How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-28-2002, 01:06 PM
I_Alcyone_I

Whats your guys' opinion on this.

I was looking through the paper today and saw something on sale at the auto parts store called "Tow Kool" It claims that it keeps your automatic transmission cooler. You guys ever heard of it? I'm not too big on the idea of sticking anything but transmission fluid in my transmission. Has anyone ever heard of this, does it work, does it cause any side effects?
Old 04-29-2002, 12:56 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
My rule of thumb on these things is, "If you have to ask, avoid it."

I have known many mechanics (including family members) and the general consensus is that most (if not all) additives on the market are "snake oil." Even the famed STP oil treatment was panned (and, if you've ever seen an engine opened up that has used it, you'll know why). Most people I've spoken to who've ever used Slik 50 has blown the engine they've used it in (myself included -- I talk to myself a lot). If you want your tranny to stay cooler, add an external cooler. If you want your car to last, keep the oil and filter changed, replace fluids as recommended by the manufacturer, and follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. That's probably more of my "opinion" than you were looking for, but, that's my opinion.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-29-2002, 01:12 PM
Lowered SVX

hmm.....

well done randy, i will second all of that. i have never believed in all that hocus pocus.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 04-29-2002, 04:55 PM
I_Alcyone_I

no actually I was asking for any opinion. I'm actually suprised anyone responded.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:16 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
STP

I had an interesting experience that involved STP when I was a teenager. I was at Thunder Valley in Bristol (6 miles from my old home) watching the Springnationals. I was walking through the pits, when a funny car blew its engine on a qualification run. There were a couple of openings where cars could pull into the pits just passed the traps, and as I was passing this open gate, a few engine parts slid right into the pits! I hovered over a broken rod and piston combination like a mother hen over her chicks! I kicked it over into some water that was pooled in a dip in the asphalt and the water boiled! (a true HOT rod!) After it cooled, I took my new trophy through the pits until I found the car that had blown. I asked them if they wanted their pieces back...they just shook their heads and said for me to keep it for a souvenir. I asked what had happened, and the guys told me..."You know we tear these engines down after each run? Guess what...we forgot to put any oil back in it!" I said, "But wait a minute, how could you start it up, do a burn out, and then make it almost through the quarter mile with no oil?" He smiled and said "The engine still had a thin coat of STP inside....just a few hundred feet more, and she would have made it...."

I have no idea about the tests, but in all my highest milage cars.....Swift 156,000 and Civic 198,000...I always added STP as they got over 125k and it never seemed to hurt. I also added some to the center bearing on my old Thorens turntable, on advice from an audiophile friend....supposedly cut down on friction in the bearing for less drag. I just know that the platter came up to speed just a tad quicker...

By the way, I still have the Mickey Thompson piston and rod. My brother-in-law made a lamp out of them for me!

Last edited by SVXphile; 04-29-2002 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:50 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

Waddaya mean additives don't work? Need I recite AGAIN my success with Motor Honey & Gin? Now, if I could only buy it in a box!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-29-2002, 10:09 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: STP

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
I have no idea about the tests, but in all my highest milage cars.....Swift 156,000 and Civic 198,000...I always added STP as they got over 125k and it never seemed to hurt. I also added some to the center bearing on my old Thorens turntable, on advice from an audiophile friend....supposedly cut down on friction in the bearing for less drag. I just know that the platter came up to speed just a tad quicker...

By the way, I still have the Mickey Thompson piston and rod. My brother-in-law made a lamp out of them for me! [/B]
Don,
If you'd seen the engine we tore down at my uncle's service station, from a guy that was a "faithful STP user", you'd never touch the stuff again. The stuff was baked on the piston walls and all over the inside of the engine. It actually flaked off.

As for turntables, in the radio biz, we used a blend of one part Wynn's Friction Proofing to 3 parts 3 in 1 oil. It not only worked for turntables, but for reel to reels and commercial tape cartridge (they looked kinda like 8-tracks) machines.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-30-2002, 05:06 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
more STP

<Don, If you'd seen the engine we tore down at my uncle's service station, from a guy that was a
"faithful STP user", you'd never touch the stuff again. The stuff was baked on the piston
walls and all over the inside of the engine. It actually flaked off.>

....that's why it works so well on old, worn engines Randy. As the metal parts wear down, the STP bakes into places where the metal was....kinda an early form of "RESTORE" you know.... But until it bakes, it sure is slippery....
Don
Old 04-30-2002, 07:20 PM

Hocus Pocus

I run valvoline.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:40 PM

I once tore down a Penzoil engine. Guy was nuts about Penzoil. The valley was FULL of sludge. I mean from lifter to the intake. Full. (Credit to the Chrysler 318)

You see certain oils that come from specific regions are called Oleffins. Take the word Olefin......what does it sound like?

Paraffinic (WAX) crudes occur in the PENNSYLVANIA and West Virginia fields. So what does Pennsoil do when it breaks down? It turns to a waxy sludge.

As far as additives are concerned??? Put it like this. When you are sick and the doctor prescribes a certain amount of medication you don't take more because more is better.

The same holds true for oil additives. STP raises the viscosity of the oil. This is why the dragster ran for a while without oil. They used STP to assemble it. Makes for good assembly lube. To run it all the time is probably ineffective at best.

Don't get me started on 5$ spark plugs. WASTE of MONEY. Run NGKs man. NEVER EVER run Champions.

Hope I did not make anyone I am just stating my opinion.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:16 PM
One teal and One yellow

Re: more STP

it's making sense....you don't believe but not others...you don't think it works but it works for others....otherwise, how would they have their markets... they should all have their usefulness and it's depending on if you get the right one and use it in right way... such as the two threads of "tornado" - one side said no but one side said yes... i like to try it by myself and know if it works...if it doesn't work, do you use it in right way or maybe do you need it ?..

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05