IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-22-2005, 02:45 AM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Precious Words of Wisdom...

Say Bipa, this shop... ought to be a car showroom more than a service shop ,

Before the creation of the European Union, used car dealers over here tend to go to Switzerland to buy used cars... they had a flawless condition as if they were brand new. The same used car brought from Germany was a little cheaper than the same exact car brought from Switzerland. that's because Swiss cars were better maintained than German ones...
That's funny, because when we were considering briefly selling the car instead of fixing it, we were told it would be less valuable because we had imported it to Germany from Switzerland when we moved here. Germans don't trust imports, even Swiss!

Then again, that might have just been a line to try and get a better price.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:05 AM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
Your svx must be really happy now.

You too Enjoy the tour with your pics.

PS: are you going to make your tiger spin faster?
Well, Hubby is still grumbling a bit at the cost, but I'm totally satisfied and "happy" just isn't good enough to describe what I'm feeling. More like "ecstatic" or "overjoyed" or "tickled pink" errr.... maybe "tickled mica ruby"?

I might look around for another avatar, but my dancing Hobbes is still a good indicator of my mood lately.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:25 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
That's funny, because when we were considering briefly selling the car instead of fixing it, we were told it would be less valuable because we had imported it to Germany from Switzerland when we moved here. Germans don't trust imports, even Swiss!

Then again, that might have just been a line to try and get a better price.
But you said it yourself, maintenance in Switzerland is better than the one in Germany.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:29 AM
no limitation as limitation

wow, i love those winter rims. realy.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:47 AM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
wow, i love those winter rims. realy.
Yeah.... pure aesthetics

They are just heavy duty yet relatively inexpensive rims for winter that my Swiss mechanic uses for almost all his SVX customers. You'll notice in one of the pics that the silver SVX has the same rims for winter. But then you can get all sorts of cool hub caps. Except that ours aren't anything special. I'll take another pic as soon as I find ours and put them on. They got misplaced during our latest move but I've gotten it narrowed down to a 150km radius
Old 10-25-2005, 01:34 AM

Hi bipa

Could you give me the address and contact of this dealer in switzerland? I guess it is the same that services some of the svx-club-cars.

I gave mine for inspection to my local mechanic today. With only 60.000 km I don't expect anything major, but for the big service at 100.000 km I will be looking for a real expert.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:59 AM
Bipa

Sure, tell him Vera sent you You'll be very happy with the service!
you can also find him on the Subaru Switzerland web site listing of dealers http://www.subaru.ch/haendler-portrait.htm?id=13232

the address is:
Wolfgang Egelhofer AG Garage
Kesselbachstrasse 36
9450 Altstätten

Tel: 071 755 15 32 (from Germany dial 00 41 71 755 15 32)
Fax: 071 755 70 32
Email: egelhofer@bluewin.ch

Montag - Freitag 7.30 - 12.00 13.30 - 18.00
Samstag 7.30 - 12.00

For all you Americans who had a little trouble with geography in school, here's a few maps to help you out
I didn't take this route since I stopped overnight at the in-laws, but you see my starting and ending points

Top part is southern Germany, bottom left is Switzerland, bottom right is Austria.

I like to go through Constance (Konstanz in German) and stop at a cafe right on the lake. By going from Germany direct to Switzerland, I avoid having to buy an Austrian highway sticker. Austria and Switzerland do tolls a little differently than in North America. You buy stickers for your windshield as proof you've paid the toll. Swiss sticker for a year is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Austrian, so I just buy a 10-day Austrian sticker when I really need one.

Coming down from Sankt Margrethen on the A13, take the Kriessern exit.
On this map you can also see where I used to live, in Eichberg!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:41 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Oh I love the hours they operate. I've always wanted to settle down in Switzerland. Do they need a computer guy there?

Bipa, you'll get a PM from me later tonight
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-25-2005, 12:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to pipedream
Man, that Silver SVX with the black top but silver spoiler looks really fresh...

