Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Network Design Administrator

Re: Subaru BRZ Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-UK View Post
Came across this:

http://mippin.com/mip/pct.jsp?p=367955087_127

Subaru BRZ Coupe named
Subaru has named its take on the Toyota FT-86 Coupe the BRZ, and confirmed it for a Frankfurt debut
Subau BRZ
By Jack Rix
23rd August 2011

Subaru has confirmed that a 'technology concept' of its 2+2 coupe – co-developed with the Toyota FT-86 – will debut at Frankfurt. And the firm has revealed that the production car will be called BRZ.

The letters BRZ stand for Boxer engine, Rear-wheel drive and Zenith - which confirms serveral facts. Firstly that, just like the Toyota FT-86, it will be rear-wheel drive not four-wheel drive and secondly it will feature a Boxer engine under the bonnet.

There are no precise engine details at the moment, but it's expected to use the same 200bhp 2.0-litre four-cylinder powerplant as the Toyota FT-86, which shoud mean a 0-62mph time of around seven seconds and a top speed of 140mph. Higher performance versions are expected further down the line.

The technology concept in Frankfurt will be called the Subaru BRZ Prologue - Boxer Sports Car Architecture II. The II refers to the fact that a wire frame model and the image shown here were already revealed at the Geneva show earlier this year.

Subaru claims production is sheduled to begin in Spring 2012, just a few months after its Toyota stablemate is slated to hit showrooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Threads merged.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Subaru BRZ Coupe Announced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
This is also an interesting solution:

Porsche Cayenne. I guess it would introduce some torque steer, especially if it's not at least a bit rear-biased.
That's basically identical to the Nissan RB26 system, the Chrysler 300 AWD, and probably a few others. The front diff is integral to the oil pan and driven by a seperate driveshaft to essentially allow a RWD transmission to be adapted to AWD. It's not that well suited to a boxer engine though, with the flat cylinder heads and downward facing manifolds. And with how short an H4 is, the diff would occupy the entire oil pan and they'd need to find somewhere else to put the oil.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Stupid model name.

This car was exciting 2 years ago. :/

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Hater

Re: Stupid model name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
This car was exciting 2 years ago. :/
yup. <yawn>

it seems like the only people excited about it now are parking lot cone racers and college girls.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I just read about the Mugen CR-Z, supercharged hybrid, 197hp, 50mpg.

What does the BRZ have over that aside from RWD?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Stupid model name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
yup. <yawn>

it seems like the only people excited about it now are parking lot cone racers and college girls.
So, Alan, which one are you?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 08-26-2011, 09:40 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

You know if it is affordabble and quick id buy it even though its not awd...i like the crz though too so if it isnt any better or cheaper than it...i would just go with the crz even though im not a big fan of Honda...does anyone know is it gonna have 4 seats or did I just miss that part lol

Cus if it has 4 seats I would buy it over the crz

Or even the fiesta! When they come out with SVT version

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 08-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

The excitement won't start until they finally show us what it is going to look like.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-26-2011, 09:48 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
The excitement won't start until they finally show us what it is going to look like.
Agreed! Deff

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 08-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi View Post
You know if it is affordabble and quick id buy it even though its not awd...i like the crz though too so if it isnt any better or cheaper than it...i would just go with the crz even though im not a big fan of Honda...does anyone know is it gonna have 4 seats or did I just miss that part lol

Cus if it has 4 seats I would buy it over the crz

Or even the fiesta! When they come out with SVT version
Yup, it's quoted as being a "2+2", which means four seats.

Personally I think this kind of car is exactly what the auto industry needs. There's a significant dearth of fun, affordable and good looking cars... and while we don't yet know the details of what the Subaru is going to look like we can make a pretty educated guess from the other cars built on the same platform.

While I am excited to get my 135i because it is two of those three in my opinion, it isn't affordable. At least to many. It's a small, cute and incredibly fun car to drive but like most cars that fit that profile these days it's ridiculously expensive. My car MSRP's for $49,000 or thereabouts... though I'm personally not paying close to that.

Honestly, I applaud what they're claiming to try to do. My only fear is that it's going to end up being either underpowered for its weight (a common problem with Subarus), or stupidly expensive compared to similar cars in its class.

Still, I have high hopes; rear wheel drive is perfectly usable in most instances with a good set of snow tires... and you can pick up a set of snow tires already mounted on the rims for less than a grand. As for switching the wheels... when I had my BMW 330i I could switch my winter wheels on in less than an hour with just a floor jack and a tire tool. If I used my air tools I could do it even quicker.

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:21 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_svx View Post
Personally I think this kind of car is exactly what the auto industry needs. There's a significant dearth of fun, affordable and good looking cars...
^This. Even if you don't like this specific car, a new, fun, sporty car is a good thing for the industry. Especially at a time when the big Japanese car companies are killing off their sports cars one after the other. s2k, now the rx8. Toyota hasn't had a sports car in forever. That leaves us with the Z, miata, and a bunch of pre-riced-out sedans and overpowered, underhandling FWD econoboxes...

Here's hoping it sells well enough that others follow suit and we get some competition in the market.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
...some competition in the market.
Well, given that there is a market. The cars in this segment can be some neat lil' scooters, but if nobody's buying then who cares? Making cars that don't sell is a poor business plan, and getting out before the slump hits and the lots are full is a pretty good idea. If the S2000 and RX8 were pillars for their marques, it's not likely that they'd be disappearing, yes?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Well, given that there is a market. The cars in this segment can be some neat lil' scooters, but if nobody's buying then who cares? Making cars that don't sell is a poor business plan, and getting out before the slump hits and the lots are full is a pretty good idea. If the S2000 and RX8 were pillars for their marques, it's not likely that they'd be disappearing, yes?
Yes, that's true. I think one of the problems here is that the attitude toward cars has changed to near apathy. It causes people to drive like it's a chore and not pay attention, and also to not want to know anything about them (easy fixes/maintenance, etc). And to buy s****y cars just because they get good gas mileage. The lack of fun cars is more a symptom of that attitude than anything. I mean, not everyone needs to be an enthusiast type either, but people should still know how to change a damn tire and they should still want to drive a car that's enjoyable to drive. Whatever that means to them.

Perhaps those two cars aren't the best example. They were both out for a long time. That they didn't get replaced is what worries me.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

The electrics and the hybrids may have a big influence on what and how we drive. The combination of speed and handling AND/OR great mileage can be handled by the same car; just flip a switch.

Fiskar Karmas have already been produced and on the street, with Leonardo DiCaprio getting the first one, followed by Colin Powell and Al Gore.

Story, photos and video HERE

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/13/f...in-powell-and/

Convertible versions are already in production

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/02/25...ble-for-order/

They will also be producing a lower-cost version in both body styles in Delaware. This is "Project Nina"

Just as LEDs will eventually replace the incandescent bulb and lighting as we know it, Cars like these, which can offer style, performance and efficiency in the same package will revolutionize our buying decisions.

/

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 08-27-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:10 PM

Registered SVX

So uhh, I just learned that 'buraz" in arabic means sh*t. So TRD (turd) and BRZ kinda go together lol.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: