How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-14-2003, 11:48 AM
H6'er

Inner tie rod ends.........

Will be tackling these while both rear hubs are out getting new bearings pressed in.

Anyone source a kit that includes the boots?

Boots are almost as expensive as joints at subaruparts.com but still boots and joints together are cheaper than the joint alone at NAPA/BeckArnley.

Can old boots usually be saved?

Have factory manuals....any shortcuts?

Thanks!

Mark
(Who for the first time in YEARS is one weeked of projects away from not having anything wrong with his car )
Old 02-14-2003, 12:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
Just had em done on my car along with end-links and alignment.

-mike
Old 02-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I did those awhile ago.
It was difficult getting a large open end wrench to fit the flats on the rod end. 2" wrench? Not much room to turn it in there also. I am always concerned about twisting the rack when removing the ends. I think that can load up the pinion if one is not careful. Its the only thing that prevents the rack from turning. I used a pair of vise grips and some copper with rubber under it help hold the rack.

I used a light bulb to heat up the boot. This lets it slide over the large end easier.

I did mine 2 years ago and no problems. You know just a small amount of play down there in the tie rod is not good.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:00 PM
Superbeast

That brings up this question. When I bought my SVX 3years ago, I had an inner tierod changed under warranty and they changed the boot too. That weekend I was parking at the movies and heard a noise in the front wheels that sounded like they forgot to tighen something. I put it on the lift the next day and couldn't find anything loose. So I turned the wheels all the way to one side then all the way to the other and it made the noise. Turns out it was the rack boot, it seemed to be made out of too hard a material and would snap and pop under full extention and compression. I lived with it for awile and then I had to replace the other inner tierod so I got 2 new boots also. They where made out of the same material and now both of them make noise and they cost $40 apeace. I'v lived with it but it is annoying eveytime you make a sharp turn, usually in parking lots, it snaps and pops. Has anyone else had this problem?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 02-14-2003, 09:19 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I got the OEM boots and I have had no problems. Are the boots attached at both ends with wire?
Old 02-15-2003, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
So I turned the wheels all the way to one side then all the way to the other and it made the noise. Turns out it was the rack boot, it seemed to be made out of too hard a material and would snap and pop under full extention and compression. I lived with it for awile and then I had to replace the other inner tierod so I got 2 new boots also. They where made out of the same material and now both of them make noise and they cost $40 apeace. I'v lived with it but it is annoying eveytime you make a sharp turn, usually in parking lots, it snaps and pops. Has anyone else had this problem?
Yes, I have that problem with mine now. The boot material for the racks has changed from a rubber or thermoplastic rubber to another material, most likely a higher durometer (ie, harder, less flexible) thermoplastic elastomer based on polyester. These materials are cheaper to produce parts from however, they make much more noise.

Iwas told by my dealership that I'd havce to live with it. SOA told me to spray them with lubricant and that they'd soften up over time, too which I laughed and asked if the rep had a background in polymer chemistry. He didn't.

Todd
Old 02-16-2003, 10:51 AM
TonyShaleUK

Interested in this thread. I had a secondhand rack swapped into my car last year because of the inners being worn. When I checked the locking of the inners to the rack, they were peened over, so I couldn't do anything with it in the car. Has anyone managed to overcome this with the rack in the car?
Old 02-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Superbeast

Altho I haven't had to do the ones in an SVX I have done many other cars, and alot come that way from the factory. You just have to turn it off, it will come off.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!