*gets to thinking....*
Old 10-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Congrats on getting your SVX back! Looks like I am not too far away from you right now. I am studying at the Fachhochschule in Ulm for the next couple of months.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 10-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
Oh I love the hours they operate. I've always wanted to settle down in Switzerland. Do they need a computer guy there?

Bipa, you'll get a PM from me later tonight
OK, but with the 6 hour time difference, you might not get an answer from me until tomorrow

I just got back from a 3 hour walk with the puppy. It wasn't meant to be a marathon 20km walk, but I got lost . I used to navigate around here by remembering various fields, eg. corn field on the left, funny greenish-yellowish plants on the right, then take a left on the little tractor path etc. Unfortunately, they've finally harvested the last few fields and one plot of empty lumpy soil looks pretty much like any other And don't forget, I'm a big city gal! I get confused by the hilly landscape with all the dirt farm roads around here which twist around any which way with no logical layout that I can see. North America is mostly laid out in a grid, but over here the paths and roads go by least resistance. Where cows used to walk regularly 500 years ago, that's where the road goes now.

Oh, well... it was dark by the time I got home, but thank goodness I have a pretty good sense of direction. Tomorrow I might get up the energy to go back and see where I took a wrong turn... but in daylight
Old 10-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXer95
Congrats on getting your SVX back! Looks like I am not too far away from you right now. I am studying at the Fachhochschule in Ulm for the next couple of months.
No kidding, you're only about 100-125km away from me! Would take me about 1.5 to 2 hours to get there (depending on traffic & construction) Or by train it takes about 2.5 hrs with only one change. (Ulm from Schwäbisch Hall-Hessental) Not bad either

Hmm... I've never really explored Ulm properly
Old 10-28-2005, 02:22 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
Well, Hubby is still grumbling a bit at the cost, but I'm totally satisfied and "happy" just isn't good enough to describe what I'm feeling. More like "ecstatic" or "overjoyed" or "tickled pink" errr.... maybe "tickled mica ruby"?

I might look around for another avatar, but my dancing Hobbes is still a good indicator of my mood lately.

Are you the one who's taking care of the cars in the family? Not many ladies will like to get involved with car maintenance stuff from my observation... If I have a partner next time, and, she's half of it like you regarding to car things, that might be fun

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 10-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Bipa

Originally Posted by SSSVX

Are you the one who's taking care of the cars in the family? Not many ladies will like to get involved with car maintenance stuff from my observation... If I have a partner next time, and, she's half of it like you regarding to car things, that might be fun

Yup... I take care of all the car stuff for both our cars. Have been doing it since I got my own first car, a Toyota Cressida way back when. I learned to drive on a Ford LTD Landau, over 400 cubic inches of power. I think it was a 1978, gold paint with a yellow/gold top and those famous rear wheel fenders. If I remember right, we got 8 miles to the gallon back then

I've loved a little extra power ever since

I'm definitely no mechanic, but I've learned a few things over the years. Mostly I've learned to leave car mechanics up to the professional mechanics. If something can go wrong, I'll break it, usually where nobody expected anything to break. Murphy should be my middle name! Now, however, I'm faced with the challenge of learning all car part names in German, along with a whole bunch other mechanical/technical terminology. Often ends up in a lot of pointing and hand waving at times.

What I really liked about Wolf, the Swiss mechanic, is that he and his team took the time to help me learn the German names for stuff. They always patiently played "what's this?" with me as I pointed at stuff. (even non-car things)

Aw..shucks... there's lots of car gals like me around. My advice would be to stop looking, and you'll simply bump into the right one as you go through life.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:02 AM
One teal and One yellow

You definitely love cars.

No, I aint really looking.......and hopefully will meet the very right one one day A friend of mine, she, yeah, I help her to do most of her maintenance on her little 4x4. Where do you need to do this! Tires cannot be changed one by one!! This and that. Turn out I go did everything for you.....

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05