Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd View Post
Things change Ben - I was actually considering a 2 seat car, so practicality wasn't a 'must' for this car purchase.

Those 330CI BMW's are great cars, but not my cup-o'-tea. I want something new, with a warranty that I personally want to own. If you think back, two years ago I test drove a WRX, a LGT and a RX-8...and bought the WRX. The RX-8 isn't a flavor of the month car for me - it's something I've wanted to own at some point in my life, and the opportunity is right for me at this time.

Thanks Bill. I'll consider starting a 2008 Autocross Blog thread then. I will be going to Topeka for Nationals as I'll have a co-driver to split costs.
Blah blah blah blah, SVXist!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Blah blah blah blah, SVXist!!!
LOL! I'm definitely an SVXist for life. I guess I'll always have a passion for weird & quirky cars.

I'm definitely getting excited about the RX-8. For a nationally competitive set-up all you need to add are an alignment, konis, 2nd set of wheels and 245/35/18 V710's. The stock swaybars from the factory are already super stiff.

Here's a pic of WDCR member (Clyde of Team WTF?!) with his former '05 RX-8 that only had konis and V710's at the time - notice the inside wheel lift.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-19-2007, 12:53 PM

Thumbs up

Got dicked around by a Mazda dealership in Richmond, VA for 6hrs on Saturday on my trade-in value and interest rate. Ended up walking out, and going to a Carmax down the street where I got 1K more for my trade.

While there, I checked their database and found a 2006 Galaxy Gray 6spd RX-8 with the sport package (HID's, DSC and fog lamps) as well as a rear spoiler for just 20K and my Credit Union can give me 5.39% on any new/used car 2006+.

Put a deposit down yesterday (yes Carmax is open on Sunday), and she'll arrive on a car transport in 7-14 days!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Got dicked around by a Mazda dealership in Richmond, VA for 6hrs on Saturday on my trade-in value and interest rate. Ended up walking out, and going to a Carmax down the street where I got 1K more for my trade.

While there, I checked their database and found a 2006 Galaxy Gray 6spd RX-8 with the sport package (HID's, DSC and fog lamps) as well as a rear spoiler for just 20K and my Credit Union can give me 5.39% on any new/used car 2006+.

Put a deposit down yesterday (yes Carmax is open on Sunday), and she'll arrive on a car transport in 7-14 days!!!
Chike,
How much did you end up having to pay to have it shipped in?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

1. Congrats! You can vacuum my carpets with it anytime you'd like
2. Be sure to check it good for transport damage before you even get it to test drive it. A lot of times they'll put the "sold" cars up front for shipping. They did this with the Scion a friend bought when they first appeared in Cali and he had shipped across the country since it would be another year before we got the dealers. The idiots even insisted on taking off the shipping covers to clean it before shipping.

Best of luck with it! Maybe you can be the first to convert an RX8 to a 350 small block!

Quote:

Old 11-19-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Chike,
How much did you end up having to pay to have it shipped in?
-Bill
Shipping itself was $249.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
1. Congrats! You can vacuum my carpets with it anytime you'd like
2. Be sure to check it good for transport damage before you even get it to test drive it. A lot of times they'll put the "sold" cars up front for shipping. They did this with the Scion a friend bought when they first appeared in Cali and he had shipped across the country since it would be another year before we got the dealers. The idiots even insisted on taking off the shipping covers to clean it before shipping.

Best of luck with it! Maybe you can be the first to convert an RX8 to a 350 small block!
Will do Ben - I'll definitely be sure to check for transport damage. I already told the sales guy that once it arrives I want to give the car a close inspection inside and out. Then will come the test drive, and if it all checks out, I'll hand over the check.

Chike

Old 11-21-2007, 08:55 AM

Thumbs up

The car is in route - it was loaded on a transport yesterday. Should arrive within 2-3 days!!!

Old 11-21-2007, 09:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I autocrossed an '05 RX-8 on Saturday. Having driven both the RX and the 350Z in anger, I'm really surprised the former has an advantage on an autocross course, but the results tell the story.

I liked the RX-8, I just found it tricky to drive well. Then again, I was rusty and only got four runs in it. Since we blew the engine in our STX Eclipse in July, I haven't been out. Normally I go to every local event.

The 350Z I understood right away. The RX-8 drove like a turbo. No matter the engine speed, it seemed to have to build up a head of steam before it'd light up the tires in a surprising fashion. I'm sure I could get used to it; I just didn't have the time over four runs.

And the RX I drove did not have a decent alignment on it, so it suffered terribly from understeer, which was frustrating after its optimistic turn-in.

It's a nice car to drive around town, though. I'm sure it's the more livable between the two.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-21-2007, 10:56 AM

Interesting feedback Pockets - I would agree that the car in many ways drives like a turbo. I took one out for an extended 30 minute test drive last weekend and noted the same. The revs have to be above 5,000rpms to really feel like you're moving - however I've noticed that power builds very linearly. I don't feel the same acceleration 'rush' like in my 2.5L WRX - but I'm still moving. I also like the fact that the RX-8 is a momentum car - so it'll force me to learn how to minimize my braking and maximize the speed I carry through sweepers/transitions.

Isley has mentioned to me that a good alignment is essential to this car handling well in SCCA "stock class" trim. He doesn't divulge his alignment specs, but the duo of Mike Wood/Matt Braun mentioned that they run -1.7 camber front/ -1.9 rear along with as much caster as possible up front and a slight amount of toe out on the front wheels only. In 2007 Matt Braun won the Pro Finale and finished 2nd at Solo Nationals in B-Stock with this alignment.

Last edited by Chiketkd; 11-21-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:49 PM

Thumbs up

Update: My car has arrived!!!

Currently being detailed and will get a VA State inspection. I'll inspect, test drive and pick up on Friday!!!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:

Isn't a Mazda one of them for'rin cars?? At least you could have married 'within the family' like a good redneck!

Good luck in the new class, may a WRX beat your best time!

You can still come to our SVX meets but you have to park in the back yard!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 11-23-2007, 03:02 PM

Earlier today I picked this up from Carmax - 2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 with the performance package and rear spoiler. Only has 12,600 miles on the odometer. Took these on Skyline Drive earlier this afternoon:

Old 11-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,
Nice color! Think of how much nicer it would look if the hood/roof/trunk was black
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-28-2007, 07:59 AM

Thanks Bill. I'm really diggin' the car as well.

My wife is totally in love with this car. I ordered konis for her Sunday night.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:15 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks Bill. I'm really diggin' the car as well.

My wife is totally in love with this car. I ordered konis for her Sunday night.
Congrats Chike! Love that car...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.