How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-07-2001, 06:56 PM
Chad

Verify dead alternator

Have a question, more it's a statement that I wanted someone to say "duh, of course" so I'm ready for that. Anyway, for the story...

Driving down the highway today, going about 75 MPH, for about 20 miles or so, when all of a sudden, some of my idiot lights light up (you know, the lights on the dash) anyway, the lights that lit up were the "Steering", Battery, stop lamp, brake lamp and "ABS" So, I stop to make sure my belt isn't busted or anything like that. Everything looks fine and the car is still running, so I'm good to go.

After I got home, I checked to make sure that the battery terminals are clean (they are) and made sure my alt. belt was still tight (it is)

So... I start the car and remove the negative battery cable to see if the car will run off the alternator. IT DIES.

So, I need a new alternator..... right?
Old 11-07-2001, 08:00 PM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
Wink Duh, of course

Was in your spot 2 months ago!!! Good luck.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:18 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
First of all, NEVER EVER DO THAT AGAIN! Unless, of course, you like replacing alternators or blowing up batteries in your face! Batteries give off hydrogen gas and the spark coming from pulling the cable loose while there's a load on it can result in a mini Hindenberg experience for you plus an acid bath for your face and eyes! It usually causes the alternator to self-destruct. Easy way to tell if the alternator is doing anything is to turn the lights on and rev the engine a bit. If it's doing anything worthwhile the lights will get brighter. An alternator can still be bad even if it passes that test, but at that point it should be able to hobble to the closest garage for a $15 charging system test.

You still have a chance to get lucky though. It doesn't always burn them up, especially if the regulator (internal or external) is bad, the wiring to it is loose or the fuse(s) on its circuit are blown. Before condemning the alternator check all of the fuses with a test light - just looking at them doesn't always work.

Side Note: I've noticed a few people mention the 'A' word here - Autozone. Great place to buy wax and wiper blades. I don't know of any professional mechanic worth spitting on that will use their parts though. Pretty much the same for Checkers and O'Reillys (although in some areas you don't have much choice.) We always refer to them as 'Third time's a charm auto parts' - the first part is wrong, the second doesn't work or is broken in the box. You have a slight chance on the third try. I think they should all change their names to NAFTA Auto Parts.

I hope I didn't come on too stong here but that is a totally unsafe procedure, no matter who taught you to do it. Nothing is ever worth risking your eyesight, especially $15.

Beav
Old 11-08-2001, 12:29 PM
Lowered SVX

easy with the autozone beav.....

my wife designs the floor plans for all the stores from the corporate building. not to mention i have one of their water pumps on my svx. they did give me a lifetime guarantee honestly i have had it for a year with no problems. autozone is good to get your battery tested and to buy general auto parts like bulbs and plugs. but with a 20% discount how can i resist.......
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-08-2001, 12:33 PM
Not as old as Randy

Thank God she doesn't make the decisions on what vendors to buy from or I'd have to meet her in person. hahahahaha
Old 11-08-2001, 12:37 PM
Lowered SVX

honestly you have to understand......

who their target customer is. they target the do-it-yourselfer who is looking for the quickest fix for his vehicle and doesnt want to spend a lot of money doing it. so on a lot of parts what you get from autozone is low quality. too bad really because they have a decent concept. but again the important thing to remember is what kind of customer they target, their typical customer is usually lower income people who cant afford to take their car to a shop so they try to do the work themselves.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-08-2001, 12:46 PM
Not as old as Randy

Yeah I understand that - the hard part for me though is my customers coming up to me and saying "Screw you, you're too high! I can buy that at Autozone down the street for a heckuva lot less! And then they would expect me to stand behind the part, bad-mouth me when it goes bad, etc.

I can understand those that don't know better and those that are running a bit strapped. And in your case where you get a good deal. For me it's not worth a few bucks, I hate working on my own cars. Personally I'd pay double not to do something twice because of a defective part. But that's me....

Beav

If we all liked the same things we'd be standing in a heckuva long line....
Old 11-08-2001, 04:03 PM
Lowered SVX

dont get me wrong i agree......

but like you said if you are very low in the money dept. and you need your car.....you do what you have to do. i am actually shocked my waterpump has lasted this long. dont tell me wife i said that.
"Too much fun to drive!"