Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-21-2014, 02:46 AM

Auto swap options

off the cuff topic - not requiring it, but thought it might provoke an interesting response......

Are there any other auto gearboxes to try other than the OEM one ?
(maybe by changing the bell housing, a newer type could fit ?).

Any thoughts or opinions going forward .......
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:54 PM

Re: Auto swap options

Glad you started this thread since my transmission is showing signs of repair/replace. Would be good to know what options we have. Hope someone provides some input.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 AM

When you say "OEM", are you referring to the original 3.54 ratio Subaru transmission? Meaning, you're not asking about the 4.44 swap, or, all the other "pretty much bolts right in " transmissions with other ratios, that are all Subaru "OEM" pieces?

A "change of the bell housing " implies that you may mean transmissions from another manufacturer.

A SVX 3.54 rebuild, done at the Dealership, can easily top 3K. Other "OEM" Subaru transmission swaps, of various gear ratios can usually be done for $1,000.00, or less, to $1,500.00 ( with a guarantee on the rebuild ). ( thank God for a 98 outback and junkyards LOL)

Then of course there's a whole other kettle of fish... "JDM" parts, which, although it would bolt up, isn't the same at all. Well, at least as far as just tossing it in.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:48 AM

Registered SVX

someodoby should do something like a
this fits for 92-95, if you change rear diff too
this fits for 96-97, if you change rear diff too

What throws a code and what doesn't etc.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 10-24-2014, 11:50 AM

So, a 98 Outback is a good replacement for a stock SVX transmission? I agree that it would be great if someone could provide what other Subaru transmissions fit what years SVXs. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not interested in 4.44 swaps but others may be interested in other OEM ratios and yes, JDM transmission are NOT included
Old 10-24-2014, 06:58 PM

Registered SVX

Not sure about the Auto, but if it is like the 5 speed, just about any tranny works. Impreza, Forester, Legacy, They all bolt up. The Auto may be the same? The TCU might be a problem. That I don't know about.. Surprised no one with the knowledge has not chimed in.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:04 PM

Does this help?

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
type 4.11 into the search function and find more than you might want to know.

All I can speak to with authority is what I have - a 98 Imprezza auto transaxle and a 97 Legacy rear differential (from a manual shift Legacy). The rear diff ratio must match whatever transaxle ratio is picked. 4.44 is also an option depending on price & local availability. A grinder (for the rear diff) a good assortment of hand tools, a couple of jackstands and a day or two and the swap can be done in a home garage - at least that's where I did mine.
Doh! I forgot to mention Lee in the members with upgraded gears...

What I'll add is this:

You have three different gearings at your disposal to choose from -

3.90 gears from turbo Legacys with a 4EAT

4.11 gears from NA Legacy sedans and wagons, and Impreza sedans as well as the Impreza Outback Sport Wagon.

4.44 gears from the Legacy Outback wagon

The Impreza rear diffs are very small and aren't large enough to swap in the limited slip from your SVX rear diff. Therefore, if you get a 4.11 Impreza trans, you'll need a 4.11 rear diff from a Legacy sedan or wagon.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:19 PM

What I was after initially was a range of non SVX related gearboxes, that "could" be modified to fit the car?.

Eg Nissan or any other 4WD type
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:25 PM

Non SVX related, or non Subaru? If it's not a 3.54 ratio, it was never in an SVX. There are a few reasons to ditch the factory transmission.

Increased accelleration. A 4.44 ratio swap would wake it up off the line, at the expense of higher RPM at highway speeds.

Increased reliability. Early SVX transmissions suffered from a few common ailments. "first gen" spewed friction material as a normal function of use. Unfortunately, Subaru put a small screen filter in the transmission pan. It plugged, the transmission lost fluid flow, and Cherynobled. The gearing itself causes high loading stress on it's bearings and also contributes to a high heat load on the transmission. There was a TSB ( Technical Service Bulletin ), which is like a recall, but not quite, to install a separate filter.

Price and availability. There were only about 25,000 SVXs' sold world wide, with only about 15,000 or so sold in North America. The ones sold outside of north America are different, and, although they can be used, are not "bolt in", they can be used, but it's a bit more involved. Other, more or less "bolt in" Subaru transmissions, of differing gear ratios, and the rear end "bits" to make them work, were produced for the North American market in the hundreds of thousands. Hence, cheaper to source and rebuild. A 3.54 SVX transmission, rebuilt and installed by a Subaru dealership can easily top three thousand dollars. A different, fully compatible transmission from a different Subaru product, is significantly less. If you're even a semi - competent mechanic, it's not that hard a DIY.. And the instructions can easily be found here on this forum.

If you want, you CAN use a Nissan Pathfinder transmission.. Oh... wait a second... Isn't that where a 4.44 comes from anyways? It's a 4EAT.. different gear ratios, some different internal bits etc.. but it's basically the same transmission.

One specific thing about the SVX is that, for lack of better terminology, the SVXs' engine and transmission are a team. They talk to each other in their own language. The TCU ( Transmission Control Unit ) and the ECU ( Engine Control Unit ) The "E" in "4EAT stands for "Electronic". It's not an old school transmission that relies solely on mechanical input for shift points, kick down etc. The kind of electronics that the SVX incorporates into it's drive train management is why there's such a thing as "Power Mode". In an SVX, the TPS ( Throttle Position Sensor ) MUST be properly calibrated to .50 volts. As little as a .20 volt variance will cause severe malfunctioning.

To install a transmission that doesn't speak "SVX", in and of itself would be problematic. To make it function properly would be it's own issue.

I'd like to ask, what is it about all the non stock, other than 3.54 options that are available from other Subaru products, or the Nissan transmission, that are unacceptable? What function is it that you are looking for that you can't find?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

First off, ignore everything here Surtees. You have a VTD transmission and everyone seems to forget that not everyone here is in the US...

For you over there, you can use any TURBO auto and swap the rear diff as well into your SVX from ~91-97, possibly 98's but you guys get model years "a year early" compared to us here. Just ensure there is no spin on filter on the side of the transmission. You can find info on the rear diff swap in svxfiles signature. Besides that, it's a matter of swapping the speed sensor. Everything else will bolt up and operate just fine for you guys. If you are unsure of what year the trans is, you will need to swap the C solenoid from your transmission into the replacement. This is relatively easily done by opening up the rear of the transmission. The reason for this is that the 90-95 VTD boxes use a normally open solenoid while 95+ use a normally closed. (or vice versa, i never remember but you get the idea) The TCU has to match the C sol type.

As for transmissions from other manufacturers, no, you cannot use them whatsoever. No other transmission is the same. They are Jatco designs which means some internal parts will swap, most notably friction materials. But other than that, they're going to use different cases, bellhousing, etc. I'm not aware of any other Jatco transmission that even has a built in front differential for an AWD system. Any of the Nissan pathfinder, Mazda MPV, etc all use a divorced transfer case.

Last edited by 1986nate; 10-28-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:22 AM

My SVX has a transmission from an early 1990's turbo Legacy fitted. Seems to work well.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Just watched a car show testing the 2015 WRX and STI. They raved about the CVT. Even had WRC champ said he liked it a lot. (Tommi Makinin I think). It would be interesting to have one in an SVX.

I know, off topic pipe dream. But still...
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.