Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2009, 03:53 PM

Re: tailight mods

I've wondered what SVX would look like with light-pipe LED tail lights, like some of the BMWs...

I was thinking 3 or 4 stripes through the tail light area, with the upper and lower stripe going around the amber turn signal area, and then tapering toward each other, and a single stripe in the side marker.

The upper and lower stripe would actually go across the rear of the car, and the SVX center panel be indirectly lit.

The brake lights would brighten the light pipes, and also have LED arrays behind them, like some of the theories here... to really get brighter. And LED arrays in the amber segments, and the white segments for turn and reverse, respectively.

But that would take some work... I've heard that people have done some of that sort of thing with clear acrylic dowels, or chopped up clear acrylic clothing hangers or things like that, with LEDs epoxied to the ends, and the back side of the acrylic roughed for light diffusion. It would be interesting to play with...

I've seen the NSX stuff online, and it is high-quality stuff with bright LED arrays. NSX guys usually don't go for the marginal quality products or workmanship.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:37 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf

Yeah NSX guys get teh quality attention we really should on our cars. Too bad they are too heavy for the same eyes to look upon our poor babies with the same looks. Well the guy local to me is pretty young but seems skilled. I'll look into this once I can get a set of spare tails for him to dicect and get to work on.
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 06-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

anyone know what size we need yet??? I'm probably going to be clearing my tails this summer so if no one does it before me I'll measure and look at what we can use.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf View Post
Yeah NSX guys get teh quality attention we really should on our cars. Too bad they are too heavy for the same eyes to look upon our poor babies with the same looks. Well the guy local to me is pretty young but seems skilled. I'll look into this once I can get a set of spare tails for him to dicect and get to work on.
-Gaddis
Gaddis - I think I talked to the same guy through the NSX boards (how many young college students living in NH making LED tails for NSX could there be?). He really knows his stuff as he's an electrical engineering student and I read all 40+ pages of a thread to see his whole process. I have no doubt he does a quality product with the best materials and workmanship and hours and hours of trial and error and engineering know-how to get to that point.

I asked him if he could do something for the SVX but he said he wouldn't have time, he already has several years of backlogs for the NSX lights (he can only do 3 or 4 a month and has a list of like 30 waiting. He suggested a few links for me and that I study and figure out how to do it myself. But I don't think I have the time or skills to pull it off to the level he can.

Since you are local, if you think you can get him more interested in a SVX project let me know. I have a full set of all 5 tail light pieces in great stock condition. If you were able to confirm that he would start work on them, I would send them out to you. I just wouldn't want to do it until he was ready, don't want to lose them for a couple years or anything.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 06-05-2009, 02:58 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Gaddis - I think I talked to the same guy through the NSX boards (how many young college students living in NH making LED tails for NSX could there be?). He really knows his stuff as he's an electrical engineering student and I read all 40+ pages of a thread to see his whole process. I have no doubt he does a quality product with the best materials and workmanship and hours and hours of trial and error and engineering know-how to get to that point.

I asked him if he could do something for the SVX but he said he wouldn't have time, he already has several years of backlogs for the NSX lights (he can only do 3 or 4 a month and has a list of like 30 waiting. He suggested a few links for me and that I study and figure out how to do it myself. But I don't think I have the time or skills to pull it off to the level he can.

Since you are local, if you think you can get him more interested in a SVX project let me know. I have a full set of all 5 tail light pieces in great stock condition. If you were able to confirm that he would start work on them, I would send them out to you. I just wouldn't want to do it until he was ready, don't want to lose them for a couple years or anything.
I"ll be seeing him tomorrow and I'll talk to him about it. He seemed interested last I talked to him about it. Local Subi forum cruise out to the beach and I'll make sure to talk to him.
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 06-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

good luck, hope this happens everytime I see led lights now it makes me wonder how good they'd look in my svx!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:30 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Guess who said he's down for getting a few spare sets to start working it out in about a month to a month in a half from now. He's got I think 4 NSX tails backed up right now and he's doing his own RS's tails right now but he's eager to get at it. I'm gonna look into at least possibly finding a set to give him for my own car. Damn and I thought I was done spending money on the SVX till I got the Impreza running again.
-Gaddis

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 06-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Guess who said he's down for getting a few spare sets to start working it out in about a month to a month in a half from now. He's got I think 4 NSX tails backed up right now and he's doing his own RS's tails right now but he's eager to get at it. I'm gonna look into at least possibly finding a set to give him for my own car. Damn and I thought I was done spending money on the SVX till I got the Impreza running again.
-Gaddis
Awesome! If you end up having trouble getting a spare set before he's ready to start in on them, or if he wants more than one set for R&D, let me know. I have all 5 pieces ready to ship out.

Thanks for your efforts. If this works out, I think this will be what many of us have been waiting years for - a top quality, plug-n-play looks-like-OEM LED tail light solution.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:27 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
-Gaddis
Which NSX tails are his? I've seen a couple different designs.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

+1, show some of his work. I'd love some new tail lights, but I'm not interested in any ricer Altezzas or anything like that.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

I'll let Gaddis confirm, but from what I remember on the NSX site is they are very stock looking with the lights off, either the stock diffusers are still in or he has some new ones custom in there. When the LEDs are on of course, they light up faster and brighter and fill the whole assembly in a very cool way, including amber turn signals and super bright white reverse lights. I assume it would be much the same on ours.

I'd post some links but I don't want to step on any toes, this isn't my deal.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
I'll let Gaddis confirm, but from what I remember on the NSX site is they are very stock looking with the lights off, either the stock diffusers are still in or he has some new ones custom in there. When the LEDs are on of course, they light up faster and brighter and fill the whole assembly in a very cool way, including amber turn signals and super bright white reverse lights. I assume it would be much the same on ours.

I'd post some links but I don't want to step on any toes, this isn't my deal.
Not sure. I can't remember what his NSX ones look like. I have access to pics but have to run out the door to work shortly. When I get home I'll linky. I want to see how his GC ones turn out that he's working on for his own car. I do kinda want to see about being a little ricey on mine for hte SVX just update the look. Nothing crazzy just a light strip maybe in the tail bar or back lighting the SVX in the tail bar or something. Anywho I'll post up when I get back.
-Gaddis

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 06-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

bump 4 updates
Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
bump 4 updates
I should be seeing him Saturday durring a local cruise if he comes. I'll talk to him face to face about it and have him look at the car in person. Other than that it'll have to wait till someone gets him some tails to work out.
-Gaddis

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 06-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
I swear freeman you and I are the only ones who are willing to try stuff anymore. I swear all these guys stopped being into modifying anything but the drive train in 2003. That and giving themselves bigger horns

I could care less what my horn sounds like I'd much rather make it look better as well as drive faster.

I guess we're the minorities now, or the "ricers" lmao! I don't understand all the "ricer" attacks lately. I have never thought of putting a humongous spoiler or fart can exhaust on my car, let alone some overly extravagant body kit. Every mod I've looked into would make my car look more clean and sleek or improve the power to weight ratio.
I'm interested to see what comes out of this thread. Keep up the good work.

Also keep in mind this thread is in the Mod Mania section. We recognise and uphold the right of owners to do what they like with their cars. On the one hand you have to learn to tolerate a little banter from the more conservative members [old or otherwise!]

On the other hand "ricer attacks" would be against the rules and the general ethos of the place too. We want people to enjoy their cars, and modifications that modernise and improve the cars could be a help to all.

So stand up for your right to do your mods and don't be always playing victim and crying foul. The Mods will back you if you are taking unfair flak.

Boldly go, guys, boldly go.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl