SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
So I'm probably going to defect. Again... (LONG)

I know... this is what the third time I've posted something like this? Maybe fourth? Ah well... I just wanted everyone on the club site to know where I am and what I'm doing 'cos I'm like that

So you know I got a 96 earlier this year. While I'm really enjoying it, there's something that I've realized. BMW have spoiled me. There's something about the driving dynamics of those albeit overpriced compact cars that I just can't seem to beat. The SVX I still maintain is one of the best GT's out there, there just seems to be no way it can compete when it comes to carving up twisty roads. It's damned fine in the corners, but there's just the nose-heavy understeer that gets to me at the limits... limits that seem to have risen dramatically in the couple of years between my last two SVXi.

This doesn't mean I'm getting rid of Saffron (my 96 LSi) today. But it does mean that I'll be moving on again sooner rather than later.

This week I signed the PO on a 2012 BMW 135i, scheduled for European Delivery on October 7th. For those unfamiliar with the program, it's one where you pick up your car in Munich and drive it in Europe for up to two weeks before they ship the car back to you... and what's really cool is that you save a lot of money doing it. I'm basically getting my car for about 88% of US MSRP after all's said and done (I can negotiate like a mofo ) and I get to drive my car around Bavaria and maybe up into the Alps (weather allowing).

Now, had it not been for the fact that I was going to Munich anyway on vacation for 10 days I might've held off on doing this for a while. But the timing seemed right, and when I test drove a 135i it felt like everything I wanted from a BMW and nothing more... smaller than a 3 series, tossable as hell and accelerates like someone set its bum on fire. So I decided that I'd just combine the already planned vacation with a Euro Delivery and get a fun little daily driver.

So where does that leave Saffron? Well, I've got some interest in at least one person buying the car from me when I pick up my 135i stateside (probably around late November). This may or may not go through... he's been a little quiet since we conversed by email last week. Still, I'm in no rush to sell her because I do need transportation until I pick up the car (Performance Center Delivery... for those in the know)... but even once I do I am still up in the air about what to do.

Saffron is a beautiful car. The interior is almost flawless, the modifications made to her by the previous owner were tasteful and awesome (Infinity speakers all around, Kenwood Nav/Head unit), and the exterior while suffering some paint fade has nary a rust spot. So there's my dilemma; a part of me wants to keep her, but honestly I'm not sure I can. "Garage Rot" will set in quickly if she sits, I think... she begs to be driven. But between my upcoming Bimmer and the Yamaha FJR1300 I ride when it's not so freakin' hot in St. Louis I won't have time for my lovely red SVX.

So anyway... after all this rambling... thoughts everyone? In a way I almost hate to leave the SVX owning fold again so quickly. It's an awesome group of people wrapped around an awesome vehicle. Plus, this will definitely be "it"; the last SVX I'll ever own. More than likely. Almost 15 years after buying my first SVX and publishing this article (which Halistan credits with making him buy his SVX and convincing Cozykat she wanted one too) I think I may be about to "hang up my spurs" on this car for good. But to be honest, there's a part of me that accepts that I'm almost forced to get rid of Saffron because if I don't she'll just rot and fade away. I can't accept that; the SVX in general has been too good to me.

Yeah... anyone anything to post?

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Network Design Administrator

Re: So I'm probably going to defect. Again... (LONG)

Thanks for keeping my employer in business.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:45 PM

Registered SVX

Good luck with the change, I know you will enjoy the BMW I have never driven the 1 series but my brother had a 330ci and it was a blast to drive and comfort oh wow did that car know how to spoil you.
Surprising though I think many of the comforts of the svx, in 1992 were precursers to the comforts in the bmw my brother had, which was a 02.

Things like the rain sensing wipers, the speed sensing wipers on the svx. the climate control. And possibly other things.
Granted ten years gave several refinements to all of those things I wish the svx had not been discontinued.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_svx View Post
I know... this is what the third time I've posted something like this? Maybe fourth? Ah well... I just wanted everyone on the club site to know where I am and what I'm doing 'cos I'm like that

So you know I got a 96 earlier this year. While I'm really enjoying it, there's something that I've realized. BMW have spoiled me. There's something about the driving dynamics of those albeit overpriced compact cars that I just can't seem to beat. The SVX I still maintain is one of the best GT's out there, there just seems to be no way it can compete when it comes to carving up twisty roads. It's damned fine in the corners, but there's just the nose-heavy understeer that gets to me at the limits... limits that seem to have risen dramatically in the couple of years between my last two SVXi.

