Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
The thing is, it doesn't take a quarter pound of dirt to do significant damage and especially over a long period of time.
See, this is where throwing a pinch of salt in a freshwater lake turns it into saltwater; there's no sign of units anywhere.

Not all of the dirt that makes it to your airbox gets to the throttle body - you've got a filter for that. So some tiny amount of some other tiny amount gets by and into your oil if it doesn't get incinerated and shot out the exhaust first, finding its way into the filter and then maybe out.

If a car tends to find its way into dusty rallycross stages or dirt roads, I could see this being a bit more of a concern. For the casual city car? Probably about as much of an issue as throwing that pinch of salt in a lake and noticing by taking a drink.

I don't use a K&N, but I'll feel free to defend it only as it's unduly discredited by empty words like "more" and "worse".
Old 08-11-2011, 10:33 AM

Registered SVX

after replacing my maf sensor i deposited the k&n that came with the car in the trash. the largest issue i see with the k&n is that the oil and dirt coats the maf sensor hot wire and deforms it due to the extra heat, doesn't seem to matter on american cars but i have a stack of questionable asian mafs that i took out of cars with less than 30k because the owner over oiled the k&n.

as far a oil, i have recently been buying bmw full synthetic from the dealer. it's castrol full synthetic and they sell it cheaper than the castrol brand does at auto stores.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
See, this is where throwing a pinch of salt in a freshwater lake turns it into saltwater; there's no sign of units anywhere.

Not all of the dirt that makes it to your airbox gets to the throttle body - you've got a filter for that. So some tiny amount of some other tiny amount gets by and into your oil if it doesn't get incinerated and shot out the exhaust first, finding its way into the filter and then maybe out.

If a car tends to find its way into dusty rallycross stages or dirt roads, I could see this being a bit more of a concern. For the casual city car? Probably about as much of an issue as throwing that pinch of salt in a lake and noticing by taking a drink.

I don't use a K&N, but I'll feel free to defend it only as it's unduly discredited by empty words like "more" and "worse".
I get what you are saying but I don't think the analogy is valid. Salt in water is no big deal as we need to injest salt in our diet anyways. Maybe alcohol is a better analogy? One glass of wine won't kill us and may even be beneficial but a bottle of wine a day might very well destroy our liver. But, even that analogy isn't valid because a little wine is OK. Silica in you engine is like ingesting a neurotoxin. Even a little every day is probably a really bad idea.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 08-11-2011, 06:36 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I get what you are saying but I don't think the analogy is valid. Salt in water is no big deal as we need to injest salt in our diet anyways. Maybe alcohol is a better analogy? One glass of wine won't kill us and may even be beneficial but a bottle of wine a day might very well destroy our liver. But, even that analogy isn't valid because a little wine is OK. Silica in you engine is like ingesting a neurotoxin. Even a little every day is probably a really bad idea.
I think what he is trying to say is, your not getting more then microscopic amounts of dirt, living in the city, now in the country that is another ball game entirely.
The city you wont see dirt roads, and its highly unlikely you will find dirt just kicked up by the tires. Now of the dust that "could" be in the air a properly oiled K&N will stop enough of it that what ever does go through wont be able to do any damage.

Again that is city life, You want to talk country that is a way different subject.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Silica in you engine is like ingesting a neurotoxin. Even a little every day is probably a really bad idea.
We're all living in a bunch of air we call the atmosphere which still contains a very, very diluted mix of radiation-packed fallen Russian satellite residue. I don't know that we're suffering any ill effects from it, or that we even have any way of measuring it.

Some bit of silica gets past the best-in-test filter, too. How much is too much? How much is worth talking about? What's the difference between one stone and two stones when compared to a quarry? It's either "100%" or "negligible".

Regarding over-oiling the filter... Isn't the solution to not over-oil the filter? Burned my dinner? Blame the oven - it's a piece of crap... it burns food! You can't blame the hardware on operator error, no matter how many lawsuits suggest otherwise.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
We're all living in a bunch of air we call the atmosphere which still contains a very, very diluted mix of radiation-packed fallen Russian satellite residue. I don't know that we're suffering any ill effects from it, or that we even have any way of measuring it.

Some bit of silica gets past the best-in-test filter, too. How much is too much? How much is worth talking about? What's the difference between one stone and two stones when compared to a quarry? It's either "100%" or "negligible".

Regarding over-oiling the filter... Isn't the solution to not over-oil the filter? Burned my dinner? Blame the oven - it's a piece of crap... it burns food! You can't blame the hardware on operator error, no matter how many lawsuits suggest otherwise.
Sure, nothing is 100% efficient and it is hard to define how much is too much. But we do know that sand is very bad so the amount should probably be kept as low as possible. Since we can't exactly quantify it, maybe one can't say for certain that the K&N, and filters like it, cross a line. But if the difference in HP is very small (maybe 1HP in most applications) then why not go with the more efficient filter? Maybe you are being overly cautious but, if I can minimize my exposure at very little expense (in this case the tradeoff is HP), why not do it? For example, I avoid using certain chemicals whenever I can. Would the exposure kill me? I don't know but if the alternative isn't a major inconvenience or cost so why take the chance?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
For example, I avoid using certain chemicals whenever I can. Would the exposure kill me? I don't know but if the alternative isn't a major inconvenience or cost so why take the chance?
If we're comparing questionable merits to questionable detriments, why not just go for the place we can really measure? The wallet!