Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-18-2014, 07:15 PM

fuel line from gas tank help

The metal fuel line from the tank to the inside fuel lines has started to leak. The factory instruction require dropping the rear sub frame as well fuel tank/exhaust as well as many other parts. I've checked w/ many mechanics and the cost is too high. I had this problem w/other SVX while on the road and local mechanic was able to lower tank enough to snake high strength rubber fuel line over tank and connect to fuel pump/inside fuel lines. Looks like I need to do this myself, so can anyone offer some advice? How is the metal line connected (w/clamps-threaded nuts), what length/diameter hose do I need (I'd like to use flexible hose covered w/stainless steel or other protected lines but these use ANA connectors). Any info to help purchase the appropriate hose/connectors is welcome.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:22 PM

Registered SVX
Re: fuel line from gas tank help

Remove the rear seat back. ( you can actually do it just by lifting the trunk rug with seat folded, but easier to work with seat back removed ) You can get to the pump out put lines. Go get High pressure fuel line. ( a little pricey but necessary ) Connect your new rubber fuel line from the pump in and out to the old steel line where you can find a good solid place. I hope I explained this correctly. You get the idea? I had this done by my machanic on my old perlite.
Similar to this but not sure of ID of hose needed
http://www.grainger.com/product/EATON-Hose-6DPJ9?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/6DPJ9_AS01?$smthumb$

Last edited by Conn SVX; 07-18-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:18 PM

When you connect to a solid part of the hard line, what type of clamps is required; will a worm clamps work or is something else required because of the pressure?
Old 07-20-2014, 06:51 PM

You should use hose injection clamp.
http://catalog.fmsiinc.com/viewitems...on-hose-clamps
Old 07-20-2014, 07:17 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Have you made sure that it's the metal lines and not the rubber hoses? There are a few short pieces that join the tank hard lines to the ones that run through the body. They aren't particularly hard to replace without tearing the car apart.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-20-2014, 10:07 PM

I'm not sure what line is leaking. I'm recovering from a couple of surgeries and didn't want to climb into the trunk/under car but I've tried 3 local mechanics and no one wants to commit unless I tow the car to their shop and then they may decline to do the work unless I agree to the factory procedure or if the parts are rusted. I had a similar problem w/ my other SVX and it was the metal line. I won't know until I pull access panel and take a look.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:34 PM

I finally got to tackle the gas line leak and immediately ran into a problem. I removed the spare tire and cleaned the tire well to expose the access panel. There are two rubber plugs which I thought covered bolts but they are just covers for drain holes.The cover has a crack from the interior wall to the spare tire holder bung and then continues about half way from the spare tire hold down bung to the rear trunk opening. I don't see any bolts/screws holding down the panel. I tried to pry up the panel, thinking it might just be held down by 20 year old sealant. The panel didn't budge but did chip off where the used the ply bar. Can anyone help w/advise as to how to remove the access panel? Any suggestions will be welcome since I'm dead in the water if I can't get to the fuel lines to determine what line is leaking.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

post deleted, bad info.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007

Last edited by Sean486; 08-15-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

The access panel is underneath the trunk carpet just behind the rear seat and in front of the spare tire well.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:17 PM

Thanks, I'll rollback further/remove the trunk carpet. I only folded it into the rear seat area so I could get to the spare tire. Hope I have better luck w/your help
Old 08-15-2014, 05:54 PM

Registered SVX

Remove the screws holding rug to the rear seat. They replaced mine with HIGH PRESSURE rubber hose/ gas line
Old 08-20-2014, 02:18 PM

Found my leak and want advise before I proceed. The leak isn't in a metal hose from the fuel pump across the tank but it is one of the metal lines entering the body below the back seat.There are 3 metal lines entering the body; this is the line further towards the rear end. I'm guessing that this is the feed line, one of the other two is a return lines and i have no idea what the 3rd line is for. The metal line that broke, is connected to a rubber hose that goes up to the fuel pump. Inside the body the metal line continues under the rear arm rest and I think is one solid line along the door sill. My idea is to cut the broken line at a straight area before it disappears under the arm rest and to attach a high strength/pressure rubber fuel line, fed through the rubber gasket in the floor, that I can attach to the broken metal end under the rear floor. I'm looking for advise before cutting the inside metal fuel. Once I cut, I'm committed so if there is an alternate solution, please let me know. There may be a junction in the fuel line just behind the side panel, which would be a better choice?