Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Moving Cross Country

With my father being terminally ill, I am moving cross country to spend the time he has left with him. I would be moving from Fayetteville NC to Keizer Oregon. The goal would be drive the SVX (which some will say is probably not the best of ideas). I feel a bit confident in my SVX because I have put work into it but still am a bit worried about the drive. If anyone has an suggestions about what to do to prepare for the drive I'd appreciate it.

Here is a link to my route

If anyone has any suggestions about places to see or places to skip along the drive I'd like to hear it. Also if you'd like to meet along the way I'd be willing to do that also

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 09-16-2010, 11:27 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Re: Moving Cross Country

Sorry to read about your dad. Can't check your route on the iPod touch, but if you're driving through Colorado, you have a place to crash.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 09-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelfy View Post
Sorry to read about your dad. Can't check your route on the iPod touch, but if you're driving through Colorado, you have a place to crash.
Thanks Shelfy. I might be going through Colorado as I have had some people say to avoid Wyoming as it is so boring. Route is not decided yet but mainly looking for input

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 09-16-2010, 11:53 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX

Southern Wyoming (I-80) is where there is a break in the Rockies and it is flat and extremely windy. I-70 is a beautiful drive and I am minutes from the interstate.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 09-17-2010, 04:33 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Sorry to hear, Nate. Are you moving out there permanently? The other option would be shipping, but if you're going to make the trip it's worth the experience to drive cross country if you have the time.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 09-17-2010, 05:02 AM

Condolences for the news about your dad, and good for you for going to be with him.

If your car has no known issues, just check the condition of belts/hoses/fluids, load some tools and spares and usual road trip gear, and hit the highway. Good luck.

dcb
Old 09-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Sorry to hear about your dad.....
You're passing about an hour from me in KY, I could put you up for a night if that worked out for you.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Sorry to hear about your father Nate, you are doing the right thing moving back. Hope you have a safe and trouble free drive.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 09-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I add my condolences.

I also second the comment about fluids and hoses. Basically, you want to make sure nothing is low, leaking or burnt. The only other concern might be any issue with the water pump. If not, you should be fine. Also check the brakes to make sure they have enough left on them.

How old is your dad? I lost my father at 54 from lung cancer. It was devastating at the time as I was still pretty young. Since then, I have grown to realize that death is a part of life. The only way to never die is to never live. You dad lived enough to have you and share at least this much of your life with you. That's pretty good right there. Good luck.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Oh yeah, and make sure you take regular breaks for yourself and the car.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 09-17-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
With my father being terminally ill, I am moving cross country to spend the time he has left with him. I would be moving from Fayetteville NC to Keizer Oregon. The goal would be drive the SVX (which some will say is probably not the best of ideas). I feel a bit confident in my SVX because I have put work into it but still am a bit worried about the drive. If anyone has an suggestions about what to do to prepare for the drive I'd appreciate it.

Here is a link to my route

If anyone has any suggestions about places to see or places to skip along the drive I'd like to hear it. Also if you'd like to meet along the way I'd be willing to do that also
Sorry to hear about you Father, good decision to go be with him.

Regarding your trip, what time of year will you be do this drive? The Grand Canyon is pretty special and the weather will be changing soon meaning you could hit some early season snow storms. I have driven across the country eighteen times, I think, and whichever way you go there is a lot to see.

If you do come thru Salt Lake City, I have a spare guest room for you.

Ray
Old 09-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Sorry to hear man. Gonna miss having you around (not that you are close but you seem to get everywhere that I am at times)

Good luck with the trip and be safe
Old 09-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Sorry to hear, Nate. Are you moving out there permanently? The other option would be shipping, but if you're going to make the trip it's worth the experience to drive cross country if you have the time.
Thanks Tim, and it would be a permanent move due to actions of certain family members and situations caused because of them. But I really like the west coast so that's a plus and less then an hour from Portland. I have been out here for going on two weeks with him and have already withdrawn from school so I can start to apply and get residency here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I add my condolences.

I also second the comment about fluids and hoses. Basically, you want to make sure nothing is low, leaking or burnt. The only other concern might be any issue with the water pump. If not, you should be fine. Also check the brakes to make sure they have enough left on them.

How old is your dad? I lost my father at 54 from lung cancer. It was devastating at the time as I was still pretty young. Since then, I have grown to realize that death is a part of life. The only way to never die is to never live. You dad lived enough to have you and share at least this much of your life with you. That's pretty good right there. Good luck.
He is 47 and has leukemia. He has put a very good fight but unfortunately the leukemia has come out of remission for a second time and are unable to due any chemo or anything at this point for it.

as far as the car goes I do not have any know issues. The water pump / timing belt etc. Were changed less then 12k miles ago. The transmission has less then 4k miles on it and she leaks no fluids. The brakes should still have some life left on them as they were replaced less than 20k miles and I have done a lot of highway driving. I had no issues out her driving to the Dragon back in the Tennessee/ North Carolina mountains. But you never know and luckily I have AAA and a backup fund for any emergency issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvalleyray View Post
Sorry to hear about you Father, good decision to go be with him.

Regarding your trip, what time of year will you be do this drive? The Grand Canyon is pretty special and the weather will be changing soon meaning you could hit some early season snow storms. I have driven across the country eighteen times, I think, and whichever way you go there is a lot to see.

If you do come thru Salt Lake City, I have a spare guest room for you.

Ray
I would be leaving here pretty sure either late September or early October. I know the weather will be changing pretty soon so I want to try and beat that. I am not sure where I will be at what times as I would just be driving until I am tired. I will probably be skipping Wyoming as some people have advised me its really really boring and long.

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 09-17-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Lightbulb Re: Moving Cross Country

Firstly, my condolescences regarding your dad. I'm sure he wants you to have an eventful trip, so you'll have lots to talk about.

I took a coast-to-coast (Baltimore to Washington state) & back trip 2 years ago in a '96 Caravan (notorious for paper trannies) with 205K on it at the start. No problems whatsoever.

Depending on your interests, you MAY want to consider jogging northward on I-74, to I-65, (other routes available) & pick up I-90 (vs. using I-80) through S. Dakota, a state with a number of unusual attractions (Devil's Tower, the Corn Palace in Mitchell, Mt. Rushmore, the Crazy Horse monument etc.), & don't miss the Pioneer car museum in Murdo; really cool. You can dip down to Yellowstone in Northern Wyoming if the wheel bearings are still turning freely. Also don't forget the SVX storage facility in Burlington, WA. Proprietor E. Steele will provide B & B services, provided you bring wine.

Have a safe trip & a comforting time with dad.

Best wishes, Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:14 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

Very sorry for your dad, but the time you spend with each other will be good for both of you.

I see you are planning on heading through Lincoln, NE. If you are interested in heading slightly north to Omaha I have a place you can stay. Granted it is a dorm, but you would have your own room.

Again, you have my condolences for your dad, and best of luck with your trip.

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: