Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
It was probably just some drunk college students man. :| Nobody hates canada that I'm aware of.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
It was probably just some drunk college students man. :| Nobody hates canada that I'm aware of.
Just the guy in that National Review front page article...

Actually, the resentment comes from Canada to US much more than the opposite-my mother in law included.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:34 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Some people don't even need an excuse to be idiots. It just comes naturally. Others will use most any excuse. But they're still idiots.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 03-29-2003, 10:19 PM
FifthElement

Well, if you're that nervous, then perhaps you (and other Canadians) should stay out of our great nation.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:52 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I am sorry to hear that some jerk did that. No matter how someone feels, it doesn't give them the right to do that kind of thing. Vandalism is a thoughtless act and can not be justified no matter what the excuse is. I would not let some jerk keep me from attending an event that I wanted to go to. You may want to be a little more careful where you park the car, but I would not let them scare me. I hope you still go and have a great time. Wish I was going to be able to go!

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 03-30-2003, 02:26 AM
Soobarooo

Exclamation

FifthElement wrote:

"Canada would be nothing without the U.S. If Canada does not believe that, they are fooling themselves."
Nothing?
Thats an extremely ignorant statement from an ignorant teenager.

Last edited by Soobarooo; 03-30-2003 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:30 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Sounds to me like

Another idiot that got the government and the people confused...

I'm for the action in Iraq, however I think that it's idiotic to hate the people, in general, of a country that doesn't go along with ours.

I do wish that our government had more support. And I'm disappointed that France, Germany, Russia and even Canada are making life easier for someone like Saddam. Easier? Yes by giving him any benefit of the doubt, they are keeping a madman in power and letting his possible successors think that they will be able to get away with running the country like Stalin did.. I make the analogy to Stalin instead of Hitler because Hitler didn’t act as solitary as Stalin did. And both were great guys, weren’t they?

I watched a documentary on him tonight on the discovery times channel... I am appalled that someone like Stalin could survive and thrive in the 21st century..... He has had his opposition’s wife raped in front of her husband and then killed while the husband looked on. He then had the husband killed after telling him that his children would be next. He killed the Siek (sp) religious leader of Iraq killed by setting his beard on fire and driving nails into his head… This is how he runs his country... he enjoys this information getting out because it puts fear into the hearts and minds of his entire country... They kept drawing parallels to Nazi Germany.... If any one country could see the similarities you would think it would be France....

I give.. I guess we will fight the war by ourselves and deal with world opinion later... when they all want our money.. we'll see how long they hate us....
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 03-30-2003, 06:40 AM

i don't have a problem with Canada...i think there are morons of every race, color and from every country and i refuse to waste my time hating or disliking a society because of a few people.

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:33 AM

Re: Sounds to me like

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi
Another idiot that got the government and the people confused...

I'm for the action in Iraq, however I think that it's idiotic to hate the people, in general, of a country that doesn't go along with ours.

I do wish that our government had more support. And I'm disappointed that France, Germany, Russia and even Canada are making life easier for someone like Saddam. Easier? Yes by giving him any benefit of the doubt, they are keeping a madman in power and letting his possible successors think that they will be able to get away with running the country like Stalin did.. I make the analogy to Stalin instead of Hitler because Hitler didn’t act as solitary as Stalin did. And both were great guys, weren’t they?

I watched a documentary on him tonight on the discovery times channel... I am appalled that someone like Stalin could survive and thrive in the 21st century..... He has had his opposition’s wife raped in front of her husband and then killed while the husband looked on. He then had the husband killed after telling him that his children would be next. He killed the Siek (sp) religious leader of Iraq killed by setting his beard on fire and driving nails into his head… This is how he runs his country... he enjoys this information getting out because it puts fear into the hearts and minds of his entire country... They kept drawing parallels to Nazi Germany.... If any one country could see the similarities you would think it would be France....

I give.. I guess we will fight the war by ourselves and deal with world opinion later... when they all want our money.. we'll see how long they hate us....
Well stated. The only regert is that Saddam and Sons end will probably come much more humanely.

