Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-28-2009, 11:19 AM

Challenge to the Forum Members

I am in a grumpy mood today and irritated. I have a challenge to the members of the forum. I enjoy coming here and learning about the SVX and seeing what people have done. There are a few members that contribute their time and money to giving options for performance options and/ or updating and upgrading the looks and personalization of these cars.

My challenge to you guys is to find something anything that you want to see changed or upgraded from the >$100 mod lists or elsewhere, and try to find something new to add for yourselves or improve on existing mods. If you want to spend more great!

I also appreciate those with photoshop experience trying to show potential ideas they have. I hope they are deterred by those that say something is to Ricey or their ideas just aren't popular.

Check the MOD's section and see what people have tried. Some of the best contributions could be done with research and maybe spending a little cash to try and verify something new.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Re: Challenge to the Forum Members

Well said. I for one appreciate the efforts of this group to keep the dwindling number of this great automobile together, let alone come up with new and interesting wrinkles. It distresses me to see those individuals that think they have all the possible answers put down any effort by other members to explore the possibilities. As my Mom always said, "If you can't say something nice.....".

Yeah, I know. This is the Internet. So what.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 12-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I have two ideas I've been selfishly holding on to I could share, but they ain't cheap. I'm doing one myself for sure, whenever I get it done I'll gladly post up pics and where the work was performed, but it will be awhile since I'd rather get my engine back together and running before I start with the "bling bling"

Don't know probably isn't a real good break through idea and probably a waste of money, but I'm fairly certain I can have SVX length drive shafts made in aluminum or carbon fiber. Its kind of a mod for those SVXers that have done everything else haha
Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I originally wanted to go all out but time, money, and patience are in short supply. So there are alot of "little" things I wanted to do that just won't get done at this time. One of those was doing a full conversion for -AN flare fittings & adapters and then order the braided hoses in the correct length and with the right ends on them i.e. 90 elbow, 45 degree etc. I think power steering would or could be changed to these fairly easy. Also transmission fluid for the cooler or filter. I would like to have fittings on the ends of the injector fuel rails. There are some pretty decent options with this set up.
How about a step by step how to (and where and how much material and $$) would be needed to do a full silicone tubing and hose swap on the engine.

Dress bolt kit, change out older rusted bolts for something like black anodized allen head bolts and screws.

Custom Radiator breather tank/ reservoir for the SVX, idea example http://www.meganracing.com/products/...=741&catid=129

Or a digital rear view mirror, or antenna upgrade and relocation (shark fin maybe?)

There are alot of little things out there that can be done or tried since there are people here with parts vehicles and people who may be getting ready to junk a vehicle can do things to the car that most of us would be afraid to attempt. Anyway just some thoughts....
Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I was pondering homegrown aluminum trailing arms. There is a lot of weight to be dropped using aluminum suspension components.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 12-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I like the enthusiasm... I have been trying to do this for years. i have come up with numerous different things that can be done. personally I am sick and tired of busting my ass and spending my money on things people will just rip off of you anyway... that's just me though

Tom
Old 12-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I like the enthusiasm... I have been trying to do this for years. i have come up with numerous different things that can be done. personally I am sick and tired of busting my ass and spending my money on things people will just rip off of you anyway... that's just me though

Tom
Tom,
Should we start a list, in case anyone asks?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-28-2009, 06:19 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:

Tom
Imitation is the highest form of flattery, unless you mean financially ripped-off.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 12-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Ethics is something that is quietly being overlooked more and more in modern society.

Tom
Old 12-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Ethics is something that is quietly being overlooked more and more in modern society.

Tom
+infinity

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post

Or a digital rear view mirror, or antenna upgrade and relocation (shark fin maybe?)

There are alot of little things out there that can be done or tried since there are people here with parts vehicles and people who may be getting ready to junk a vehicle can do things to the car that most of us would be afraid to attempt. Anyway just some thoughts....
I've been really considering a backup camera on my car. My headunit is already compatable, and my window tent makes it tricky to see out the back at night. My idea is to debadge the rear light bar, and integrate the camera in the center, maybe behind the lense or flush mounted. Long term if I end up doing a manual swap I thought this could be controlled by a toggle switch along with the reverse lights. That way I could use them whenever I needed, or not. That might turn into a pain in the butt, however it's a mute point on my stock automatic.

The shark fin also rates high up my list. My auto antenna sometimes doesn't make it all the way down, and if it finally does die on me I'm going that route. It's already obnoxious because it goes up anytime I power up my stereo it goes up, regardless of input. Someone on here who did body work recently plugged the antenna hole on the trunk and it looks sleek. I wonder what their plans were for radio.

Otherwise I often look at the <$100 mods list and prioritize what I'd like to improve on my old car. I've still yet to install all the bushings I got from Earthworm, but between those and the new swaybars on the market, end links, and your headers there's quite a bit of development going on right now. I'd love to see an outcome to the WRX Brakes thread, but I'm not in the market for any of that right now.

I'm saddened by Tom's leaving the game as much as the next guy because I never got a chance to snag the hood struts, intake, reseal kit, and all the other services he's provided. I'm overdue on my parts payments, and my car is beginning to let me know, so some of these smaller upgrades would be great coming up.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:41 PM

My backup camera is a remot mounted right above the license plate...

Keith
Old 12-29-2009, 10:07 AM

I always liked the idea of the back up camera but I got to ask do you guys still look over your shoulder just to make sure? Or stare at the video lol? I dunno. There are alot of newer cars coming out with the proximity sensors front and rear I think that could be a cool mod too especially for those with lowered cars that don't want to damage their car when pulling up to something.

I like the idea of a set of reverse lights mounted low that would be bright enough to back up and see behind. Something integrated into the rear bumper would be nice. IMO.

I think in order for me to decide on the shark fin I would do it on my legacy first. I get annoyed when a radio no matter how good is still stuck with older tech and degraded antenna recieving set ups. This is really evident when using an HD radio if your incoming signal isn't the best it can switch in and out of the HD (kind of annoying).