Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2009, 08:54 AM

Re: 06-07 WRX 4 pot brakes... FIT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
Has anything new come out of this thread? It looked pretty promising other than some issues with rotor size.
Still trying to get a rotor... i have no idea how to use those rotor guides so if anyone can figure one out post it up!

Caliper fits fine... just finding a rotor is the issue

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 09-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

I have the 06 cat.

I am disappointed. How close does the 'height' need to be?

The only thing I found that was close was part #2650 Vented D:316 H: 56.7 thick:30 center hole: 58 Lug: 5 (unknown pattern)

Part# 2108 looks promising but the height is 59. the svx is 58. How close does this need to be? diam: 328 thick:26

I dont understand the dimentions exactly, so if some one could tell me which dimensions need to be EXACT on, and which ones I have some play room... that would be good. As well as how MUCH play room. I'll then list out the info I have.

I'll remain active on this as long as I'm not the only one trying.

Just tell me exactly what I need to look for.

AKA Diameter range/Height range/Thinkness range/center hole range in mm.
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:07 PM

I started looking up rotor guides as well mostly from wilwood and I swear they give you everything but what you need to figure out fitment. It gave me a headache trying to figure out what it would take. I like the idea of these WRX brakes but I am still going to look at some of the other brake setups and see if I can find maybe a 4 pot front and 2 pot rear set up without having to go to a 13" rotor. I may even end up doing some ebay recycling (buy first and sell if it doesn't fit) once I find something that looks promising. Hopefully you will have some luck or a break through before I do lol.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:22 PM

well if i had some sort of idea of clearances it would be so much easier.

svx is a 57 height... is 56 ok? 58? hell, 55? 59?

300 mm diam is to little... is 320 to much? I really would think these would be easily answered questions for some one who has already looked at these calipers in person.
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:06 PM

why is this thread dead? no replys? seriously? I've been checking every day waiting for an answer so that I could delve into my DBA cat...and nothing. I personally think this thread is extremely exciting.

The problem with other big brake upgrades is the replacement rotors. I believe some one on here bought an SVX with the BBK already installed. Needed to get new rotors and it cost him like $200 each.

Wouldnt it be nice to get a conversion kit that is a big time upgrade and is CHEAP!! and possibly has parts available thru standard auto stores??

Plus, having the SUBARU logo on the caliper is snazzy....

JUST ENLIGHTEN ME AS TO WHAT TO LOOK FOR.

If my svx wasnt 6 hrs away in a garage behind 4 tons of stove pellets I would just do it myself.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:28 PM

really hoping have found what I believe to be a close replacement

used data from Disk Brakes Australia - dba.com.au

Lexus RX 330 looks to be PCD is 114.3 x 5 holes

Part Number: DBA 2702X _____Street Series
Part Type: Street Series Gold (cross-drilled & slotted)
Vehicle Fit: LEXUS -> RX 330 -> 3.3L V6 4WD + FWD (3/03 - on)
Part Details: DBA's street series GOLD slotted and cross-drilled rotors provide maximum cooling with an attractive, aggressive appearance.They are the perfect replacement rotor for the performance conscious street motorist.

(click to enlarge)
Front
Vented disc rotor
Front Disc Diameter Height Thickness Min. Thickness Center Hole Bolt Holes
mm 320 49.3 28 26 62 5
inch 12.6 1.94 1.1 1.02 2.44 5

Part Number: DBA 652 _____Street Series
Part Type: Street Series Standard
Vehicle Fit: SUBARU -> SVX -> SVX (3/92 - 8/97)
Part Details: DBA's street series standard replacement disc rotors are designed and manufactured to perform well under general street driving conditions.

(click to enlarge)
Front
Vented disc rotor
Front Disc Diameter Height Thickness Min. Thickness Center Hole Bolt Holes
mm 301.1 57 28 26 58 5
inch 11.85 2.24 1.1 1.02 2.28 5

hopefully this is close enough to get some sexy calipers - can anyone look into this to confirm they may work?

cheers
bruce
Old 09-23-2009, 07:11 PM

Brakes are not high up on my list since I have pretty much pulled the whole drive train out of the car. I was however looking at the subaru double pot rears and wondering if they could be made to fit with or without a change in rotor.
As far as the rotor measurements it is very possible the two piece set ups could be found to work you just have figure out the size you want and order the right hat for it. I too am following the thread but until everything else is back together I am afraid I won't be able to contribute much.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
Brakes are not high up on my list since I have pretty much pulled the whole drive train out of the car. I was however looking at the subaru double pot rears and wondering if they could be made to fit with or without a change in rotor.
As far as the rotor measurements it is very possible the two piece set ups could be found to work you just have figure out the size you want and order the right hat for it. I too am following the thread but until everything else is back together I am afraid I won't be able to contribute much.
Rears shoudl be easy. Sti Backing plate should bolt right up to the SVX rear hub... Just switch plates and bam... Mounting for an STi rear rotor and caliper.

