Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northeast Region

Old 01-22-2006, 02:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to nysvxryder
Suggestions on a 5mt swap in upstate NY...

Hey everyone, i was just writing to find out if anyone had any info on any good mechanics in NY who have experiances with the 5 speed swap. since i'll be off to college next summer the last thing that i want is for me to get there and then have my orignal tranny go on me (119kmi). also, i was hoping to find out how much i should be expecting to spend. when i sell my modded '03 yamaha banshee i should have around $4000 sitting around and i think that that should be somewhere in the ball park of what i'll need. (if anyone's interested in the wheeler PM me ). thanks for any advice and keep me posted. and just a little thing that i've been wondering, has anyone ever attempted to swap a WRX STi engine and tranny into an SVX? that seems like it'd be nasty and i was wondering if it was even possible. anyways thanks again.

-Mike Gergich
Upstate NY
Old 01-22-2006, 03:08 PM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30976
Old 01-22-2006, 03:44 PM

thanks, thats very helpful, it's not something that i'm going to jump on right away but it's something that i'm seriously considering for the summer, i just thought that i could start getting things lined up before then. i'm thinking that i could also use some advice about what would be the best donor car to get the tranny from.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:44 PM

and all the other needed parts
Old 01-22-2006, 05:05 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
There have been quite a few recent threads by people doing manual tranny swaps. Have you done a search?

IMHO, the best donor car for a 5MT is an '04+ WRX. The WRX gearing is a good match for the SVX motor, and the '04+ WRX 5MT is the strongest of the USDM 5MTs. If you keep a look-out, its not too hard to find a WRX 5MT and all the needed parts for less than $1500.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
There have been quite a few recent threads by people doing manual tranny swaps. Have you done a search?

IMHO, the best donor car for a 5MT is an '04+ WRX. The WRX gearing is a good match for the SVX motor, and the '04+ WRX 5MT is the strongest of the USDM 5MTs. If you keep a look-out, its not too hard to find a WRX 5MT and all the needed parts for less than $1500.
Agreed, but I thought '03 was when they widened the gears?

Here's a basic partslist.

Shifter + Boot
Pedal Set
Rear Diff (won't need for WRX)
Clutch Master/Slave Cylinders
Clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate
Flywheel + Bolts
Starter + Bolts
Old 01-23-2006, 12:42 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
Agreed, but I thought '03 was when they widened the gears?

Yep, I think you are right, but it seems that the switch was mid-year '03. I have a friend installing an RA gearset in an '03 box now, and the stock gears are the same width as the '02 gears he took out of my tranny.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Yep, I think you are right, but it seems that the switch was mid-year '03. I have a friend installing an RA gearset in an '03 box now, and the stock gears are the same width as the '02 gears he took out of my tranny.
Oh, I see. Gotta love subaru making things tricky
Old 01-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Thats why I told Shotgunslade to get an 04 wrx trans when I did his swap. he was making power over stock though so he needed it more than others

Tom

Last edited by TomsSVX; 01-23-2006 at 09:58 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: