Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-20-2005, 11:00 PM

Boxer engines

Can someone tell me what cars subaru has made with a boxer engine besides just our beloved SVX'x and the new B9 Tribeca? My father told me they were also put into the WRX's and Outbacks, but I just dont know...
Old 12-20-2005, 11:10 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Subaru has been using boxer engines since the 1965 Subaru 1000, their first car the 360 used an 4 cyclinder incline engine. Since then Subaru used the boxer configuration on a majority of their engines. In other words almost every one of Subaru's cars uses a variation of the boxer engine from the Impreza to the Tribeca. The only cars not to have this type of engine and use an I4 instead is the 360, R2, Vivio, Pleo and modern R2. Every other Subaru uses the boxer engine.

If you want to know the difference between the boxer engine and other types of configurations just look at this annimated gif. The main reason for it being called a "boxer" is because the cylinders configuration make the entire engine or at least the block shaped like a box.

Other here probably have vastly more information and can explain more of the technical aspects better.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
I dont know abt the very old models, but all of the Subaru line-up now comes with boxer engines. You can get the whole history of Subaru at Subaru-Global. Hope this helps you understand about Subaru in more detail.

-Pavan
Old 12-21-2005, 12:09 AM
SlonSVX5mt

since like 1985 subby been makin boxers

in all cars
Old 12-21-2005, 05:33 AM

I'll never forget the first time I popped the hood on what would become my '86 GL wagon and saw that gutsy little boxer four with the spare tire atop the gearbox. What a surprise to see a north/south powertrain configuration, the way God intended. I'd had no idea.

dcb
Old 12-21-2005, 05:54 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Boxer engines are in every subaru.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-21-2005, 09:37 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWER on demand
Boxer engines are in every subaru.

Yes, but only if you mean current Subarus. The Justy (87-94) had an in line 3 cylinder.

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 12-21-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:52 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985
Can someone tell me what cars subaru has made with a boxer engine besides just our beloved SVX'x and the new B9 Tribeca? My father told me they were also put into the WRX's and Outbacks, but I just dont know...
A Boxer style engine is an engine with a horizontal layout. The pistons moving toward each other from opposite sides resembles two "boxers" punching at each other, and hence the name Boxer engine. Currently Subaru uses this configuration in every U.S. vehicle.

What your father may be referring to is Subaru's six cylinder boxer engine, which has only been used in four U.S. models: the XT6 (2.7L), the SVX (3.3L), the Legacy Outback (3.0) and the Tribeca (3.0L).

Dave
Old 12-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
maybe it's called a boxer because if you look at the motion of the piston it looks like two arms on each side trying to punch the head?? I dunno but its a thought

Tom
Old 12-21-2005, 11:03 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
maybe it's called a boxer because if you look at the motion of the piston it looks like two arms on each side trying to punch the head?? I dunno but its a thought

Tom

If i remember correctly that is why they are called boxer engines

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I always thought it was named after the dog.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Mabey its called a boxer engine because the engines inventor used to be an elf that packaged presents for santa clause in his special UPS warehouse up in canada.He named it out of bitter anguish over his previous employer, making him do a years work in a month, and it permantly had boxes in his dreams..All he could think about was boxes and horizontially opposed engines. HE was a weird elf..... But then again I might be a little off.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Mabey its called a boxer engine because the engines inventor used to be an elf that packaged presents for santa clause in his special UPS warehouse up in canada.He named it out of bitter anguish over his previous employer, making him do a years work in a month, and it permantly had boxes in his dreams..All he could think about was boxes and horizontially opposed engines. HE was a weird elf..... But then again I might be a little off.
Bingo!! My money is on this one.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 12-23-2005, 06:30 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
"A flat engine or boxer engine or horizontally opposed engine is a type of engine where the pistons lie horizontally opposed, with pairs of cylinders on the left and the right, as opposed to most modern engines where all pistons are inline, or the alternating pistons are positioned in a "V"-angle.

Experts distinguish between V-at-180° engines and real boxer engines (horizontally opposed engines). The horizontally opposed engine has one crank pin per piston while in the V-at-180° engine two pistons share the same crank pin.

The benefit of using an horizontally opposed engine engine versus a V engine is that it provides perfect balance because each piston's movement is exactly counterbalanced by the corresponding piston movement of the opposite side. These engines can run perfectly smooth and free of vibrations with a four-stroke cycle, regardless of number of cylinders, and do not require the counterweights on the crankshaft to balance the weight of the reciprocating parts which are required in other engine configurations.

Automobiles and motorcycles powered by a flat engine generally have a lower center of gravity, giving better stability and control. However, these engines are also wider than normal engines and are more expensive to build than traditional engines and, thus, are not widely used by automobile manufacturers."......answers.com
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 12-23-2005, 09:28 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
Yes, but only if you mean current Subarus. The Justy (87-94) had an in line 3 cylinder.

Dave
Not all current Subarus have boxers either. Remember Subaru/Robin makes V-twins, OHV and OHC single cylinder engines. I don't think the current Sambar has a boxer either. Isn't it a 660cc V twin?