How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by _mo_
That WRX bumper looks great, wonderful job. I'd love to see more pics. Some WRX folks who have switched to a front mount have removed the black bumper cover that you're talking about. It really is an eyesore. Fortunatly they've done a better job of covering it up in the newer designs.

Here's mine if you're interested:

You can access my locker for as many pics as you want... of babez... euh i mean body kit versions

You car looks amazing, especially those things over your projectors...

As for your headlights, where you got them from? they have lenses inside, do they come stock? because Tim-H is looking for a set like those...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric's97
The ones my friend and I have come across say the SVX is nothing but a car that's trying too hard to be an STI. They barly ackknowalge it's a Subaru.
That's OK. Some SVX owners don't like most other Subarus either. I think we have been dubbed the "SVX Snobs".

Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 10-19-2005, 08:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
i like both cars verry much . i have no complaints, now for sti owners diffrent story they get upset whene i told them they spent 10,000 to much for it and should have got a base wrx

10,000 can get you lots of goodys for a slow sti,
Old 10-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsvx
i like both cars verry much . i have no complaints, now for sti owners diffrent story they get upset whene i told them they spent 10,000 to much for it and should have got a base wrx

10,000 can get you lots of goodys for a slow sti,
its more like $6k or $7k, and that won't buy you another .5L of displacement, stronger 6 speed tranny, variable center differential, Brembo brakes, 17" BBS wheels, HID lights, intercooler sprayer, Defi EL gauges, better tires, and a bigger intercooler.

you spent your savings on go fast bits only, but that money could be thrown at the STi, too.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
I guess you haven't taken your piece of 50s technology to a track that actually has turns on it recently then or for that matter drive in rain or snow.
Sam Strano has. He runs ESP with a Camaro and has done very well in the nationals for a few years, to put it mildly.

Last edited by Red SVX 92; 10-19-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Money for what? We're pulling 1.45g out of our SVX currently which cost us a tad under a grand! .88g? My F-250 could pull that one out with proper shoes. You still didn't answer my question so I assume that you don't go to tracks with turns as you know you won't keep up.
I pulled 3.00g on my old SVX... That was how much my stereo and Koni/GCs and NOS cost me, total.

Seriously though, how the hell did you pull 1.45g? I've never heard of more than 1.2g.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
I'd have to agree with Ben. 0.88g's is not much these days - my former '00 SVT Lightning got the exact same skidpad result when Motortrend tested it - stuff big tires on anything (including a truck) and it'll stick better in steady state cornering.

A better measure of handling ability is slalom speed. Most magazines tested Lightnings at around 61mph, while a Firebird Firehawk (with the handling package and 275 sized tires f&r) got around 62-63mph in a R&T test. The SVX had slalom speeds of around 65-67mph, while a Mini Cooper S (which also has a similar 0.88g's on the skidpad) can do a slalom at over 71mph!!!

-Chike
Well said. Skidpad numbers are basically a tire test, not a car test. High skidpad numbers don't translate to better handling. Slalom is a better measure.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
I pulled 3.00g on my old SVX... That was how much my stereo and Koni/GCs and NOS cost me, total.

Seriously though, how the hell did you pull 1.45g? I've never heard of more than 1.2g.
That's what she g-teched at so I'd guess it'd be about 1.2-.3 in real life, but then again it might be 1.7gs. She'll pull hard enough to bang your helmet off the pillar so hard you leave a dent.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
Sam Strano has. He runs ESP with a Camaro and has done very well in the nationals for a few years, to put it mildly.
Yeah put a national level driver like Sam in a Yugo and more than likely he'll toast 3/4 of an HS class. I never said the car couldn't be made to handle decently. I have some friends who we toast weekly now (that are much better drivers than Dave and I are) driving that 50s technology and doing well in their classes but autoxing isn't racing. The car isn't nearly as important as the person behind the wheel.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:11 PM
_mo_

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
You can access my locker for as many pics as you want... of babez... euh i mean body kit versions

You car looks amazing, especially those things over your projectors...

As for your headlights, where you got them from? they have lenses inside, do they come stock? because Tim-H is looking for a set like those...
Thanks,

The fog light covers are replica STi mesh covers. I got them from gruppe-s.com. They may fit you're car too.

The headlights are JDM projecters from a WRX. I got them used for about $400. I modified them to have the correct beam pattern for the states, but Tim-H can get EDM's for a little more & they already have the correct beam pattern. For a lot more he could get HID projectors from an EDM or JDM STi.