I got a fax from my French shipping company and it synopsizes as the heart of Fracne does not hate the US but that individuals have differing opinions. OOH yeah. as if that will bring me back to France to use their company.

What France and Germany and their lapdog Belgium miss is the PROFITS from selling Baghdad missle fuel, German Nazi bunkers and who knows what else.

And Saddams greatest ally is the US MEDIA. I see more qoutes from Iraqui ministers than from OUR military-"Bush is Hitler, war criminal, etc. Starting to make me ill looking at the self hating tripe.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:44 AM

I am disappointed with the position of Canada and Turkey, but that is the price of a Democracy. I hold no animosity towards their citizens. It is a shame that punks display their "opinions" through vandalising someone's car. A different group in Vermont assaulted a female reservist in uniform a couple of days ago. Another example of what some ignorant Americans can do.

What France, Germany and Russia have done is another matter. Despite their recent experiences with maniacal thugs, they put their own profits ahead of American lives. Since it is profits that they coveted above all, that is where I am going to hit them.
I hear Australian wine is quite good and so is domestic Brie.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Ok, the reason I started this thread was that I found out that I know someone whose relative recently drove down to Minneapolis and while there their car had the windows smashed and a message was spray-painted on the side saying something along the lines of "Get back to Canada".

That was very disgraceful and can be considered a form of terrorism.

I've also heard that there are businesses in the U.S. refusing to ship to people in Canada.

This makes me angry and yet scared because I don't want to have to worry if I'm still going to have a car every morning during the entire Reading trip.

David,
I'm ashamed that this has happened to your friend. But, let's not confuse "vandalism" with "terrorism," nor one person's actions (or a "few" in the case of American businesses) with the opinion of an entire country. I'm sure there are varied opinions in your country, as well as ours, on this issue. Some people are just looking for anyone to strike out at. Since Minnesota is so close to the Canadian border, someone without a brain, just found an "opportunity" to strike out at something they considered foreign.

Don't let your fear of this incident keep you from coming to Reading. Get as far south of the Canadian border as you can, on the first leg of your journey (to avoid brainless antagonists) then, hook up with a fellow SVXer as soon as you can, if you're worried, and they'll make sure of your safe passage.

See you in Reading.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-30-2003, 12:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by FifthElement
Well, if you're that nervous, then perhaps you (and other Canadians) should stay out of our great nation.
This is a totally inappropriate and offensive statement. This is exactly the type of "arrogance" that people of other nations point out. We can be patriotic without arrogance. David did not ask for this type of bluster, and this attitude is simply not needed.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-30-2003, 12:15 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Soobarooo
FifthElement wrote:

"Canada would be nothing without the U.S. If Canada does not believe that, they are fooling themselves."
Nothing?
Thats an extremely ignorant statement from an ignorant teenager.

I agree, Soobarooo, with one caveat: Teenager or otherwise, this is a foolish statement. Let's not get into a border riot over the "verbal vandalism" of a few. David asked a question in good faith and THIS is what he gets. I'm ashamed.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 03-30-2003 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:11 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
My 2 cents....

We have a 3000 mile UNDEFENDED border with our Canadian friends. No other two countries can boast of that.

They would be NOTHING without us? Really? Canada and NO Other Country has any self-worth without our guiding light huh? Sounds like some edict from Imperial Rome. Canadians don't feel like "nothings" I promise you. They DO have had a hard time keeping a cultural identity, being so close to our overpowering cultural roar. How would YOU feel tucked up next to a 7ft tall 600 lb wrestler?

<Well, if you're that nervous, then perhaps you (and other Canadians) should stay out of our great nation>

I've got news for you. When peace loving people from democratic nations begin to feel nervous visiting our country....not from fear of muggings or murder, but assaults because of their license plates.....then we are on the road to cashing in our "great nation" status, and we need to pause and take stock.

I am more likely to conclude that both the quote listed above, AND those who broke the car windows, are from the same wellspring. Those with a sense of history know what I am talking about....Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 03-30-2003 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
I like Canada. But go there only in summer. They gave us the Natinal Hockey League. I like ice hockey. They have terrific beer too. eh. Also they were screwed financially the most by NAFTA.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!