The fronts on the other hand are not so simple. If wilwood makes a 5x114.3 hat for their bbk's it would be as simple as making new mounting brackets with the right heights.

Its gonna take a little ching to make it happen but it is not impossible. Trouble is, no one will put up the money to do the brakes the right way, rather run around in circles trying to find stock components which will prob cost nearly as much in the long run anyway

I for one have not found a reason to upgrade the brakes. If you change the fluid regularly and use quality rotors and pads they work well enough to lock up 275 hoosiers... More tire than 99.9% of you will ever use. Remember its the tires that make the brakes work.

Tom
Old 09-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post

I for one have not found a reason to upgrade the brakes. If you change the fluid regularly and use quality rotors and pads they work well enough to lock up 275 hoosiers... More tire than 99.9% of you will ever use. Remember its the tires that make the brakes work.

Tom
Truth.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-24-2009, 04:47 AM

I know wilwood and baer brakes make hats that are 5x114.3 what I didn't spend time figuring out was the hat dimensions as far as height etc. but from what I had been reading it didn't seem like it would be to difficult to find the right hat. I think calling them would be the best bet since you can talk to someone who can pull up exactly the dimensions we would need.

Ok Tom you convinced me on the rear brakes so I purchased the set of double pot rears with the subaru logo on them in red (I kinda wish I got the black ones but they weren't available). So these will actually go on a shelf until I am ready to get to the brakes.

If I can find a set of fronts that are also red with subaru logo 4 pot that is not too high in cost I will purchase those for my future upgrade as well.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:03 PM

Re: 06-07 WRX 4 pot brakes... FIT! update for 2 pot rear

Ok I gave in and believe I ordered the correct STi backing plate part from Subaru parts.com hopefully this will allow me to fit up the 2 pot rear calipers. Hopefully this works out. I am also trying to find out if some of the adjustable links and trailing arms for the STi's will fit the rear suspension for upgrades. Anyway I will post when I get around to replacing the backing plate after it arrives.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:30 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I was checking part #s for legacy trailing arms and got the same as svx. I'm going to assume they are the same. Ebay has some nice adjustables from Megan (I think) around $170.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 10-05-2009, 04:18 AM

Yes I was looking at the Megan and Perrin stuff also some of the Agency Power suspension parts. I think the adjustable trailing arms and links would be NICE!
I am sure not everything will work but it sure looks like most of it is capable of fitting.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_paynter View Post
Well I finally took some time yesterday and tried my 4pot brake calipers / pads I had laying around on the SVX.

In short.... they DO fit.

In LONG...

The Caliper bolts on fine. The notch for the rotor needs to be sanded down (width wise) VERY little. (I did it with a piece of 80 grit sand paper) for the rotor to fit width wide. (it fits on without doing this but the rotor will rub on the caliper... you could just do this and drive down the road and it will fix it self but thats a little ghetto)

NOW... The big issue is you NEED to go to a slighly larger rotor (about 1cm bigger in diameter) and there is the proper amount of room on the caliper to allow this bigger rotor. You CAN use ur stock rotor but the pad sticks about 3/4cm over the top of the rotor. If you did use the stock rotors you would have to REMOVE this part of the brake pad as it would hang over as it wears.

If anyone can tell me a slighty larger rotor that fits the SVX hub i will try it out.

Pictures to come when i get home from class

I will also put up the part numbers
You got ghettos in Ontario?????????????
Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 AM

sorry guys i have been busy as hell dealing with other things.

I will give that lexus rotor a try.

I am looking into the 4pot brakes because they are a cheap upgrade (my cost on a new caliper is like $140cnd or something, and I already had them on the shelf).

The route I am going, I will need bigger brakes, does willwood offer 6pots for the SVX?

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback