Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-14-2011, 10:19 AM

SVX towhitch?

Im looking to get a custom towhitch on my 92 svx. At one time it will tow no more than 900 lbs with jetski and trailer, and with the AWD and the few modes that i have on it im guessing it will have no problem.
Any ideas or suggestion?
Old 06-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: SVX towhitch?

You will have to make the hitch yourself, as nobody offers one commercially.

I recently made one based on the plans that Tuzem and ConnSVX used. Do some searching for trailer hitch and you will find pictures.

Basically you need to buy a 2" square tube, a receiver tube, and some 2" x 1/4" flat bar, and some 1/2" or 3/8" bolts to put it all together. If you make it yourself you can do it for < $100.

I'll post some pics of mine if you like.

With 4.444 gears it had no trouble towing a u-haul 4x8 trailer with a bunch of my junk inside. Though I did have to remove the waterfall grille to get more airflow as the temp was starting to creep up sometimes, though it was a high 90's temp day when that happened. After I took the grille out it was fine. With stock 3.54 gears you will probably be fine too, just a little slower to get up to speed. Take it easy on acceleration and you shouldn't have much problem with 900lbs.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com

Last edited by Stevebsy; 06-14-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 PM

Registered SVX

Very easy to make . the hardest part is drilling the holes into the rear suspension arm. The space is cramped . I used a right angle drill. As said above .. You bend a 18" long piece of 1/4 3" wide steel plate at a 90 deg. you weld a 6" piece to the same stuff to bottom of the end sticking out .Drill a hole in it . Take a piece of the same stuff and bolt it to the 6" piece and make it long enough to reach the rear of the car between the hold downs . The square tube is cut just a 1/2 shorter than the distance between the tow rear hold downs. Weld taps to the ends of the square tube and fasten it to the hold downs then weld the long flat piece to it add the receiver and you are done SEE pictures and read this at the same time Go to my locker ans see pictures I have towed my motorcycle 70 miles on a 5X10 trailer
Old 06-15-2011, 06:05 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsy View Post
You will have to make the hitch yourself, as nobody offers one commercially.

I recently made one based on the plans that Tuzem and ConnSVX used. Do some searching for trailer hitch and you will find pictures.

Basically you need to buy a 2" square tube, a receiver tube, and some 2" x 1/4" flat bar, and some 1/2" or 3/8" bolts to put it all together. If you make it yourself you can do it for < $100.

I'll post some pics of mine if you like.

With 4.444 gears it had no trouble towing a u-haul 4x8 trailer with a bunch of my junk inside. Though I did have to remove the waterfall grille to get more airflow as the temp was starting to creep up sometimes, though it was a high 90's temp day when that happened. After I took the grille out it was fine. With stock 3.54 gears you will probably be fine too, just a little slower to get up to speed. Take it easy on acceleration and you shouldn't have much problem with 900lbs.
Not so sure about that. I'll have to do some searching but I think there was one available once upon a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer+hitch.jpg (33.5 KB, 341 views)

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel

Last edited by michael; 06-15-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

That looks custom to me.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 06-15-2011, 06:55 PM

Registered SVX

That's the guy i got my plans from in OZ/ He just went the chrome plated look. I my powder coat mine/// can they powder coat in silver ///??
Old 06-15-2011, 07:35 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Not exactly the pic i was searching for. I was picturing a teal svx with a black hitch.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 06-16-2011, 12:06 AM

Smile Re: SVX towhitch?

Yes that's my baby - got the local guys to make it for me, give me a couple of days & I will take photos to show you guys the underneath & bolt positions.

I actually only wanted it for my bike carrier - I have only used it for towing small trailer for short distances.

Steve in NZ (1 OF 1)
Old 06-16-2011, 05:27 PM

Here i found one on Rock Auto made for our svx's here is the link
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1212

I dont know if i will work on all the svx like the 95-96 or 97
let me know that hitch will work. Something i would want on my 97.

Last edited by kjoyes; 06-16-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

haha, good luck with that
Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM

Registered SVX

go to OLD locker and then to my locker ConnSVX go to the trailer pictures You will see it all together painted black on the bench. All that is missing is the Square tube that bolts between the hold down bolts and is welded to the end closest to the front bottom of the picture . The back is bolted to the swing arm . 5 bolts hold it on (2) int the swing arm One into the rear of the bracket for easy removal (optional you can weld it if you want ) and ( 2 ) that bolt it to the rear hold downs at each end of the square tube.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:18 AM

Sorry, but couldn't find where you were directing me to go for more info on the hitch.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Here you go.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...nn%20SVX|32722

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:56 AM

Thanks, that's what I needed.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:58 AM

1 OF 1 is mine - got the hitch made approx 22 years ago, mainly used for a bicycle rack....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_6426.JPG (425.9 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_6427.JPG (424.4 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_6428.JPG (455.4 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_6429.JPG (431.9 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_6430.JPG (444.0 KB, 232 views)
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.