How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Unhappy Scary Brakes! Yikes!

Ok so everytime I brake my whole car shakes. It used to be only a little bit bad. I thought maybe my rotors were super warped. I replaced front and rear rotors and pads. Now when I hit the brakes the car shakes VIOLENTLY! If I relax my head I look likeone those bobble heads you put in your dash. And my steering wheel is visibly shaking (jerking about and inch left and right, but not enough to actually turn the car) Its much worse the faster I'm going and the harder I'm braking. Under 40 mph it doesn't happen at all unless I have to make a sudden stop. Could they just be out of balance though. It seems like its coming more formt he front and not the back end of the car. When I did my brakes I put both rear wheels in a solvent tank and used a wire brush to scrub the almost 1/2" crud built up on the inside of my wheels. I was painting my calipers that day too and it was taking forever so I didn't clean the front wheels. Could something that small be my big problem? ANy suggestions?
Old 04-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Have you checked alignment, do you have a bent rim by chance? that could cause such symptoms. I know the feeling your talking about, my alignment is off, but i'm waiting for new tires to get it fixed.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
My guess is your control arm bushings. If you jack the front end up, get a pry bar between the control arm and the subframe. There should be some movement front to back but none from side to side. There are two bushings per arm, check them both.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Check Alignment, bent rim, wheel balance, frozen caliper.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:18 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
My guess is your control arm bushings. If you jack the front end up, get a pry bar between the control arm and the subframe. There should be some movement front to back but none from side to side. There are two bushings per arm, check them both.
In an effort to prevent confusion as a result of many ideas, I confirm agreement with the above.

It has been stated that the problem is confined to braking, which means that torque is involved, surely thus ruling out tyres, wheels and steering geometry.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!