Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2009, 03:06 AM

Shaved door handles

Does anyone have an SVX with shaved door handles?

Mine is in the shop right now while we do body work on it and there is some scrap sheet metal laying in the corner begging to be a filler panel for the door handles. Installing the solenoids is no big deal, done dozens like it, just a simple pull down style, already figured out a location for it in the door. The only thing I can't seem to figure out a place for it the popper to push the door out after it unlatches, these are required with the style of latch the SVX has (why couldn't everyone just use bear claws like Ford used to, those are great, I can pop them with power door lock solenoids). Usually these are the easiest thing to find a place for, but I can't seem to come up with anything, the pillar design is so different from anything else I have ever done.

So, if anyone has any pictures of one with the door jamb showing the popper, that would be great.

I think it will look great without that ugly door handle interrupting the otherwise sleek body, some cars should have never came with door handles.

Last edited by Elliott; 06-18-2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:56 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: Shaved door handles

Discussed ages ago... It would be nice but not practical in my opinion.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ed+Door&page=2

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:04 AM

I don't care about practicality, if I did, I would have never bought an SVX in the first place, I would have a Toyota Camry. This car will also be advertisement for the shop, so it will really be all about looks. I've done plenty of shaved door handles for customers, some on daily drivers, I'm not worried about it failing. I might work out some form of hidden mechanical override, but I'll definitely have an electrical override solution for a dead battery/remote situation though.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
I don't care about practicality, if I did, I would have never bought an SVX in the first place, I would have a Toyota Camry. This car will also be advertisement for the shop, so it will really be all about looks. I've done plenty of shaved door handles for customers, some on daily drivers, I'm not worried about it failing. I might work out some form of hidden mechanical override, but I'll definitely have an electrical override solution for a dead battery/remote situation though.
The SVX is not practical? Try driving an Audi TT or a Nissan 350z and do the comparison then!

And if you can do the shaved door handles, do it and post details. It might interest some members around here.

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:29 AM

I never meant it as a bad thing, I don't own a "practical" car by most people's definition, I have a 1975 AMC Gremlin as a daily driver. The reason I consider an SVX to not be practical is mostly parts availabily, even my Gremlin is easier to get parts for. I bought it as a $600 project car that was not really drivable, but ran and moved, maybe if it was 1992 and I just bought it brand new, it would be considered practical, but the current question on many people's minds is "Why did you buy that piece of ****?" and "Why are you fixing that piece of ****?".

I find "practical", "normal" and "average" to be highly overrated and boring.

I'm definitely doing the door handles, I'll probably weld up the passenger's side today. I'll work it out as a I go along as I have done many times before. It would have just made it easier if someone has done it already and I didn't have to start from scratch figuring it out.

Last edited by Elliott; 06-18-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:37 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Why don't you before welding anything, just install the kit and record a Vid/YouTube and show us this mod? You can ruin the door later

Old 06-18-2009, 04:49 AM

If I do it that way, I have an excuse to give up. Once I get past the point of no return, I have a little more motivation.

Besides, I need to order the solenoids, remotes and poppers. I already have the metal and I really need to do the final body work on the door very soon, so I have to get it done now if I want it done.

I've done so many of these that I'm not worried, one way or another, I will make it work. My boss has done far more than I have, so if I can't figure it out, he can. He came up with a genius solution for a '64 Falcon we did, most people use cables and pullys or make it attach to the rod for the interior door handle, which makes a horribly uncool noise, he worked out a way to get a straight pull on it, though it was not the easiest to install and it barely cleared the window, it works great. Believe it or not, we do think about noise when doing these installs, a quick *thump* is so much cooler than *clunk* *clank* *bang*.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:35 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
"I don't care about practicality. I'm not worried about it failing. I might work out some form of hidden mechanical override."

If you have a prang, are out to it and need help quickly, you may or may not have the opportunity, to think again.

"I'll definitely have an electrical override solution for a dead battery/remote situation though."

Please advise on this electrical solution. There will be several interested to learn of the intended alternative supply source, even though it may not be practical.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
If you have a prang, are out to it and need help quickly, you may or may not have the opportunity, to think again.
I'm not entirely sure what the hell you just said, but I think you are talking about getting in an accident? Well, I'll still have a regular door handle on the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Please advise on this electrical solution. There will be several interested to learn of the intended alternative supply source, even though it may not be practical.
I've done it on a car before that the owner had a habit of leaving lights on and killing the battery. I ran some wires directly from the solenoid to a plug intended for trailer lights hidden under the car, I made a harness that plugs into it with some simple battery clamps on the end and a button. All they had to do is clamp it to another 12v source and press the button, it doesn't take much, a drill battery will pop a door. The harness was long enough that it could go to another car, since chances are you are going to be jumping the car off anyway, it isn't that big of a deal.

For an example of a mechanical override, take a look at this Roadmaster we did a few weeks ago:

It isn't glaringly obvious, but we moved the door lock cylinder to the bottom of the door, out of the way of the lace work. We attached this to the door latch, so if something goes wrong, all you have to do is turn the key and the door opens. No more effort required than unlocking the door.

Last edited by Elliott; 06-18-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:54 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Can someone photoshop it?

I personally think the SVX with shaved door handles takes away from its original styling. The SVX is not some "pimp-my-ride-balla-lookat-me-im-on-20s" type of vehicle. I just think its wrong for the vehicle. Period.

However, it is your vehicle and you definitely have the right to do as you please.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Can someone photoshop it?
+1 I really can't vision it myself. I'm not passing judgement on it I just can imagine what it would look like.

You know Mike you could do this to your black one since it is getting painted anyhow
Old 06-18-2009, 08:21 AM

You might have a point if the handles were in some way interesting or different, for example the Subaru XT had some bizzare door handles, but they are just about the same as any other door handle from the 90s to present. As far as the original design, they were designed to blend in and not be noticed, since they are flush mounted and body color, so why not make them disappear entirely.

This one has shaved handles, only one I have found so far:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2173825
Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2480.jpg (374.9 KB, 1056 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 06-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Looks geh.... I can't even afford handlez on my car... dzamn
Old 06-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
You might have a point if the handles were in some way interesting or different, for example the Subaru XT had some bizzare door handles, but they are just about the same as any other door handle from the 90s to present. As far as the original design, they were designed to blend in and not be noticed, since they are flush mounted and body color, so why not make them disappear entirely.

This one has shaved handles, only one I have found so far:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2173825
That car certainly looks good to me. I like how it allows the lines of the body to flow nicely. If you want to go through the trouble and expense to take on something like that, I say stop debating it and get started on doing it. Then post us some pictures of the finished project.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007