Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Question Re: smoked lenses? Yay or nay?

Thanks for that, I have some questions though. What do you use to tint them? How difficult is it would it be better to have someone do it for me professionally? How much would it cost?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:19 PM

Re: smoked lenses? Yay or nay?

ive only done it with the spray on tint. its pretty easy and cheap. like 7 dollars a can at the my local muscle car shop (kinda ironic considering all the ricey comments). the only hard part is not getting the tint to run. just remember thin coats oh and make sure you take the lights off the vehicle. if you mess up acetone is great way to undo it. ive heard of people using a fine grit sand paper on the lights to help prevent running ive never done it personally. to keep the back up lights white just use blue painters tape.

good luck
Old 02-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

They are fine IF the car has bright bulbs in it, but at least once a month I see some tool in a Honduh with dark ass lenses and cheap ass APC LED bulbs in it that you CAN NOT SEE in daylight, which is dangerous especially with brake lights.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 02-20-2009, 06:53 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I keep preaching... Just remove the defusers any they look a lot brighter!
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 02-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

plannin on removing the diffusers and possibly replacing with the led lights like in the taillight mod thread, before smoking the lenses so it should be plenty bright
Old 03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

A lot of the owners here are purists. They love the looks of the SVX. This includes myself.

That being said ANY car can be improved with some tasteful mods. I LOVE the look of smoked tails on a black car. (The pic of the black Legacy is effin HOT!)

IMHO though I'd not go with the full clear headlights. That would unbalance the design. The best suggestion I've heard is to do high gloss black reflectors in the front.
Unless you know someone who can smoke the front lenses lightly, like the '89 SVX show car. Which had both smoked headlights, and tails.

Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.

Last edited by crazyhorse; 03-04-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

That's my entire point I don't want to rice out my svx but, I Love the look of the legacy and I think that look on my black svx would look awesome and very clean

Last edited by Johnybeas; 03-04-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Nay. 67890
2001 Audi S8
Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 AM

yay.

if done right and clearcoated.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

looking into vht nightshades, the directions are kind of confusing...

"Clean surface with a window or glass cleaner. Shake can for one minute after the ball in the can begins to rattle. Agitate can well. Shake for one minute after marble is heard. Hold can 12 inches away from the lens. Apply in a crosshatch motion, be sure to spray past the lens so that the corners and ends are evenly covered. Apply subsequent coats approximately 10 minutes apart, usually two or three coats will achieve desired look. VHT NITE SHADES should be dry to the touch in about an hour and completely dry overnight. Do not reinstall until coating is completely dry. Apply VHT NITE SHADES to the outside of the lens cover only. Remove lens cover from the vehicle before applying. VHT NITE SHADES is a transparent coating, apply in smooth, even strokes approximately 3 minutes apart. Apply thin coats until a desired darkness is achieved usually two or three coats is sufficient."

So do you like do one sideways stroke of paint, wait 3 minutes and do another? Then once it's covered wait 10 minutes and start all over....

this sounds very time consuming... it almost seems like it wouldn't go on smoothly if you kept waiting... can someone explain this to me...
Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

When it says "cross hatch pattern" it means go across the lens at an angle one way, then back across the other way. Make a pattern like te diffusers inside the lenses. Wait 3 mins between the cross hatch angles, then 10 mins before starting over. If you go slow, and take your time, then the cross hatches will take 3min from end to end.

+1 to anyone who reccommended removing the lenses. It'll make your life SOOOO much easier.
Current Stable By Age:
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

oh alright this makes sense. I'm gonna have to do it this summer! does anyone know what kind of clear coat to use?? Should I apply it in the same fashion??
Old 03-11-2009, 07:27 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

I took some pics today. Apparently my camera had crap on the lens, so they came out a bit smudgy but you get the idea.

This is only the regular lights (not brake lights).

Pay no attention to the dull paint and huge tires...or the dent by the left rear light All are scheduled to be remedied this summer. (for the record, I am not responsible for any of those)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg off.jpg (248.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg day.jpg (236.9 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg night.jpg (268.1 KB, 138 views)
Old 03-13-2009, 08:49 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
does anyone know what kind of clear coat to use?? Should I apply it in the same fashion??

I'd use the same brand of paint. If not I've had good luck with Wal*Mart's cheapie clearcoat over most kinds of paint. Unless you can find a decent Acrylic clear. Being water based it ought not to react.

It'd be best to try it on a set of junkyard lights first. head to your local pull a part and get whatever you can find for cheap.
Current Stable By Age:
Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
I took some pics today. Apparently my camera had crap on the lens, so they came out a bit smudgy but you get the idea.

This is only the regular lights (not brake lights).

Pay no attention to the dull paint and huge tires...or the dent by the left rear light All are scheduled to be remedied this summer. (for the record, I am not responsible for any of those)
I think I'm going to mine a bit darker than yours, after seein yours. I want mine to look like the legacy gt and some of the others I posted earlier and I'm gonna buff the hell out of them so they look shiny. Thanks for posting them!