " on stage? it just sounds like three (or more) guys having a shouting match while a record plays in the background.
"Yo, throw your hands in the air, wave 'em around like you just don't care!" exactly. i DON'T care.

BTW Rob, you say rappers should make up their own music, but don't you listen to Techno, House, Electronica, Whatever-Variety-Of-Computer-Generated-Noise? i wouldn't really consider programming a synth or manipulating waveforms on a computer 'musicianship.' METAL RULES!

fo shizzle my nizzle.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-08-2003, 05:38 PM
alacrity024

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
BTW Rob, you say rappers should make up their own music, but don't you listen to Techno, House, Electronica, Whatever-Variety-Of-Computer-Generated-Noise? i wouldn't really consider programming a synth or manipulating waveforms on a computer 'musicianship.' METAL RULES!

hey......

i have a lot to say in the defense of electronic music (i'm an electronic music director at the local college radio station), but i won't get too deep into it. suffice to say, electronic music is far more rhythmically oriented than more "traditional" music (read: metal)

this is to say, even elements which are traditionally purely tonal (like synth sounds, keyboard noises, etc) become more important RHYTHMICALLY than tonally..

now with that said, i spin trance records and play drums in a metal band

-adam

(btw, don't even get me STARTED on how much i hate this "new metal" crap.. saliva, slipnot, system-of-a-whatever... ugh.. it's all BS... ...and justice for all = best full album EVER)

\m/ \m/
Old 09-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
now with that said, i spin trance records and play drums in a metal band

-adam

(btw, don't even get me STARTED on how much i hate this "new metal" crap.. saliva, slipnot, system-of-a-whatever... ugh.. it's all BS... ...and justice for all = best full album EVER)
Q: what is the definition of a band?
A: a group of musicians and a drummer <rimshot>

i like Slipknot, but i can't stand that System-of-a-Whatever. that singer is really annoying.
i have absolutely NO respect for Metallica anymore. i liked Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets (couldn't get past the horrible production on Kill 'Em All), but they started going downhill with ....And Justice. just my opinion, but they are total idiots now.

if you're never heard them, check out Fear Factory - kinda 'techno-metal'. one of my favorites.

Old 09-08-2003, 05:50 PM
alacrity024

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
Q: what is the definition of a band?
A: a group of musicians and a drummer <rimshot>
ha ha. stop telling jokes.
Quote:
just my opinion, but they are total idiots now.
couldn't agree more, but i really liked ...ajfa *shrug*
Quote:
if you're never heard them, check out Fear Factory - kinda 'techno-metal'. one of my favorites.
OOOOOH! so you DO like synthesizers!!! HA!

-adam (at "work")
Old 09-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Hater

i think the most annoying thing about AJFA for me was the "super mid-scooped" guitar sound. don't get me wrong, i like a nice mid scoop, but there should be SOME mids left!

Old 09-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Shot king

Lets not forget our boys from Ministry. Thats some good techno metal. BTW Rob i'm totally behind ya on this one.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:21 PM
alacrity024

mm, and KMFDM Sucks, eh?

-adam (btw, i thought they (kmfdm) were done making records.. then they put out a new one! whut gives?!) (also pigface.. mean)
Old 09-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Landshark, check this out:

www.di.fm

Just check out the different 'stations' you can tune into. House. Hard house. Techno. Trance. Euro. AND CLASSICAL

All biasedness aside, electronic music is the MODERN version of classical. You have composers trying to capture a feeling, you have a lot of different layers, or instraments, and you have an enourmously complex and wide array of rythms, tones, and melodies all going on at the same time. There's a reason that 'electronic music' website offers classical, and its that they have a LOT in common.

- Rob
Old 09-08-2003, 07:09 PM

I concur with the original post.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:13 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: opinion

not that i am in favor of the music being sent across the airwaves these days, but if it floats their boats.......

geez rob, i'm going to start taking bets on how long you will live. you may blow a vein or something from all the things that's wrong with this world. if you don't like it, change the station man, no need to get that worked up over it.

regardless, you think their music sucks, but enough people are listening to their music for them to continue with their 'so-called' music careers (or whatever you want to call it). you think their music sucks, they think your music sucks. you hate them and they hate you. (incomes barney the purple dragon that sings 'i hate you. you hate me. we're a part of a dysfunctional family.')

so they spend their money on a $3000 bucks on a subwoofer and some big 'bling-bling' rims. it's what makes them happy which i guess is all that matters to them. it's all that matters to me anyway.

they act thuggish, not to gain respect from you, but from their peers (which i guess is the norm for them). sometimes those appearances are needed depending on the community that they reside in. i've been to those places. i used to have friends who lived next to a crack house, gunshots ringing through the day, prostitutes that walk the street, the truck drivers that use to kill the prostitutes, and cops that don't do a damn thing.

