Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2002, 04:34 PM

It depends on what you want. I've owned a 93 SVX in the past, and sold it to get my 98 Legacy GT. I like both cars for different reasons. The SVX is definitely faster, but the GT feels quicker, more nimble. I think that's just because it's a 5 speed and I enjoy that more. I've got kids and wanted a 4 door, so the GT fit the bill. I got to where I was pretty worried about getting good service for my SVX. We've only got two Subaru dealerships here in Oklahoma, and the one here in town has actually shut down, and then someone else picked up the franchise. The SVX's are out of production, and I don't feel like they get continued support from Subaru like they should. I didn't want to get stuck with a car that no one could work on. It is an exotic, beautiful machine. It's great to drive, brings great pleasure, and attracts attention.

The Legacy GT is basically the same thing as the Outbacks, therefore any Subaru dealership should be well-equipped and knowledgeable to take care of the car. There is indeed quite a lot of aftermarket stuff available for the Legacy GT as well. Struts, springs, short shift kits, headers, reworked heads, cams, turbos, etc. I autocross mine, and have a blast. I've really gotten a lot of pleasure out of modifying it and making it unique. It gets quite a bit of attention as well. Here's a link to my Yahoo briefcase with some recent pictures (got new wheels!). http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/richei...c=bc%26.view=l

'02 Toyota MR2 Spyder

(Previous '93 SVX Owner)
Old 04-08-2002, 11:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to ykobayashi
Registered SVX
SVX vs. Legacy 2.5 GT

Hi,

I own a '95 SVX and a '99 Legacy 2.5 GT wagon. I bought both of them brand new off the showroom floor. Now I know that you are probably looking for a sedan and you're thinking "yeah, but a wagon and sedan are different" but understand that the performance between the two is not vastly different (for example see the Lexus IS300/ IS300 Sport Cross)since they are exactly the same forward of the C-pillar. There might be some slower 0-60 times between the sedan and the wagon but its a matter of tenths of seconds. Both body types perform almost identically in handing and braking.

Understand this about the GT, it is in no way a performance or "fast" car. Its a base Legacy with a 2.5 liter engine, body kit, upgraded wheels, tighter suspension and some extra creature comforts. the 165 horses are stifled by weight of the car due to its AWD system (this car needs a turbo!). The fact that mine is an automatic just aggravates the situation. Even the new Legacy LLBean and HDC versions have a flat six producing 212 hp but they are still not up to the European competition as far as 0-60 times. While the car is no slug and is very solid at high speeds, its definetly not my SVX.

Oh yeah, the hood scoop that you were referring to in your original message is a "faux" scoop. It serves no purpose, it is purely ornamental. It does not help to get cool air into the engine. Its actually blocked by a big metal plate underneath it so water doesn't get into the engine bay.

As far as the aftermarket performance upgrades that I heard about. I have not been able to find them. The only place that I have seen anything is Cobb Tuning. The upgrades they have there seem limited (no turbos, no supercharger, no NOS) to underdrive pulleys, new heads, camshafts, and exaust systems etc. If any of you know of some great sites that have nice upgrades for the Legacy GT (1999) please pass them on.

Not to say this car has been bad, its actually been terriffic. We love this car! Its been my wife's car and its been bulletproof. Not a thing has gone wrong with it and it looks great, very european in the GT trim. I couldn't justify spending 10k or more for the same thing just for a trendy moniker (e.g. Volvo V70, Audi A4 Avant, 3 Series wagon) and in most cases less space and poorer reliability. I would highly recommend any Subaru to anyone looking for a car.

In closing if you want a "Dogfighter" (high performance car going nose to nose with turbo Eclipses, Mustangs, etc.) buy the WRX. If you want an "All Weather Interceptor"(a sporty GT luxury car with AWD, think Lexus SC300/400) go with the SVX. If you want a "All around great car with a sporty attitude", The GT is a great buy.

Just my 2 cents, Best of Luck!

Yoshi
Old 04-08-2002, 08:09 PM
punisher

Give me WRX

If I could afford a WRX, trust me, I'd have two right now. It seems to me you're comparing a 99 station wagon GT to a 97 Sedan GT, when it really isn't a true comparison. I'm not sure about the 99 model year's hoodscoop, but the 97's is actually somewhat functional, directing air around the engine bay for improved cooling. Also, this car is MUCH more of a performance car than you give it credit, in a preWRX way. It accelerates soooo much better than any car I've ever been next to at a light (or maybe those people just take their sweet *butt time. MMM that engine makes the most wonderful sound as its revs increase rapidly. And it's handling is much tighter than anything I've driven. Hell, I fishtailed a few years ago turning off of the highway in this car. I was moronically doing about 50 coming around an exit when the posted limit was 25. I would have been fine, except it had just poured down, so it was quite slick. Before I knew it the car slid slightly left, then slightly right! I nearly pissed myself. I quickly regained control and all was well...but had this been any other car, I'm positive I would have ended up in the middle of the intersection. The only true complaint I have about this car is it's slight lag in acceleration. If you floor it, it takes a few seconds for the RPMS to climb before the car takes off. Other than that, this car is a true performer.

Last edited by punisher; 04-09-2002 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:58 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Re: Give me WRX

Quote:
Originally posted by punisher
If I could afford a WRX, trust me, I'd have two right now. It seems to me you're comparing a 99 station wagon GT to a 97 Sedan GT, when it really isn't a true comparison. I'm not sure about the 99 model year's hoodscoop, but the 97's is actually somewhat functional, directing air around the engine bay for improved cooling. Also, this car is MUCH more of a performance car than you give it credit, in a preWRX way. It accelerates soooo much better than any car I've ever been next to at a light (or maybe those people just take their sweet *bleep* time). MMM that engine makes the most wonderful sound as its revs increase rapidly. And it's handling is much tighter than anything I've driven. *Bleep*, I fishtailed a few years ago turning off of the highway in this car. I was moronically doing about 50 coming around an exit when the posted limit was 25. I would have been fine, except it had just poured down, so it was quite slick. Before I knew it the car slid slightly left, then slightly right! I nearly *bleeped* myself. I quickly regained control and all was well...but had this been any other car, I'm positive I would have ended up in the middle of the intersection. The only true complaint I have about this car is it's slight lag in acceleration. If you floor it, it takes a few seconds for the RPMS to climb before the car takes off. Other than that, this car is a true performer.
punisher,

You're a new guy here, and just getting to know your way around and stuff - but - I'd like to point out at this time that this is a "Family Friendly" site. We don't cotton to foul language (even though some do seem to get carried away at times). Besides that, it sort of makes you sound like an immature kid. Rise above it.

Thanks for your cooperation.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 04-09-2002, 12:45 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Angry Foul Language

My father used a quote he would recite (after wopping me across the back of the head) each time I would use profane or unacceptable language. It went, " Foul and inappropriate language is merely the attempt of a weak mind to express itself forcefully."

I don't know who to attribute the quote to, but I think it worked with me. D*mnit.
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 04-09-2002, 01:21 PM
punisher

Give me A break

Cry me a river.

Last edited by punisher; 04-09-2002 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:36 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Re: Give me A break

Quote:
So only immature kids use the word A$$? Give me a break, waisons. By complaining about one little word, it makes you sound like a jerk. If I had said Hell, would you have taken offense to it as well? And I realize this is a "Family Friendly site" and I obviously didn't mean to offend anyone by saying the word butt, but if you truly are offended by that, then good. Waisons, since you seem so sensitive to somewhat butnotreally adult language, I'm assuming you fall victim to heart attacks when you turn on the television or sit through a PG-13 movie. WOW man...who complains about somewhat foul language on an internet chat board??...geez. And to tell you the truth, I wasn't aware that I was not allowed to use the word ASS. If there is a terms of service for this site, I'd like to be directed to it.
My, my, but we are sensitive.

Thanks for confirming my immature kid suspicions.

Hardly anyone complains about foul language on internet chat boards - which is why I seldom participate. On our chat board, where I do show up from time to time, it hasn't been much of an issue. Most of the SVXers are civil and well-mannered. As far as movies or TV goes, that's partially to blame for the insensitivity that's displayed in society today. I live in the real world, too. The difference is: I'd like it changed for the better, not worse.

This family friendly opinion is not just mine, but has been expressed by several others on this site.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 04-09-2002, 02:04 PM
punisher

I'm not really concerned with what you perceive to be the sins of society. Of all things to complain about, language really is not high on the list. I am, however, very concerned with your condescending attitude. I've ammended my post so as to do my best to end the issue. But please do not walk around thinking you're some kind of savior due to your censored vocabulary. We're all in this together, even those who cus like sailors.
Old 04-09-2002, 02:08 PM
punisher

Now that I think about it...

Perhaps you took exception to the way I described those who drive in a slow fashion because you yourself suffer from that very malady? And the term 'Family Friendly' is pretty subjective. I thought I was being family friendly.
Old 04-09-2002, 07:16 PM
suby_qa

FYI: 97 & 99 Legacy hood scoops are the same design. They both have the inner covers in place to prevent water and debris from entering.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:04 PM

Hey Punisher,

I have owned my 92 SVX LS-L since May '95, and let me tell you that the only thing an SVX shares with any other Subaru is the name Subaru. Don't try to compare it to anything else Subaru makes, because THERE IS NO COMPARISON!! You are talking about a vehicle that can hold its own against LEXUS, BMW, MERCEDES, JAGUAR, AND OTHER FINE EXOTICS. Trust me, take an SVX out for a 2 mile test drive & you too will be TOAST! (just like the rest of us SVX'ers). Take it from me, the SVX is one sweet ride!

Mike

I noticed that ALL SVX'ers say 1 of these 2 similar phrases:
1. "I need my SVX fix." (when they haven't driven it for awhile)
2. "I need my SVX fixed." (when it must go to the shop for repairs)
Old 04-11-2002, 02:35 PM
Subie Two

I own a 2000 Legacy GT (2.5) and a 1995 SVX. There is no comparison at all. Next to the SVX, the Legacy handles like a roly-poly Buick. Even though the Legacy has a 5-speed, it's acceleration is nothing like the SVX's. The interoir design and materials of the 2000 Legacy can't hold a candle to the SVX. (Anyone want to buy a mint-condition red Legacy GT with 40K miles?)

BTW, the quote about the simple mind trying to express itself forcefully was Samuel Clemmens aka Mark Twain, I think. (Though he had a pretty foul mouth for his day.)
Old 04-11-2002, 05:36 PM
punisher

Ohhh no no no!! You guys arent supposed to tell me how awesome the SVX is!! It hurts me to be so interested in a car that supposedly has pretty major problems (tranny and wheels). I guess the 95 has the upgraded transimission though, so that may be a safter model to go with.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:51 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Now that I think about it...

Quote:
Perhaps you took exception to the way I described those who drive in a slow fashion because you yourself suffer from that very malady? And the term 'Family Friendly' is pretty subjective. I thought I was being family friendly.
So I go and dont look at a thread for 3 days and it all goes to heck. Y'all need to calm it down over here.

<steps back>

-Mike
Old 04-12-2002, 11:01 AM
Certified Porschephile

I've talked with a few Subaru people and they have stated that the Legacy GT will get either the EJ20 motor (WRX Turbo) or the new 3.0 H-6 in a year or two. You can get the 3.0 in an Outback sedan, but the GT looks better. Subaru will also be importing 1500 EJ20 Foresters at the end of 2002.