Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2002, 12:37 AM
punisher

Question I want one!

I used to be obsessed with the WRX...that is until I came to the realization that there's no way in hell I'd ever afford a new car.
Depression set it... And then one day I saw a strange vehicle in front of me. It had a wiper on it's rear, yet it was a coupe. What the?? SVX...what's that...? It's a subaru! Whoa man....I had never heard of the SVX and so I did some more research. At first I was freaked out by the windows, but now I dig them. They're not ugly, they're just different. Cooler. But now my debacle. All the dealers I've come across are asking in the neighborhood of $8500 for the 92 model. And they don't even have the vehicle's repair history since they've been trade ins, so they can't tell me if its trouble areas (tranny, etc.) have been repaired. Is that a reasonable price for a car that is over 10 years and 100k old? I can afford maybe half of that...and now depression has set in again. But I digress...how much should I expect to pay for an SVX that is roughly 100k and 10 years old? How about a 95 model?
Old 04-08-2002, 12:54 AM
Boone

RE: I want one...

Go to the Kelly Blue Book site.
http://www.kbb.com and you will see what the costs are up front. Run the numbers. If you buy before '94 then add the price of a reman trans or see that it has been done previously. I would advise against an SVX as a first real car. B.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:00 AM
punisher

Beggers and choosers

Why don't you recommend this one as a first car? Cuz of all the troubles it has? I'm looking for something AWD with some oomph, and this is what I've come up with.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:12 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Off all the people, I should not be the one saying this: SVXes are really expensive to repair and they are a headache.

How do you get rid of your headache? Go get another one and start all over...

I am not trying to scare you or anything, but SVX can be a pain esp. if you fall in love with it. If you are in a market for one, make sure you know what you are really getting into. SVXes are fun and they grab attention like crazy. Be aware of the tranny issues and other minor issues like bearings ( in some cases everything in the whole damn wheel well).

Parts are expensive and hard to find. There are hardly any aftermarket parts for the car.

OOmph,SVX has.... just don't floor the car when you get one unless you have a tranny tree growing out in your backyard ( in which case, I'll buy your house -- since I am on a buying spree)

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-08-2002, 01:13 AM
Boone

RE: Beggers and choosers

..obviously the high cost of repair and maintenance. But if Lwin will let his go for a song ... sing it. What the **** happened to his LR? Someone ****ed up. And it's only a FWD!! B.

Last edited by Boone; 04-08-2002 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:20 AM
punisher

I must be really really impressionable, because now you've talked me out of this car. I was aware of the tranny and wheel problems, but i heard the later models had ammended these issues. Ah well. I have a few months before I make a purchas anyway, so I'm sure I'll figure something out.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:34 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
[QUOTE]Originally posted by punisher
I must be really really impressionable, because now you've talked me out of this car. I was aware of the tranny and wheel problems, but i heard the later models had ammended these issues. Ah well. I have a few months before I make a purchas anyway, so I'm sure I'll figure something out. [/QUOT

94+ models have a better cooler for the tranny. If you love the car, then go for it. There were times I was broke. Then there are times when I have 2 of them. Just don't talk to us and see what we say to you. If you really want to try it out, go find one and drive one block. You will say to yourself, what ever happens, I want this car. Trust me. I know the problems and I still went out and get another one. Why? I know what I am getting into. Although problems exists, there are ways to fix them or use the car so that they don't arise. If you are looking for a drag racer, this is not it though. I wish you all the luck with your search. I'd rather tell you what you want to know rather than how great the SVX is. We all know how great they are. I just don't want you to go get one and hate it later becuase you can't fix the car.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!

Last edited by Seraph; 04-08-2002 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:42 PM
ChrisB

If I were you, I'd take your time looking for a very nice SVX and get exactly the one you want. Why? Because you'll have it for a long time because you'll fall in love with it. Sure, there will be times when it may let you down, but just start a "repair savings account" to make it a little less traumatic. Enjoy the fact that you're driving a car with little or no car payment that is more fun than 95% of all other cars out there. They will look over at your car and wonder how expensive that exotic car is while you're laughing because they have a 20 some thousand dollar ultra boring Accord or whatever.

Thanks for letting me ramble. Best of sucess to you!
Old 04-08-2002, 06:01 PM
ChrisB

If I were you, I'd take your time looking for a very nice SVX and get exactly the one you want. Why? Because you'll have it for a long time because you'll fall in love with it. Sure, there will be times when it may let you down, but just start a "repair savings account" to make it a little less traumatic. Enjoy the fact that you're driving a car with little or no car payment that is more fun than 95% of all other cars out there. They will look over at your car and wonder how expensive that exotic car is while you're laughing because they have a 20 some thousand dollar ultra boring Accord or whatever.

Thanks for letting me ramble. Best of sucess to you!
Old 04-08-2002, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

So from what I'm seeing here

I should have bought the '92 LS-L with 58K original miles, from the original owner with ALL paperwork for about $6000. Not kidding! Wonder if the new owner will show up here? Car came from MI and traveled back to Nebraska this weekend.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:18 PM
Green1995SVX

I paid $7000 for my 95 with 90,000 on it. That was from a subaru dealer with a high price reputation.

-Mike