How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Angry I finally F***ed up my SVX

I was heading back home from my friend’s house (just 4 hours ago) which was 5 minutes away from mine, doing 90 Km/h on an open road at 2am, when suddenly a Mercedes blocked my path at no more than 60 feet in front of me. I had three choices, either cut it in half killing everyone inside it (they were 4) or hit a tree on my left, killing myself, or try to avoid everyone and go to the right which I had the most space than the other two but go into a gas station which I had some narrow space to try to evade everything…

Steered to the right, locked my wheels but the car kept crawling until I hit first a 6 inch high sidewalk on which the car bounced a went into the store which closes the gas station’s door (at a point where it was about to stop). I stepped outside the car shaking… and examined my front end. Bumper broken, fender bent, wheel cracked, lower assembly bent, headlight broken from underneath it, corner broken also, oil leaking out from my front differential. I guess the axle messed something inside it… here is how the accident happened:

Grey is me heading upwards, Blue is Mercedes blocking my path while coming from the left, Orange on the left is the tree with its round sidewalk, Red is a parked car near the gas fillers, White shape on the right is the gas station and in front of it, the three black dots are the fillers and in between is the tight space which I was attempting… and the orange dots are my path with wheels locking.

The good news is that the damage is limited to exterior parts while the chassis and the fender side of the engine are intact. I am concerned about the front differential.

Another good news is that today I have located a wrecked black SVX in Northern Lebanon, so I will be checking it for parts on Monday. Here are some pictures of the accident:

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Sorry about the accident, Danny.
Anything you can do about getting the MB driver to help with the rebuild?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
The worse thing is that the MB driver had no driver's license, no insurance and was held liable of 100% of the whole accident. Traffic laws in here judje that he was the cause of the accident, and because he had no driver's license, he will be liable for 100% for the damaged he caused me and for the gas station.

But I was really scr*w*d now because he is refusing to pay saying that we didn't even touch, so he had nothing to do with the accident.

the damage will cost me as a first estimate about $1500 in parts and fiberglass and paint.. and if I file a lawsuit against him, it could take years to get into a verdict and will cost 3 times more than the accident is worth..

I guess I had my christmas gift this year.

It is now 6.30 am, I havent slept yet, i am tired I cannot even see what I am typing, so pls excuse me guys, I need to get some sleep and wake up later with a clear conscious...

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
I'm sorry for you accident but it seems to me you were going a bit faster than you should have so close to an intersection (55 MPH for those American who cant do conversions ) late at night people do weird things and dont necessarily pay as close attention to the road so i generally driver slower and pay closer attention for morons who dont see me (like the 3 yr boy who fell on his scooter at 11 pm less than a car length from my car. i missed him by a few inches even though all i remember seeing was the flash of his scooter falling b/c he was wearing all black. yup 3 yrs old in the road in black at 11pm.)

At least its pretty much all repairable. did you exchange insurance (if you do that where your from) and all that stuff? Or did he consider it none of his fault and left the scene. i bet anyone in the gas station was more even afraid than you! Did you have to deal with the store attendants and al that too?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Ya can't fix stupid

So sorry that happened.

But the accident that took my 94 was pretty much the same, save the MB. A kid followed another car through an illegal turn - stopped right in the middle of the intersection when he finally saw me. Hell, I thought he was gonna keep going (I saw him) and there would not have been a problem, but he didn't - he admitted to the cop that he froze.

I clipped his rear quarter, setting off both airbags and ended up crossing the two north bound lanes (I was heading south) and ending up on that side on the shoulder.

I do remember looking through the airbag and seeing the front end of a truck as I was crossing the North bound lanes- lucky to still be here I guess.

The kid was crying by the time I pulled myself together and got out of the SVX - those damn air bags had me tangled up a bit.

It could've been worse. You had an angel with you.

1992 SVX LSL Pearl

1992 SVX LSi Ebony

1992 SVX LSL Silver - parts
Old 12-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingOfSpeed
I'm sorry for you accident but it seems to me you were going a bit faster than you should have so close to an intersection (55 MPH for those American who cant do conversions ) late at night people do weird things and dont necessarily pay as close attention to the road so i generally driver slower and pay closer attention for morons who dont see me (like the 3 yr boy who fell on his scooter at 11 pm less than a car length from my car. i missed him by a few inches even though all i remember seeing was the flash of his scooter falling b/c he was wearing all black. yup 3 yrs old in the road in black at 11pm.)

At least its pretty much all repairable. did you exchange insurance (if you do that where your from) and all that stuff? Or did he consider it none of his fault and left the scene. i bet anyone in the gas station was more even afraid than you! Did you have to deal with the store attendants and al that too?
The MB driver had no insurance.

IMO, 55 mph on an open road isn't really all that fast, intersection or not.

Danny, I know the sight of your SVX in such sad shape had to just make you sick. Hope you're able to get it back together soon.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 12-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
That bites Danny. Glad you 're OK however, and the car's back on the road soon.
As far as the MB driver, What comes around goes around.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 12-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
dang, I'm sorry to hear about that. Thank God you are ok though, wow, that could have been a very bad situation

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 12-11-2005, 01:15 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Thank you guys for all your support, I have just woke up and I am getting ready and assess my car in broad day light now. The thing that will keep me tangled up are the fiberwork. they will take a lot of time for sure

Old 12-11-2005, 02:21 AM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
I nearly cried when i saw the pics of ur car..... happy that your still alive but, you did very well not to kill your self and four others, that deserves praise!

hope everything works out for you my friend!

Regards
Jake

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 12-11-2005, 06:06 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Could have been much worse, considering you removed the bumpers
Old 12-11-2005, 06:54 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Thank you JJ and mike, the funny thing mike is that if I kept my bumpers on, my car's chassis would be for sure far worse than what is showing. The clever design of my front bumper and my luck to run on that gas station's "smooth" metal store, made my car slide on it because the edges of my fiber bumper are very rigid and they have a 1/4 circle shape. my car's impact was on the lower triangle's assembly and a little bit on that front bar holding the rad. As a conclusion, I will start with the mechanical stuff, allowing the car to be driveable again. Then the body shop will have to pull that bar like 0.5 centimeters to the right and another 0.5 centimeters to the front from the far right edge as I have measured the difference. I dunno about suspension, but I guess it also need to be pulled to the outside, I will know exactly how much as soon as I mount the new parts.

Of course my car will be dealt by the best bodyshop guy in the country, I won't be taking chances whatsoever.. he usually charges 3 times more than others for his accurate work. Once I saw a catalogue he has in his shop having all of cars dimensions both interior and exterior. I will try to take pictures of it if he allows me to. I saw our SVX's there once

The most thing I am sad about was my copper box which became like a chewing gum

The accident wasn't bad after all, but I am still worried about the oil leak that I am seeing underneath my car.

here are some updated pics taken today:

Old 12-11-2005, 06:56 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I'm sorry to hear about the accident Danny! Hope you get her fixed!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
You bet on it Chike, I will. I am also thinking of removing all my fiber parts, and keeping molds out of them. I was just thinking the same day about it even before the accident. It seems I have a 6th sense I dunno about. Now it is gonna take me forever to refix that right side of it.

If that accident desn't cost me as much as I am aiming for, I will redo a whole paintjob process.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:50 AM

Dan,
Sorry to hear about the accident. On the plus side, no one was hurt and it seems the worst of the damage is cosmetic. Considering you did the fiberglass work yourself it will be an easy (though time consuming) fix.
It also gives you an opportunity to make any changes to your design that you have been thinking about