IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 08:23 AM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
maybe they will get the old SVX marketing team back together!
If anyone remembers where Subaru buried them...

This car is ugly as hell, just like the one before it. And it will still sell en masse, just like the one before it. Lets just hope the people at headquarters are reading a few message boards and decide the change that design, or theirs always the next gen to look forward too
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 04-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Pics of the sedan at the NYIAS public unveiling this morning...

Link to the Subaru autoshow site for the 2008 WRX

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Hrmmm.....You know, I retract my "This car looks like ****" statement slightly. It looks better in those pictures. Still not what I'd expect/like, but not as bad as I felt before.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-05-2007, 11:13 AM

Transcript from this morning's press conference:

Quote:
Subaru Impreza
Press Conference
NYIAS
9.40am, 5 March, 2007
McHale

Ladies and Gentlemen

Welcome to the SECOND of two Subaru world debuts at the New York Auto Show.

Before we begin let me introduce a number of senior executives from Fuji Heavy Industries: President and CEO Mr Ikuo Mori, Project General Manager for Impreza - Mr Akihide Takeuchi (Mr Takeuchi will be available for questions after the conference) the new Chairman, President and CEO of Subaru of America, Mr Tomohiko Ikeda and Tom Doll, Executive Vice President of Subaru of America.

So, now on to business. Yesterday on this stand we showed you our new 2008 Tribeca with its new design and more powerful engine.

And today we have an equally important reveal – the all-new Impreza and WRX.

Both of these vehicles will set new standards in their respective segments.

Tim Colbeck, Vice President of Sales for Subaru of America will give you the detail on these two cars and before that Mr Mori will give you his remarks.

Mori
Ladies and Gentlemen
Yesterday we showed you the new Tribeca…that reveal was about Subaru style and versatility.

And today we are very pleased to show you an all-new model that is a perfect example of Subaru performance and practicality.

Two world debuts in New York is no coincidence for us.

We have said clearly that the US market is central to our business at Subaru and in the next 4 years we will grow our business from last year’s record 200,000 sales to over 230,000 sales per year by 2010.

And the way we will do this is by providing the market with the products it wants and by putting the Customer First in everything we do.

You all know that Subaru products are fun to drive, reliable and safe. Our plan is to communicate that even more clearly than before.

So now let me pass to Tim Colbeck who will tell you more about our new models.

Tim Colbeck
Thank you Mori-san.

There are only a few three letter acronyms that can raise the heart rate of an automotive enthusiast as quickly as the letters… W..R..X.

Say ‘WRX’ to any car guy and you will get a smile in return.

WRX means power, performance, rally wins and a particular shade of blue...

And now we’re about to launch a new WRX and I’m really excited to stand up here and reveal it to the world.

There is a lot of anticipation for the WRX, but before I get to that, I want to let you in on a secret about the Impreza line….the secret is…that there IS an Impreza.

You know, there is SO much attention paid to WRX, that we sometimes think the best kept secret about the Impreza line-up is that there actually IS an Impreza.

While the Impreza is the foundation of the WRX, it is also an incredible car in its own right. It’s got a great combination of safety and fun and AWD performance. Last year, we let the secret out a little, and sales were up 40% from the previous year.

So while the WRX is generating excitement at the dealers and hacking attempts at our web sites, we want to make sure the word gets out on the new Impreza – the best Impreza ever….
…with Subaru Symmetrical AWD and a boxer engine under the hood, the most capable and stylish mid-sized car you will see at this show.

The new Impreza is a huge leap forward with completely new styling and grown up proportions. It is more of what made Impreza successful in a stunning new wrapper. The Impreza comes in both a stylish 4-door and sporty 5 door versions and you should know that the 4 door is a unique Subaru offering for the North American market.

It has gotten bigger. In fact, the new Impreza 4 door is 4 inches longer, over an inch taller and is 2 inches wider on the inside. All of that on a wheel base that is 3.7 inches longer.

Under the hood, the 2.5i model delivers 170Hp and 170 lbs-feet of torque out of a boxer engine that gives low center of gravity and excellent torque character.

And of course puts that power to the road through our world class AWD system, providing performance, safety AND control.

The Impreza is new in every way. Its interior follows Subaru’s award-winning interior design language and comes with its own interpretation of the twin-cockpit look.

It has a new double-wishbone suspension system that provides the perfect balance of ride comfort and handling precision.

Combined with the longer wheelbase that gives this vehicle excellent interior roominess, improved legroom and increased trunk space.

The all-new Impreza delivers what we think is the best combination of driving performance, safety and fun in its class.

Let’s take a look….

Ladies and Gentlemen, the new Subaru Impreza (reveal to speaker’s right)
(reveal and pause)
This is the 5 door and the first thing you notice is that it’s bigger - as I said - it’s 2 inches wider inside and has a 3.7 inch longer wheelbase.

Despite the longer wheelbase, the 5 door is 2 inches shorter than the previous model and that means reduced overhangs and better handling.

And the rear doors now open to 75 degrees to provide easier access to the rear seats.

In both 4 and 5 door styles, the Impreza is more practical and more stylish than ever before…so now you get a great driving experience, good looks and interior space that’s right up there with the top of the class…and when you throw in it’s Subaru legendary all wheel drive safety and durability, you can see we have a winning package in this segment.

Now let’s dial up the performance a little bit.

When the WRX was first launched in 1992 it was an instant success worldwide.

It’s signature blue body and gold wheels became an icon.... and went on to be a rally champion, a street racer and also the dream car of the enthusiast tuner. When it came to our shores in 2002, it created a loyal group of enthusiasts and defined affordable performance in the U.S. market.

And now we launch a new era…

As part of the Impreza family, WRX enjoys all the improvements of the new Impreza, including the increased interior dimensions and great new styling…

But with the WRX you get more of the things that matter to an enthusiast – a 224Hp, 226 lb.-ft. 2.5 liter turbo boxer engine, a sharper suspension, sports seats…and of course that famous hood scoop.

Like I said, launching a new WRX is pretty exciting, so let’s not wait any longer, Ladies and Gentlemen, the new WRX. (reveal left of speaker)
(reveal – pause)
You can see by the dramatic hood scoop and the stance of the wheels that this is a car built for performance.

In addition to this 4 door version, the WRX will also come in an aggressive 5 door body style that will be the basis for the WRC competition car.

The WRX really defines what Subaru all wheel drive performance is all about:

Sharp handling, instant power response, dramatic styling. It’s a winning formula for us and one we plan to continue to follow.

And Subaru Performance is also Affordable Performance. We want to make sure the WRX is competitively priced and so while we haven’t completely fixed prices yet, it will be available in the mid $20,000 dollar range. That means you will be able to get the latest in Subaru engineered performance in a package for less than $25,000. That’s Subaru value.

The Impreza and WRX will go on sale in the U.S. in late Summer.
(pause)
Ladies and gentlemen, this is an exciting time for us at Subaru.

The new Tribeca we debuted yesterday and the new Impreza and WRX will further raise the profile of the Subaru brand in the US Market.

These new products will give us the opportunity to build on last year’s sales success and cement our position as the leading AWD manufacturer.

And, along with the rest of our award-winning line up, these vehicles will ensure Subaru’s continued success in the US market… and around the world.

Thank you and enjoy the show.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Hater

i don't really understand where they are trying to go with this. it looks like a Legacy now with a goofy front end. if you wanted a slightly larger car, why wouldn't you just buy a Legacy (the Legacy is not a very big car, either.) i like the Legacy, but i'd like something smaller and more tossable next time...... more of a "scalpel". looks like it won't be the STI, especially since its hatchback only.

if some good aftermarket grilles come out (and i'm SURE they will be widely available ), it wouldn't be too bad looking.....

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 04-05-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
i don't really understand where they are trying to go with this. it looks like a Legacy now with a goofy front end. if you wanted a slightly larger car, why wouldn't you just buy a Legacy (the Legacy is not a very big car, either.) i like the Legacy, but i'd like something smaller and more tossable next time...... more of a "scalpel". looks like it won't be the STI, especially since its hatchback only.
The new Impreza does look like a 'baby' legacy. Kinda reminds me of a BMW 3 series/Acura TL/Kia Spectra rolled into one car!

Old 04-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
The new Impreza does look like a 'baby' legacy. Kinda reminds me of a BMW 3 series/Acura TL/Kia Spectra rolled into one car!
the grille and front end are giving me a "Chevy Malibu / Dodge Stratus" feeling.

i think a new grille would help ALOT, but its basically just an LGT with slightly less juice, and ..... are there any other differences?

Old 04-05-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
its basically just an LGT with slightly less juice, and ..... are there any other differences?
You hit on the main points - not sure how much less juice it really has until one is put on the dyno. It also weighs in at just 3,142lbs so its almost 300lbs ligther than a LGT. It'll be interesting to see if the final drive on the trans is revised - the LGT has a 4.11 FD, while the '06-07 WRX had a 3.70 FD.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
You hit on the main points - not sure how much less juice it really has until one is put on the dyno.
if it has the same engine/turbo/manifold/intercooler, i'm sure Subaru just lowered the boost on the WRX to keep the pricier LGT justified. a simple reflash will even that right up.

Quote:
It also weighs in at just 3,142lbs so its almost 300lbs ligther than a LGT.
not mine - i have the rare and exotic UN-Limited model.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:57 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
The back end of the sedan isn't too bad, but the back end of the three door has to go. That is one of the most hideous things I have ever seen. I still don't understand the obsession with making it look like a Corolla.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-05-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
I still don't understand the obsession with making it look like a Corolla.
Well, people said the Legacy looks like the Camry - so I guess they're trying to make te Impreza look like the Corolla for a reason!

Old 04-05-2007, 01:36 PM

Official Subaru press stand photos from today:

Old 04-05-2007, 02:57 PM

08 impreza

Here's how i feel about the new impreza wrx :

and please get ride of the stupid grill.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:12 PM

oh also the line coming from the rear wheel well going to the rear bumper on both the impreza and wrx, just looks really tacky.

i like the earlier concept models a lot more

Old 04-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Oh for the good old days with the 3 section grill that we all loathed at first and love (for the most part) now.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5