Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Re: Finally some progress...

I've never had any problems getting runs or orange peel with that clear. I just set my gun about 3-3 1/2 turns out, full pattern, and about 25-30psi at the cap. I use a Devilbliss GTI gravity feed gun for my clears.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10

yea....at that time I really didn't know how to set a gun. Because I don't have a paint booth, I'm not too keen on trying to do it myself. Too much work has gone into the prep to allow it to be ruined by me not knowing what I'm doing.

Do you have any pics of the stuff you've sprayed?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 04-19-2009, 12:22 PM

Keeping the thread alive.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:26 PM

Registered SVX

Why didn't you cover the wheels?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuberNatural View Post
Why didn't you cover the wheels?
or the lights sheesh! looks good so far though
Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 AM

Cool! Thanks for the pics. Looks good. Mine's still sitting in the garage awaiting a new sensor so I can drive it to a few paint shops.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 AM

Well, this weekend I sprayed the hood, trunk lid, mirrors, door handles, and front bumper cover. I went with a very dark gray from Audi for basecoat, and a flattened clearcoat. The clear applied pretty well, actually with very little orange peel, but the flat clear requires perfect application. I certainly didn't get it perfect, and have 3 nasty runs on the trunk lid (the first part I sprayed)...I quickly learned I needed to move the gun faster. Oh well...gives it character, I guess.

As much as I didn't want to have to buff, it absolutely requires some buffing. This'll gloss it up a bit, but hopefully it'll still keep the cool character that it has right now. I'll get some pics up soon. Hope to spray the rest of the car by the end of the week!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:48 PM

Registered SVX

What clear did you end up using?
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

If I didn't end up buying my favorite color of SVX for my project car, it would absolutely be flat black by the time I was done with it.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 AM

lol...funny you should ask. I used the Sherwin Williams flattened clear (against all recommendations from everybody).

It turned out horrible The sad part is that it went on very well with almost no orange peel. Had I used a regular clearcoat I would've been in great shape. I have a picture from when the clear was still wet and it looked great. Things got progressively worse as the clear cured and the flattening agent did its work. The night I painted, when I went to bed it was looking pretty sweet, but as it continued to cure overnight and through the day yesterday it progressively got flatter and flatter and flatter with some areas turning white and milky. Hindsight is always 20/20, eh?

So, it's forcing me to go a completely different direction with this. I think it'll still be cool, but it'll definitely be more unique. Stay tuned.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
If I didn't end up buying my favorite color of SVX for my project car, it would absolutely be flat black by the time I was done with it.
I was thinking Ford's new dark Kona Blue with black roof and deck treatment would look nice... That might not even look too bad at all with the matte-finish clear-coat that seems to be a new fashion trend. darker than Laguna blue, more like a blue-version of Claret.

Maybe a tri-tone, with black roof, a medium-dark blue main body color, and a darker blue lower color under the belt-line... and some medium gray or hyper-silver or hyper-black wheels, and tint...

Will be interesting to see what this car ends up doing. Sorry to hear that the clear-coat failed.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:48 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Perhaps this is a sign, and next time you should take off the bumpers and cladding.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:25 PM

lol...took off the front bumper and it was much easier to spray. Rear bumper is such a hassle to get off, though. So much trunk liner to remove.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:02 PM

Registered SVX

The "flexed & flat" clear sprays 99% of the time with NO ORANGE PEEL or white spots. You should have trusted me as I paint cars everyday.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-30-2009, 05:33 PM

lol..it wasn't an issue of trust. Was I stubborn? Yea. OK...end of story.

Anyway, my screw up is allowing me to express my artistic side in finding a way to address it. I've got lemons now and i'm trying to make lemonade.

The next time I'm looking for perfection, I'll run right to the paint shop and get the flexed 'n' flat. I'll tell 'em you sent me...will I get a discount?