This doesn't mean I'm getting rid of Saffron (my 96 LSi) today. But it does mean that I'll be moving on again sooner rather than later.

This week I signed the PO on a 2012 BMW 135i, scheduled for European Delivery on October 7th. For those unfamiliar with the program, it's one where you pick up your car in Munich and drive it in Europe for up to two weeks before they ship the car back to you... and what's really cool is that you save a lot of money doing it. I'm basically getting my car for about 88% of US MSRP after all's said and done (I can negotiate like a mofo ) and I get to drive my car around Bavaria and maybe up into the Alps (weather allowing).

Now, had it not been for the fact that I was going to Munich anyway on vacation for 10 days I might've held off on doing this for a while. But the timing seemed right, and when I test drove a 135i it felt like everything I wanted from a BMW and nothing more... smaller than a 3 series, tossable as hell and accelerates like someone set its bum on fire. So I decided that I'd just combine the already planned vacation with a Euro Delivery and get a fun little daily driver.

So where does that leave Saffron? Well, I've got some interest in at least one person buying the car from me when I pick up my 135i stateside (probably around late November). This may or may not go through... he's been a little quiet since we conversed by email last week. Still, I'm in no rush to sell her because I do need transportation until I pick up the car (Performance Center Delivery... for those in the know)... but even once I do I am still up in the air about what to do.

Saffron is a beautiful car. The interior is almost flawless, the modifications made to her by the previous owner were tasteful and awesome (Infinity speakers all around, Kenwood Nav/Head unit), and the exterior while suffering some paint fade has nary a rust spot. So there's my dilemma; a part of me wants to keep her, but honestly I'm not sure I can. "Garage Rot" will set in quickly if she sits, I think... she begs to be driven. But between my upcoming Bimmer and the Yamaha FJR1300 I ride when it's not so freakin' hot in St. Louis I won't have time for my lovely red SVX.

So anyway... after all this rambling... thoughts everyone? In a way I almost hate to leave the SVX owning fold again so quickly. It's an awesome group of people wrapped around an awesome vehicle. Plus, this will definitely be "it"; the last SVX I'll ever own. More than likely. Almost 15 years after buying my first SVX and publishing this article (which Halistan credits with making him buy his SVX and convincing Cozykat she wanted one too) I think I may be about to "hang up my spurs" on this car for good. But to be honest, there's a part of me that accepts that I'm almost forced to get rid of Saffron because if I don't she'll just rot and fade away. I can't accept that; the SVX in general has been too good to me.

Yeah... anyone anything to post?

Good luck with the BMW for they make great products but keep the SVX for winter, rain and when you need an all wheel drive vehicle.

Ray
Old 07-28-2011, 02:59 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
Thanks for keeping my employer in business.
That's right! Hey, when I do the PCD we should meet up and have dinner/beer

My Rides:

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:02 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvalleyray View Post
Good luck with the BMW for they make great products but keep the SVX for winter, rain and when you need an all wheel drive vehicle.

Ray
I would... but it's not that practical for me. I really don't have room. There are already two motorcycles and my SVX in my two-car garage... my girlfriend has to park her Jaguar X-Type in the driveway. I would have nowhere to keep it, and my fear is that I would almost never drive it.

Simply put; we don't get enough snow in St. Louis typically to make AWD a necessity. A nicety, yes... but I've discovered over my last two cars (both BMW's; a 2001 330i and a 2004 545i) that a good set of snow tires make these cars more than capable of handling all but the worst days. And on the worst days I have the luxury of working from home or bumming a ride from my girlfriend (unless her X-Type gets stranded... which only happened one day this year). As much as I hate to think about it, the SVX will become entirely superfluous and would never get driven. I would hate to see her just rot away in my driveway 'cos the Bimmer's going in the garage

My Rides:

Old 07-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Lightbulb Re: So I'm probably going to defect. Again... (LONG)

As much as I hate to think about it, the SVX will become entirely superfluous and would never get driven. I would hate to see her just rot away in my driveway 'cos the Bimmer's going in the garage :

I faced a similar situation regarding "Where am I gonna' put all these cars?" My SVX became the proverbial garage princess 5 years ago after I found that the 240SX worked very well as a beater AND as the autocross fantasy. The two cars shared garage space, & the Dodge van sat in the rain & snow (but so what?...it's a freakin' Mopar!) When I moved, the SX was the odd man out; sold it: & I now shared a garageless property with my GF's Olds Alero. But I then HAD TO HAVE a Miata. Bought one. I still don't drive the SVX much....barely add 1000 miles a year....don't really need it. But....I WANT IT! And, I needed rain/snow/robin poop shelter for both babies. So, for 2 grand I had 3 Mexican kids throw up an aluminum 2 car carport on the property. It looks good (your property owner's ass'n may beg to differ), & does the job, except for the pollen. The SVX won't really rot, as long as you start it every couple of weeks.

From your passionate prior posted postulations (Phew!) it seems you may have the disease far worse than you imagine....and YOU LIKE IT.
It's a WORK OF ART. Don't forget that.

Ron (Honey, I think the Jag would look simply GRAND beneath our shiny new carport).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert View Post
As much as I hate to think about it, the SVX will become entirely superfluous and would never get driven. I would hate to see her just rot away in my driveway 'cos the Bimmer's going in the garage :

I faced a similar situation regarding "Where am I gonna' put all these cars?" My SVX became the proverbial garage princess 5 years ago after I found that the 240SX worked very well as a beater AND as the autocross fantasy. The two cars shared garage space, & the Dodge van sat in the rain & snow (but so what?...it's a freakin' FIAT!) When I moved, the SX was the odd man out; sold it: & I now shared a garageless property with my GF's Olds Alero. But I then HAD TO HAVE a Miata. Bought one. I still don't drive the SVX much....barely add 1000 miles a year....don't really need it. But....I WANT IT! And, I needed rain/snow/robin poop shelter for both babies. So, for 2 grand I had 3 Mexican kids throw up an aluminum 2 car carport on the property. It looks good (your property owner's ass'n may beg to differ), & does the job, except for the pollen. The SVX won't really rot, as long as you start it every couple of weeks.

From your passionate prior posted postulations (Phew!) it seems you may have the disease far worse than you imagine....and YOU LIKE IT.
It's a WORK OF ART. Don't forget that.

Ron (Honey, I think the Jag would look simply GRAND beneath our shiny new carport).
Edited your post Ron, and yes the Jag would look grand beneath thumps shiney new carport but you'll want to keep around those Mexican's to keep it shiney. Jags don't look quite right dirty. Even when they're hauling trailers. Both of mine sit out as the TVR and Honda get the garage. Honestly I don't think the XJR would fit in the garage without taking all my tools out. Have a great trip to pick up the new ride. Wouldn't be my first or even 30th choice but to each his own. Maybe YT will even send you and old pair of Oakley's and a turtle neck sweater.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:48 PM

Couple years ago on my way to READING i stop by BMW to test drive 135. I loved it and was gonna put deposit for one after weekend.Then was the Raffle .......now my tag says RFL SVX . No bimmer for me .....yet, at least not a car( last year bought 2004 Rockster -blast!!!).
I m pretty sure that i will go YT way next year.

My Locker

Bart
Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_svx View Post
That's right! Hey, when I do the PCD we should meet up and have dinner/beer
Let me know when you are in Spartanburg and I'm in. My office is accross the street from the Performance Center.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX

congrats and best of luck !!

you wont want to keep the bmw stock for long, those tt 3.0 engines are pretty healthy,
Old 07-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Hater

i really want to like the 135, but it looks like a pregnant cat.

i'm sure they are fun to drive, though.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

To me, it sounds like you want us to convince you to keep the SVX. In your heart you don't really want to let it go.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:48 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Maybe YT will even send you and old pair of Oakley's and a turtle neck sweater.
Already got a turtle neck sweater or two... I am a recovering Apple user after all. The Oakley's though... well, it is a 135i, not a 335i, so I am not sure I'm quite in that financial category yet? Maybe a pair of fauxkleys would work.

My Rides:

Old 07-29-2011, 03:49 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
Let me know when you are in Spartanburg and I'm in. My office is accross the street from the Performance Center.
You got it, Chris

My Rides: