How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-02-2006, 11:57 AM
blah blah, blah.

Dimming lights, dash lights on, radio on and off

As the title states, my car is acting a bit strange, good timing with finals coming up.. With that note, i do not have time or the ability to take the car to the shop for a few days..

Heres how it happened,
I was driving with out any problems, then i pulled into a parking lot and the lights dimmed for a split second and all the dash lights came on ( i think all of them except the check engine, and atf). Since then the dash lights have never came off (i tried unhooking the battery for a while). Then the next day while i was driving all the lights became dull and the radio started to turn off and on, the heater blower also became very slow.

My thoughts are it could be the alternator/battery, but i got my buddy with a truck and connected jumper cables, but the light dimming, radio on/off didn't stop. Im not sure if that disproves that it could be the alternator/battery.

Another thought was there could be a short somewhere, and i hope this is not true because then i dont know how to fix it or how expensive it will be to get a shop to find/fix the short.

Any ideas guys?
Mods (in order of install)- K&N air filter, ECUtune stage 1v.4, Alternator mod, removed intake resonator, B&M Supercooler, Window Tint, JDM Emblem, Hid Kit 5000K.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
First thing to do is go to Shuck's or somewhere and have them do a verifiable test on your alt and battery.

I'm nowhere near an electrical guru, but I wonder if your voltage regulator is at fault?
I think I mentioned this before, but it still might be worth getting a cig lighter volt meter. $15 at Wal-World. It tells you your alt output, battery charge level, and whether the alt is charging the battery.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:50 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
What you describe is just what a failing alternator does. I'd have it load tested somewhere, but I'm fairly sure that it's going to come up a few volts short.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 12-02-2006, 08:28 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalil

My thoughts are it could be the alternator/battery, but i got my buddy with a truck and connected jumper cables, but the light dimming, radio on/off didn't stop. Im not sure if that disproves that it could be the alternator/battery.
Any ideas guys?
Are you saying that dim lights and radio on/off did not stop when a good battery was connected and I would presume the engine of the other vehicle was running? If all connections were OK full voltage should have been present at the battery. What is more I gather the car cranks and starts OK again an indication of full voltage.

If the above is correct there must be voltage drop within the affected circuits. All that said your description is rather confusing, so that an exact diagnosis is not possible.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-02-2006, 09:06 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
It sounds like the regulator. It's job is to monitor the battery. If it's bad, it might think the battery is fully charged and will not engage the alternator to charge. That might be the reason why your lights are dimming.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:02 AM
blah blah, blah.

Also something i forgot to mention that may or may not be helpful is that last week i started the car on a cold day and it felt like the engine was not firing a cylinder or something, it was very rough and the car shook. I left it on for a few minutes and it stopped....

so frustrated right now, i parked it in the garage and theres a nice pool of ATF where i parked, and i just tightened about three leaky transmission hoses last week because it was leaking a little bit.

Im about blow the thing up!
Mods (in order of install)- K&N air filter, ECUtune stage 1v.4, Alternator mod, removed intake resonator, B&M Supercooler, Window Tint, JDM Emblem, Hid Kit 5000K.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:32 AM
blah blah, blah.

Newb question - Is the voltage regulator in the alternator?

Another question -
Is it possible that the ATF is leaking out because of excessively high presure?
well actully it would probably spray out if the presure was too high.... Would something blocking the ATFs path make any loose hose connections leak? What would make slightly loose hose connections leak?

I know that this last quesiton dosn't really have to do with my electrical issue ( i think ) but i might as well ask..
Old 12-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalil
Newb question - Is the voltage regulator in the alternator?
Both the diode (rectifier bridge) and voltage regulator are located inside the alternator. You should be able to get your charging system checked for free at Auto Zone or Advance Auto. Their checks include these circuits

Quote:
Another question -
Is it possible that the ATF is leaking out because of excessively high pressure?Well actually it would probably spray out if the pressure was too high.... Would something blocking the ATFs path make any loose hose connections leak? What would make slightly loose hose connections leak?

I know that this last question dosn't really have to do with my electrical issue ( think) but i might as well ask.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 12-03-2006, 01:44 PM
blah blah, blah.

Just got back from schucks, alternator was bad.
It was only putting out about 10-11 volts. Bought a remanufactured one and hopefully that fixes everything, thanks for the help.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:14 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
ATF is also used for the power steering. Make sure where your leak is from, the Trans or the Steering.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:33 PM
blah blah, blah.

Alternator fixed it all.

The leak however must be coming from my transmission (checked fluid levels.) Probably a loose hose somewhere... Would there be any reason to why all my hoses started leaking around the same time?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:49 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Might be blockage in your atf cooler/radiator.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Is your power steering fluid level also ok? The high pressure line likes to develop a pinhole leak and the low pressure line likes to work its way loose.