How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-25-2006, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
dash lighting up!

Ok so just yesterday I got the "christmas tree" effect almost all the lights lit up (power steering, battery, stom lamp, ABS and maybe one other), when i would press the brake the lights would go out (most of the time) now the lights are on all the time. I replaced my alternator with a known good one, lights were still on and i also replaced the battery, lights still came on...any idea?
Old 11-25-2006, 01:37 PM
95pologreen

Send a message via AIM to Crazypolo95
That should happen with a new alternator. When my dad got a new alternator it said that he was going 100 on a death stop. It should go away in some three or five mins tops. If not that then there is something really jack up with your car
Old 11-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Check the MAF sensor, my '92 had been doing this and my first thoughts were alternator and battery, but the MAF is what ended up fixing it.

dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 11-25-2006, 06:11 PM

thanks dustin i'll try that out tomorrow, will keep posted...
Old 11-26-2006, 08:57 AM

update

well i replaced the MAF sensor and the dash lights are still lighting up, so far i've replaced the alternator, battery, and now MAF sensor...i am at a loss, any other thoughts?
Old 11-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Do you get any engine codes? Check wires, since you said the lights would go out when you hit the brakes it could be a wire that is moving around and shorting or something.

dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 11-26-2006, 11:55 AM

I would run by your local auto zone or some parts store like it and have them check your charging system. I know you say the alt is known to be good, but I would dubble check it. I had the same deal and i replaced the alt with a known good used one and it still did it. then I put a autozone reman one on and it still didi it and on the 3rd try I got a good one and cured the problem. thoes stores check youe system for free so it wouldnt hurt to do it just to make sure

Tony
Old 11-26-2006, 02:44 PM

Registered SVX
As I have often explained, a faulty alternator diode will result in alternating current being induced on the DC circuits and bypassing blocking diodes in the fault lamp circuits.

I have not tried this simple test, but it should work in the absence of a scope for a proper test. Set a multimeter to the AC volts range and a scale covering 12 volts. Apply a test across the battery and if you get a reading, this should show the presence of alternating current, proving an alternator fault.

A second method also untried, would be to connect two capacitors of around say 100 mfds and 16v or more working voltage, in series with both leads to a pair of headphones. With the capacitors across the battery, listen for an AC noise from the alternator when running and at engine speed.

N.B. Directly connecting the headphones will destroy their windings and it is for this reason that I suggest two capacitors by way of a safety measure. A cheap miniature earphone or headphones of the $2 shop sort will do the trick. Only those who appreciate what is being attempted should try this experiment.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-26-2006, 11:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to vernemusso
Same problem with the dash lights

What a stroke of luck ( I guess ). I'm having the same problem with the dash lights ( engine light does not come on ) My original alternator was rebuilt to the tune of 225, a new battery was installed and when I first started it, the lights did not come on. When I took it for a test drive, the lights came back on within 5 miles so the alternator was removed and retested. It tested OK on the bench so it was installed once again. My car also needs brakes and I'm wondering if the ABS light would come on? I've yet to try Trevor's idea of measuring for alternating current which is the most intelligent idea yet. ( Love your country Trevor and thank you for your post ) I checked my invoice and everything except the diode was replaced so maybe this is actually the problem. Is the diode integrated to another part or is it free standing? I'll report on Trevor's suggestion tomorrow after the experiment.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
The diode (rectifier bridge) and voltage regulator are located inside the alternator. The shop should have checked these circuits when the alternator was rebuilt. It it passed their inspection prior to leaving the shop, I would assume these circuits were functioning properly.

Here is a link for understanding the alternator
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/alt_bwoh.pdf
/

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 11-27-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:57 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernemusso
( Love your country Trevor and thank you for your post )
If you visit there could be a bed waiting.

Check on the site svxcess suggests before experimenting, as this will give you a good idea of all that is involved.

It is quite possible that the diode network was not checked properly in respect of an overhauled unit, as knowledge and care is involved.

Best of luck, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-27-2006, 02:26 AM

dash lights

Visited NJ back in '78/'79 spent 2 months on the north is. and 2 on the south.
Favorite place was Nelson. Honesty was rampant then...........is it now? And if I could, I'd go back in an instant. But this thread is about dash lights .........not how friendly the Kiwis are, with crystal blue lakes tempting you with prize fishing, towering alpine vistas, geysers spewing forth the earth's innards,
Maoris performing the Haka (sp), the song of the tui bird, the quiet manner that the Kiwis are known for, the beautiful flowering pahutakawa tree that will or is in bloom now..............I'd better stop ! Thank you again for your help and your knowledge. If only those that actually work in this field had half of your knowledge. We can only dream.......................
Old 11-27-2006, 03:30 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernemusso
Visited NJ back in '78/'79 spent 2 months on the north is. and 2 on the south.
Favorite place was Nelson. Honesty was rampant then...........is it now? ...................
Sadly no. One must now lock all doors. Even so a better place than most.
Comments much appreciated. Cheers. (N.B. Saving space in case this gets kicked out of technical. )

Old 11-27-2006, 02:51 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
When I had this problem, the alternator checked out fine on a bench test but not in the car! The shop changed the regulator and the end plug that connects to the alternator. Almost a year now with no problems.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:52 PM

more input the better

Thanks Dannmarr for your input but in my case, everything except the diode was replaced, hence, the rather expensive bill or maybe i just got hosed ! Trevor's suggestion of testing for AC will have to wait as the weather has turned sour.