How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-14-2007, 09:28 AM

Question Couple odds n ends questions

Just some basic questions...

Since last posting, I've added to the transmission the external cooler, changed the external filter, the internal filter, switched to a combination of Amsoil and Mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid, changed front and rear differential fluids to Amsoil and added the little smallcar shift kit... For the most part, everything runs fantastic...

Shifting issues:
1st to 3rd and 3rd to 4th only - when it gets warmed up, I get a shudder from the backend - Differentials? There is a little slack in the drive shaft (checked when I was under doing the rear fluid) I can do work on cars, but a mechanic I am not...

2nd to 3rd - When it gets warmed up - at low RPM's it flares, almost like it slips - if I realize it is about to do this and let off the gas before a shift, it doesn't flare, but I can feel it delay then shift suddenly. On acceleration, it takes longer for this shift too when it gets warmed up. Instead of shifting like the rest, it acts like it takes it a moment to fully engage (kind of like riding a clutch on a manual)

3rd to 4th - After shifting into 4th, on acceleration, the RPM's stay nearly constant until I let off upon getting to 60, even though I am still accelerating... then it slowly takes less RPMS to maintain speed... (never takes more than 2500rpm to maintain 60mph - overdrive = 2000 rpm)

I am not sure about the 2nd to 3rd part and the last part there about 3rd to 4th - I wonder if I switch it to FWD, if I'll extend the life of my transmission and rears for now...

Also, some noises and shakes up front and it isn't the tires, but it is something that goes in time with the tires - Sometimes I feel it in the steering, sometimes not. Sometimes I feel it in the brakes, sometimes not. Sometimes the car almost feels wobbly for a moment, sometimes not. Not all of the symptoms are 100% constant, but in the end, it is always there... Thoughts? Ball joint? Bearings? Axel? I dunno?

Getting ready to go cross country in it and want to make sure everything is up to snuff... Love the car - think I may look for more of them in the future...

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2007, 07:29 PM

Registered SVX
As a first off, I suggest you disconnect the shift kit so that this can be taken out of the equation.

Hopefully you may require only a band adjustment. We now have a transmission expert offering special rebuilds. No doubt goodwill will be in the offing and you should get sound advice from that quarter.

You state that the shuddering is still apparent under braking, which rather indicates that it is not caused within the drive line. Give this aspect some further thought and advise. You say it is not tyres. Be sure a problem is not always visible in this respect.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:22 AM

The shudder in the shifting was there before I added the shift kit - as was the flare - and when I do switch to FWD, the rear shudder does go away - just wondering if it is something in the transmission, or if it is in the rear differential, or the driveshaft... I dunno...

The front end problem (and I haven't spent any time at all trying to diagnose this) is apparent at different times in different ways - Like I said, almost none of the symptoms of it are 100% constant... Sometimes I feel it in the brake pedal - sometimes I feel it in the steering wheel - sometimes I feel it in neither, but I feel it in the ride. Sometimes I really don't feel it - though it is usually there and goes fairly well in time with the tire rotation, but not the engine RPM's or the gear which leads me to believe something between the transmission to the wheel itself is the issue... I am looking for some experienced feedback on these before I really dive in as I can accomplish taking care of things with help, but in truly diagnosing a mechanical issue, therein I lack the experience and knowlege...

Btw - today when the shift flare of 2-3 started one time, I decided the next time I stopped to switch to manual and go that way - all shifts come immediate - so correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read on here before that 2-3 shift flare is a Throttle Position Sensor usually - I am guessing as well that this would cause longer shifts in acceleration (not a flare, but takes longer to fully engage on auto)?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2007, 04:48 AM
That's gona leave a mark.

RE: Rear Shudder.
For me (same symptoms incl. no shudder with AWD off) it was the front most Ujoint on the propshaft/driveshaft. The only way to see it is to take the heat shield off. Kind of a PITA.

the Chick Magnet:
91 Justy GL EFI 4x4 154k (new motor @120k)

90 Yamaha V-Max
82 Yamaha XJ650LJ Turbo
My Diver Propulsion vehicle:
88 Jeep Cherokee 160k
"U-sta-have"
88 XT6 AWD Pearl,
86 XT Lt Blue,
85 XT AWD/4x4 Turbo Space Blue