i've been around what you would consider 'scum of the earth' (i just think they are people like you and me.) and i've been around people who are on top of the socioeconomical scale. i recommend you going out to meet some of these fine individuals to learn that they really aren't that much different than you and me.

good luck
Old 09-08-2003, 08:39 PM
gordon gekko

Re: re: opinion

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
not that i am in favor of the music being sent across the airwaves these days, but if it floats their boats.......

geez rob, i'm going to start taking bets on how long you will live. you may blow a vein or something from all the things that's wrong with this world. if you don't like it, change the station man, no need to get that worked up over it.

regardless, you think their music sucks, but enough people are listening to their music for them to continue with their 'so-called' music careers (or whatever you want to call it). you think their music sucks, they think your music sucks. you hate them and they hate you. (incomes barney the purple dragon that sings 'i hate you. you hate me. we're a part of a dysfunctional family.')

so they spend their money on a $3000 bucks on a subwoofer and some big 'bling-bling' rims. it's what makes them happy which i guess is all that matters to them. it's all that matters to me anyway.

they act thuggish, not to gain respect from you, but from their peers (which i guess is the norm for them). sometimes those appearances are needed depending on the community that they reside in. i've been to those places. i used to have friends who lived next to a crack house, gunshots ringing through the day, prostitutes that walk the street, the truck drivers that use to kill the prostitutes, and cops that don't do a damn thing.

i've been around what you would consider 'scum of the earth' (i just think they are people like you and me.) and i've been around people who are on top of the socioeconomical scale. i recommend you going out to meet some of these fine individuals to learn that they really aren't that much different than you and me.

good luck

well said noir. I say to each their own.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:23 PM

Well....I am a fan of rap music! so ha , none of the commercial bull crap that is out today though, mostly old school original stuff. the things that people are sampling now. i.e. tupac, the lost boyz, the firm etc. now i know rob is a little biast lol, but the only thing he listens to are all the nigga's *****es and ho remarks, theres more to most songs than just that. i know this is a pointless defence because you're just gonna come back at me saying how stupid these ppl are because they have money and they flaunt it and how they have half naked women running around all the time and you dont, but for the most part, they went from rags to riches, and if they suck so bad, where do the riches come from? all a techno song is is a loud bass...thud thud thud thud, and some miscellaneous tings and tangs and big bangs and what not, how does that take anymore talent then writing a rap song? rappers have to flow with the beat to be good, have lyrics that make sense, and just stand out above the rest. id like to see you write a verse that sounds like it flows and have it make sense. so before you start saying how much you hate something, think about what other ppl think, because i guarantee you there's always gonna be someone on the other side of the fence. and yes there are alot of douche bags who think that they are thugged out in the suburbs, and thats why alot of ppl dont even bother trying to be open minded about things. i think that may be you're problem, you see things on tv, the stupid garbage that is put out to the masses, all the bling and the catchy tunes, you dont listen to the real artists, like the roots, talib kweli, pharoah monch, mos def, and tupac. obviously tupac had an effect on someone because on the anniversary of his death...this sunday, there will be candle light vigils all across the world. from the USA to Austrailia to Nigeria. so dont say that ppl arent touched by what these people say. tupac didnt rap about *****es hos drugs and cars, he rapped about real problems in this country, racism, ignorance, womens rights, poverty, and troubles that he encountered growing up. sure there's some vulgar language, but if you grew up in the projects i doubt you would be saying please and thank you all the time. you'd be scrounging enough money to eat lunch that day. i hate when people hate on something they have no clue about. if you dont have decent reasoning behind what you're saying then dont say it, because i can and will prove you wrong on this one. sure its to each his own, and im not trying to start an argument over this, but you have no idea what you're talking about. youre only argument is the language that they use. thats about it. you obviously have never listened to anything other than whats on MTV or whats on the radio (except J5 they kick ass) but other than that, idk if you really know what you're talking about. "I hate what it is doing, saying, and becoming." what is it doing? what is it becoming? if you think nelly is a "gangsta" then you obviously are clueless. and if someone can afford a 1.5 million dollar necklace then they must be doing something right huh? if i had money id flaunt it too, and im sure if you had that much money you'd roll around in some crazy ass expensive car acting like ur hot ****, so dont hate on ppl because they're something youre not.

i cant wait to see your reply "well they are disrespectful" every kind of music is going to be disrespectful for someone. theres always someone in rock music pissing someone off for something. i.e. marilyn manson or something like that, so im prepared to argue this one out.

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 09-08-2003, 09:27 PM

and live performances all depend on who you see

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport