Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I miss driving in the snow... I used to do that 3 years ago

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:21 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
I miss it too, and I'm in Ohio.. It was 55 degrees today
Old 01-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
I feel like superman in the snow when my friggin tires aren't bald But now I'm not much better than a FWD with my dying tranny and bald tires. But I'm working on it.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:23 PM

mine is the best snow driver i had ever seen or driven in - AND thats with balding all seasons

although,
no car is any match for black ice, as i found out, almost totalling my svx (pictures and story to come) as of saturday the 14th going about _4_ mph near Truckee, CA in a CRAZY CRAZY blizzard

bummer for me... anyhoo (damn $1100 window)

i agree, throwing 'er into a sideways slide and then correcting with ease in the snow has to be the most fun thing i have ever done in a car. ever.

and i have abused many a vehicle and done many a backyard rally and such, and the svx is the best handling and best mannered car in the snow i have ever been in - including trucks, 4runners, awd audis and others....
that is, until you get high sided in the snow and have to dig out....

but the best is just blasting thru snow that you know is way too deep to go through and just powering on thru
Old 01-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It's really dependant on the tires. The manual SVX's are more fun as they tend to act like a RWD when playing. The auto SVX's are going to be safer.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
With the tires I have, I pretty much own the road as long as it's covered in powder.
If it's just slick I need to stay away from people.

I almost rear ended some little econo car that was taking half an hour to make it's turn after I hit some ice. The guy saw me coming and I still had to swerve. I turned the wheel so hard I ended up two lanes over in opposing traffic, then I cranked it back just as hard, avoiding the large truck barreling toward me. ABS was turned off.

I'd say the SVX handles well in any situation.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:43 AM
<<<Alcyone

Nokian Studded Hakkapeliitta 2's 225/50-16

The only problem I've had is driving though 8"-12" of wet slushy crud. If I'm on ice or fresh snow, I haven't had any problems.

My wife and I work at a local ski resort and the plows don't always have a chance to clear the roads and parking lots before we have to be there. It's not unusual to make snow angels with the car doors in the morning when we get to work or in the evening when we head home.

Part way to work there's a town with a 40mph speed limit, I always obey the speed limits in town as the people in their 'bulletproof' sport utes blast by me. Just outside of this town is where the road normally starts to get slippery. I then pass everyone back in the next 2-5 miles as they crawl up the hill or pull over to put chains on.

I carry chains because they're required, I doubt if I'll use them!

Editorial Rant Warning!!!'Guests' arrive at the resort as early as 7:00 AM and stand around complaining that we aren't open for them - The posted opening time is 9:00 AM . . . End Of Rant

I LOVE my SVX
Dan
Old 01-18-2006, 09:52 PM
SVX Voyeur

I have the Nokians too
1981 FIAT Spider 120,000Miles

50% Boxer
Old 01-19-2006, 09:42 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

First year I ownes it I pulled a Toyota Tacoma outta a ditch that he had slid into...

That was fun

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-19-2006, 04:56 PM

You mean to tell me that you all don't have your SVXs tucked in and away from the white stuff?

I don't think my SVX has ever seen snow. The original owner (I am 2nd) was a little, ummmm, fanatical about the car.

My daily is a 93 legacy and it rips it up going up the Timberline RD. Although I did a 180 coming down the other day (I tried to get by w/out chains).

I have seen a SVX in the lower/maintenance lot at Timberline, I wonder if that is Intelisevil's?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:07 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Augur
I have seen a SVX in the lower/maintenance lot at Timberline, I wonder if that is Intelisevil's?
Keep going around the mountain to Mount Hood Meadows, go to the secondary parking area, (Hood River Meadows, aka HRM). Go up to the 'Day Lodge' and you'll find a '92 Teal & Road Grime SVX every Friday through Tuesday.

Dan
Old 01-20-2006, 09:17 AM

Well,

Mine sucks compared to my Turbo XT with the Nokian HQ's on it. Plus the XT is lifted and running taller 14" wheels. Svx is to close to the ground but it makes a great snowplow from the barn to the house. Leaves a nice path only 2" deep behind it.