Old 11-06-2003, 03:34 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
opinions from someone who's never built a turbo kit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Rob
Can you show me where I posted those words? I'm not seeing it.

As for the rest, good luck. If you manage to make a $3k/300 HP reliable, good runninng SVX turbo happen, I will happily change my opinion and buy one. In the mean time, I stand by my opinion, and I'm sure you will stand by yours.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:37 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:

Can you show me where I posted those words? I'm not seeing it.

As for the rest, good luck. If you manage to make a $3k/300 HP reliable, good runninng SVX turbo happen, I will happily change my opinion and buy one. In the mean time, I stand by my opinion, and I'm sure you will stand by yours.
I don't have a concrete opinion. I'm just slightly miffed because I was asking IF something like that was available, would you want one. You answered the question eventually. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I'll keep you guys posted.

- Rob
Old 11-06-2003, 03:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Give it up

Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg
I'm tired of all the arguing. A simple question was asked either answer it or dont. For all you people who insist on fight over everything, stop by my house,. I'll issue out a sword from my collection to each of you and you can have a duel to the death. Then the rest of use who use the site for info and to set up meets and other such CALM things can get on with our lives QUIETLY.
I agree with Mike. The point of this thread was pretty clearly stated. Granted, you can't always guarantee what responses you're going to get (I just mounted a plywood wing on my hood - give me only glowing feedback ), but if you're not interested in Rob's proposed turbo kit, don't freaking post in the thread. It's that simple.

Hell, Rob even went the extra step to say, 'stay the hell out if you're not interested.'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-06-2003, 05:53 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:

I thought the prices were quite reasonable for new good quality parts. Sure, you can probably find a less expensive turbo, but the efficiency will be lower, and the lifetime will be reduced. The price I quoted for the intercooler is well below the prices I've seen in my research. Typically prices for ICs are around $500. I low-balled the electronics costs too. An S-AFC II costs a minimum of $300. A J&S Safeguard costs more like $600. Both would be necessary. The price I quoted for the fuel injectors is right in the middle of what I've seen. Some are a little more. Some are a little less. The cost for the manifold-back exhaust is quite reasonable IMHO. It would include the up-pipe, down-pipe, a cat, the sewer pipe to the muffler, the muffler, and the labor to weld it all up. Same deal with the intake. It would be custom built, and labor is a killer. The same with the parallel fuel rail mod. I imagine that would take a minimum of 2 hrs labor to build, and then I expect the company would want some profit on top of that. The cost of the oil cooler and lines is reasonable too when all the fittings and adaptor pieces are included. The unfortunate truth of the situation is that piggy-back modules are unlikely to make a satisfying product, which would mean that a stand-alone ecu will be necessary. So that's more money. (The RS-T guys have generally only had good success when using a stand-alone ecu.)

It may be tempting to say, well, we're only going for 5 psi, so forget the IC. But you have to remember that this is a 10:1 compression ratio motor. The intake charge has to be as cool as possible to keep the possibility of detonation to an absolute minimum. For the same reason, you could rationalize that an oil cooler is unnecessary. But then someday, you're going to get the temptation to really drive the car hard for an extended period. Without the IC, the car will eventually lose power as the intake charge heats up, and if you decided the J&S Safeguard was unnecessary, the motor could easily start detonating, and that would be the end of your motor. And you might be tempted to pass on the parallel fuel rail mod. The stock fuel rail probably flows fine, right? Forget the fact that the 4 cylinder guys have shown that the fuel pressure can drop several psi on the 4 cylinder motors as the fuel makes its way from the start to the end of the fuel rail. So what if cylinder 6 runs a bit lean. The motor is forged, and it can handle the occasional detonation, right? And of course, no one is ever going to be tempted on increase the boost. "Its only a 5 psi turbo, and I'll never be tempted to bump up the boost despite the fact that everyone says that boost is more addicting than crack."

I didn't just pull these ideas out of thin air. For the last month, I've been extensively reading NASIOC, RS25, subaru-svx.net, and any other board I can about turbocharging Subarus and turbocharging in general. There is a wealth of information out there that all points to these items being needed for a successful SVX-T, and I think the prices I quoted for these items are very reasonable. I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I'm just attempting to inject a bit of reality into the topic.

edit:
The upside to needing all these things though, is that once they are installed, it is possible to tweak the boost a bit, tune the hell out of the motor, get lots of HP, and have a car that drives nice. Judging by the RS-T dyno charts I've seen, 330-350 HP out of an EG33 is not an unreasonable expectation when these components are used. That's why I said before that I believe $5K can get 330-350 HP, but $3K will not get you 300 HP.

wow, i meant that when you put a kit together you DONT sell all the parts at retail pricing, but anyways...
phil
Old 11-09-2003, 10:34 PM
xrated83

the turbo kit

hey
iam very interested if something like that would be availible. i spent about six or so grand on svx and still its not as quick as i would like to be. the stage two kit with the inrercooler sounds sweet. i was planing on selling the x but if they came out with a turbo for it i would for sure not sell it. please look into it and let me know if any progress is made.
thanx, xrated83
Old 11-09-2003, 11:00 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Please respond in the other Hahn Racecraft turbo thread. The OTHER thread is the one that was sent to Hahn, since people didn't read what the purpose of this thread was, and instead gave their opinions about how to make a turbo kit instead of answering if they'd be interested or not. Long story short, please respond in the other thread.

- Rob
Old 04-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
If I had money, I would buy it in a sec. I was trying to find out in the STI turbo would fit in ours, probly won't but always try. so ya, withen 9 months I 'd say I could (if I don't fall back into debt AGAIN!) buy it
Old 04-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Donate to the mod fund

Send a message via AIM to BigBlueSVX
you do realize that that post was written almost a year and a half ago, right?

Now part of the DSM crowd: 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Old 04-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Tempers were flaring just a little too.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueSVX
ahhh 2003..was a good year eh..the memories....
Old 04-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueSVX

aw, i miss that short-tempered, B.S.-detecting jackass.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

I didn't read the whole thread, much less the long winded ranting posts, but with the price of the ECUtune supercharger kit at $6,340 shipped, a turbo kit for under 4k would be a nice option. I'd be willing to give it a shot.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshoe50
Hi again,

i always seem to be the negative side of this ledger....

The SVX is way too heavy and underbraked to say NOTHING about having an inadequate transmission to handle the job with a TURBO....

If you want to fly, get a VR4 and FLY with twin turbos....if you want beautiful luxury cruising and better than average power and a gorgeous interior (I just had mine reupholstered in gray and black leather) then the SVX is the most beautiful car...

Time has shown that the wheels bearings, brakes and transmission cannot handle the stock power, SO GET^ OVER IT!!!!

The SVX is not a dragster, not a road racer, its a luxo-cruiser
when will you guys get the message { from FUJI heavy industries, incidently} not me

Richard
WHO'S THAT GUY???

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:59 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myetball
I didn't read the whole thread, much less the long winded ranting posts, but with the price of the ECUtune supercharger kit at $6,340 shipped, a turbo kit for under 4k would be a nice option. I'd be willing to give it a shot.
What??? The intrinsic data of the whatchamadingy clearly states that the turbo is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike the Supercharger!! It's obvious the BS meter is totally off the scale here!!

Just kidding. I just thought I would follow the format of the thread.

Just a personal opinion, but I kind of favor the supercharger. From what I've read, the turbo is harder to get set up right, while the supercharger appears to be turnkey with all the parts needed and pretested/prototyped.

This opinion is irrelevant of course, cause my wife said no. I am suffering from the gripes of the radiator, and she's called me to task on it.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-18-2005, 12:11 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Look guys, I have realized that a professional turbo kit and regrinds costs between $5-6 grand, and getting an STI tranny + upgrading it to handle higher torque and hp, will cost around $4.5 grand... so i think i will be more than satisfied with a nice JDM 6mt and some engine improvements (cooled intake, lighter pulleys...) and lightweighing my SVX more and more...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.