BTW: The '06 standard WRX also has the 2.5l, as well as upgraded brakes that were the STi issue in Japan before they switched to the Brembos. If it was worth the extra $$$ to get the STi before, it's a lot closer now.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Hater

Quote:
BTW: The '06 standard WRX also has the 2.5l, as well as upgraded brakes that were the STi issue in Japan before they switched to the Brembos. If it was worth the extra $$$ to get the STi before, it's a lot closer now.
i was referring to solar's '04 WRX. the '06 WRX isn't as cheap as the previous models, so the new features aren't free.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks,

The fog light covers are replica STi mesh covers. I got them from gruppe-s.com. They may fit you're car too.

The headlights are JDM projecters from a WRX. I got them used for about $400. I modified them to have the correct beam pattern for the states, but Tim-H can get EDM's for a little more & they already have the correct beam pattern. For a lot more he could get HID projectors from an EDM or JDM STi.

I have been trying to find some used fog lights to fit my SVX, but i cannot find used ones over here, they want to sell me the whole bumper along with the fog lights...
And in the dealership they are running for $400... so i prefer keeping the $$$ to do another mod. I still have some time to find a used set alone at a better price. I bought 10$ original fog lights cover and put them instead for the time being

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
its more like $6k or $7k, and that won't buy you another .5L of displacement, stronger 6 speed tranny, variable center differential, Brembo brakes, 17" BBS wheels, HID lights, intercooler sprayer, Defi EL gauges, better tires, and a bigger intercooler.

you spent your savings on go fast bits only, but that money could be thrown at the STi, too.
hey land

variable dccd doesnt help in any way for accelration,, brembo brake dont make you go any faster,,nether does HID headlights and intercooler sprayer,

now the tranny is better i agree but the 2.5 block is difficult to work with and drive by wire,

you can pick up a wrx for around 23k new or a sti new for 32k abought a 9k price difrence for stuff that is just for the bling appeal,

just adding some usefull recources to the conversation =>
Old 10-19-2005, 02:32 PM
_mo_

Don't forget the suspension upgrades

I know plenty of WRX folks who have swapped out their whole suspension to be on par with the STi. Most STi guys I know only change out the springs...if that.

Oh, and there's the less restrictive exhaust, bigger turbo, forged internals, etc.

Don't get me wrong. If you're going to do some serious racing you're right, you'll upgrade most of these things anyway, so you might as well go with the base WRX. But if you don't need coilovers, 6pot brakes, cat-less exhaust, etc. but still want better performance than the WRX I think it's still cheaper to go with the STi.

Plus, you don't have to void your warrante by modding to get to 300hp

/jealous '03 WRX owner
Old 10-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Money for what? We're pulling 1.45g out of our SVX currently which cost us a tad under a grand! .88g? My F-250 could pull that one out with proper shoes. You still didn't answer my question so I assume that you don't go to tracks with turns as you know you won't keep up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
I'd have to agree with Ben. 0.88g's is not much these days - my former '00 SVT Lightning got the exact same skidpad result when Motortrend tested it - stuff big tires on anything (including a truck) and it'll stick better in steady state cornering.

A better measure of handling ability is slalom speed. Most magazines tested Lightnings at around 61mph, while a Firebird Firehawk (with the handling package and 275 sized tires f&r) got around 62-63mph in a R&T test. The SVX had slalom speeds of around 65-67mph, while a Mini Cooper S (which also has a similar 0.88g's on the skidpad) can do a slalom at over 71mph!!!
Ok fine, we'll get technical.

0.88g on the skidpad, 63mph in the slalom, and 13 flat in the 1/4 mile, STOCK.

Stock means one heck of a restrictive intake, crossflow (fake) duals, and 245 width Eagle RS-A tires. Then remember that these cars were pulling these numbers in 1998. You can't tell me that's not impressive.

Chike...you'd have to be more specific about the Firehawk with the "handling package" The FIREHAWK package was nothing more than appearance and handling. The regular Hawk got the FE4 suspension, which is the same as the WS6 and Camaro SS. That's likely the one you are talking about because i've seen those same numbers for those cars. You could upgrade to the FE5 suspension with thicker sway bars and stiffer springs, or drop 2g's and get the legendary 1LE suspension. Only 184 cars were ordered with the 1LE package from 1998-2000 when it ceased production. It offered adjustable shocks, progressive springs with a 1" lower ride height, and even thicker sway bars. These cars could pull well over 1g on the skidpad and were scratching at 70mph in the slalom. It was one of the best handling cars of it's time.

Considering the fact that the f-body was not designed with circuit racing in mind, i'd say it does pretty darn well.

Here I am again dragged into another one of these discussions.

How about we get back to the subject of the thread?

Last edited by Shadow248; 10-19-2005 at 08:46 PM.